The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old January 9th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Arrow Green Lantern issue #5 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

The conclusion to Sinestro and Hal Jordanís invasion of the planet Korugar! Can these two enemies cooperate long enough to liberate the world from the tyranny of the Sinestro Corps?

Story by
Geoff Johns
Art by
Doug Mahnke, Christian Alamy
Cover by
Doug Mahnke, Christian Alamy, Mike Choi
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Mon, January 9th, 2012
ddf

Old January 14th, 2012   Hand of Krona is offline   #2
Hand of Krona

Cool issue SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
seems like a serious blow to the Sinestro Corps and looks like the Guardians are pleased that they got Sinestro to weaken his own Corps whilst they prepare the Third Army to be led by the First Lantern.

Old January 14th, 2012   Green Guardsman is offline   #3
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

Another fine issue. GL is still my favorite DCnu title. Although, that may change when Earth 2 goes on sale.

Old January 14th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Wasn't expecting Sinestro to toss Hal aside the way he did. I thought this experience would get him to realize how much he enjoyed being a GL and possibly getting out from under the possible influence of the yellow ring he's been wearing get him to think just how much what he wants is similar to what the Guardians want. I've always wondered if the original ring Sinestro got from the Weaponers influenced him in anyway.

This issue pretty much confirms that Cowgirl is out of the picture.

Old January 14th, 2012   Thrillho is offline   #5
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

Wasn't expecting Sinestro to toss Hal aside the way he did.
ddf
jafabian View Post
This is Sinestro, though, and I mean the current scheming variety. Sinestro has just seen to it that Hal has a power ring that the Guardians don't know about it, but no power battery so he can't light it up and give himself away. Add to that the fact that Sinestro can make his battery go where he wants it to, and I see this as Sinestro turning Hal into a Plan B. (So why doesn't Sinestro just explain his scheme to Hal? Because then Hal would probably go rushing in and ruin Sinestro's plans.)

Props to Hal for saying something smarter than I've heard him say in a while: he doesn't think he is capable of making it work with Carol, but he wants to.

Props to Sinestro for telling the children not to praise him; I'm starting to side with the folks who have suggested that, now that Sinestro has divested himself of yellow, he's regaining a level of clarity we've never seen in him ... I wonder if there's a certain yellow bug in his past too?

Old January 15th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #6
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Agreed that Sinestro is a schemer. In fact, I question if the "dumbing down" of Hal has Sinestro written all over it. After all, Hal's wearing a ring given to him by Sinestro. And Sinestro hints that he knows that something has happened to Hal when he says the yellow power battery was trying to help Hal.

Interesting revelation that Sinestro has broken a power ring twice.

Old January 15th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #7
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Boy is Sin making every GL trainer there ever was look stupid (Ke-Haan, Kilowog, Katma Tui, Tomar Re... none of them knew this stuff, but they were the Corps' top trainers?)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old January 15th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #8
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Props to Sinestro for telling the children not to praise him
ddf
Thrillho View Post
I liked that moment too. When the children started up, I literally said, "Not this again," but then he surprised me by shutting them down. Korugar must be the Stockholm Syndrome capital of the universe.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old January 16th, 2012   Hand of Krona is offline   #9
Hand of Krona

Boy is Sin making every GL trainer there ever was look stupid (Ke-Haan, Kilowog, Katma Tui, Tomar Re... none of them knew this stuff, but they were the Corps' top trainers?)
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
To be fair, Sinestro did say that the Guardians didn't like the Corps knowing too much about the capabilities of the Power Rings. Its only because he defied them did he learn these secrets. The others are all loyal Green Lanterns who practically never challenge the Oans.

Old January 16th, 2012   DRMOUSE2814 is offline   #10
DRMOUSE2814
Beta Lantern

To be fair, Sinestro did say that the Guardians didn't like the Corps knowing too much about the capabilities of the Power Rings. Its only because he defied them did he learn these secrets. The others are all loyal Green Lanterns who practically never challenge the Oans.
ddf
Hand of Krona View Post
We've yet to see how much pre-Flashpoint & pre-Crisis history survives, but Sinestro made a habit of sneaking into where he wasn't invited to learn secrets. Seeing he believed in Abin Sur who also had doubts about the Guardians, it's not a stretch he would keep whatever secrets he learned.

Old January 16th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #11
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

ddf
Hand of Krona View Post
We've yet to see how much pre-Flashpoint & pre-Crisis history survives, but Sinestro made a habit of sneaking into where he wasn't invited to learn secrets. Seeing he believed in Abin Sur who also had doubts about the Guardians, it's not a stretch he would keep whatever secrets he learned.
ddf
DRMOUSE2814 View Post
I'd go with all of that, but Sin did say to Hal "you really weren't trained by anyone else after me" in issue #3 (implying that any GL trainer worth his salt should know this stuff)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old January 27th, 2012   Kaltealiava is offline   #12
Kaltealiava
Decompressing

Default Green Lantern issue #5 Preview Discu

Not a fan of Geoffs depiction of the Guardians but aside from that the whole issue was good Really hoping that after that last page, Hal would be back as a Green Lantern by the end of the 1st arc

Maybe make him into a renegade Lantern out to prove how wrong the Guardians are Hal vs the rest of the Corps again And in the end prove to all of them especially to the Guardians how he is in the right Maybe even justify Sinestro