The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 21st, 2011   Truxillogical is offline   #33
Truxillogical
Neo Geoffan

to answer thread question

i don't know if Geoff WILL continue with Flash after Flashpoint

but i do believe wholeheartedly that he SHOULD continue Flash

if they want to build up a solid foundation for Barry for modern readers they need a consistent artist and writer on the book for an extended, well planned, butt kicking run.
ddf
virtuadept View Post

I agree that you definitely want a consistent writer for a long period of time (I like rotating artists, though, even if it's just two of 'em), but I'm not sure that person needs to, or even should be Johns right now.

Post Flashpoint could well be a good spot for him to step back, get a co-writer, something like that. Lately, Flash has been reminding me of the way I felt when Burton released Corpse Bride and Charlie & The Chocolate Factory--both were enjoyable enough, but you could tell he and Elfman were spreading themselves thin. It would be nice to see a Flash book by someone whose main focus was the book, whereas Johns is basically caretaker of the DCU these days. Certainly, he gives it direction, but maybe we could see a different voice on it. Someone who can find a way to make it less of a one-man show, perhaps?

Old May 21st, 2011   JRM is offline   #34
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Nothing annoys me more than wasted plotlines that don't go anywhere. I'm irritated right now that Geoff never finished up Superman (you can't think War of the Supermen was the story they wanted to tell) or the Legion properly before going on to the Flash. I think he'll stay on, but I also really HOPE he will stay on.
ddf
SageShinigami View Post
On this, sorry, I'm so beyond glad that Paul was freed up and that Geoff's Legion stuff was stopped. It is by a huge distance the work that he has done that I disliked the most. I think I hate it more than the Supergirl phase of the 3-boot and for the first time in nearly 35 years I quit reading the Legion at that point.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old May 21st, 2011   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #35
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Nothing annoys me more than wasted plotlines that don't go anywhere. I'm irritated right now that Geoff never finished up Superman (you can't think War of the Supermen was the story they wanted to tell) or the Legion properly before going on to the Flash. I think he'll stay on, but I also really HOPE he will stay on.
ddf
SageShinigami View Post
Geoff did it too with his HAWKMAN run. There was quite a few plots started and then abandoned, presumably, so he could go write Teen Titans and Green lantern Rebirth. It always bummed me out because I felt that HAWKMAN was his best work. It seemed like it was going to be his Starman run. If you never read it you should check it out.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old May 21st, 2011   married guy is offline   #36
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Bart's book got better when Guggenheim took over. Despite being brought in to end the book.

I'd love to see how he'd handle Barry, and the Flash family. He's a better writer than a lot give him credit for being.
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Couldn't agree more! I was disappointed when Flash:FMA ended. I thought Marc's issues were a gigantic step in the right direction. He was never going to be able to make the monthly sustainable, but I would have liked to have seen another 6 months worth of issues from him.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 21st, 2011   married guy is offline   #37
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

In regards to Geoff staying, I hope he doesn't.

I think he has had a very long with the book, (taking in 3 mini series, a Secret Files & the monthly) and it's time for a fresh take.

I've made no secret that I have been very disappointed with the relaunch, as it's never seemed to get out of second gear, and it's time for someone elses take on Barry Allen.

And there are literally dozens to choose from.

Off the top of my head I'd read any Flash book by: Guggenheim, Busiek, Morrison, Tomasi, Andreyko, Simone, Messner-Loebs, Marz, Winick the list goes on and on and on.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 21st, 2011   bookwriter is offline   #38
bookwriter
Slow Going

No, I don't think Geoff will write FLASH after FLASHPOINT. I remember when he relaunched Justice Society of America. I couldn't really understand why that was done, and I didn't enjoy as much as JSA.

I think he will continue with Green Lantern and write Aquaman and the rumored JLA title with Grant Morrison. I think Geoff will write another team book.

I was excited when Geoff was writing FLASH:REBIRTH, but I think because of the delays, I didn't like it as much. Same with FLASH title. The delays kind of killed it for me.

I read the first issue of FLASHPOINT, and I really like it. Hopefully there won't be any delays.

When I wake up every morning, I say: "Variety is the spice of life."
Old May 21st, 2011   Heatwave the Rogue is offline   #39
Heatwave the Rogue
Barry Allen's #1 fan!

I hope Geoff Johns stays on the Flash and gives it more attention and focus as a top priority among his projects.

There's a Flash section here? Where is it? ;-)
Old May 21st, 2011   Penny Dreadful is offline   #40
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

Couldn't agree more! I was disappointed when Flash:FMA ended. I thought Marc's issues were a gigantic step in the right direction. He was never going to be able to make the monthly sustainable, but I would have liked to have seen another 6 months worth of issues from him.
ddf
married guy View Post
What was the full story re Flash: FMA? Why was it cancelled so soon?

Topic: I have no problem with Johns continuing if a. the book publishes on time and b. Johns focuses on characterization more than events.

Old May 21st, 2011   jafabian is offline   #41
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I hope Geoff Johns stays on the Flash and gives it more attention and focus as a top priority among his projects.
ddf
Heatwave the Rogue View Post

I'm thinking something has to give. He won't give up his CCO duties and I doubt he'll give up GL. That means at some point Flash or Aquaman have got to be let go, IMO. I'd be surprised if continued to write three books.

Old May 21st, 2011   Penny Dreadful is offline   #42
Penny Dreadful

I'm thinking something has to give. He won't give up his CCO duties and I doubt he'll give up GL. That means at some point Flash or Aquaman have got to be let go, IMO. I'd be surprised if continued to write three books.
ddf
jafabian View Post
OTOH, after putting all his energy into rebooting Flash, I don't know if he'll jump ship after Flashpoint. I could see him turning GL over to someone else.

Old May 21st, 2011   jafabian is offline   #43
jafabian
Iím not dead.

OTOH, after putting all his energy into rebooting Flash, I don't know if he'll jump ship after Flashpoint. I could see him turning GL over to someone else.
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post

He stayed on Legion long enough to get it established. I'm thinking that's his plan for either Flash or Aquaman.

Old May 21st, 2011   vh4ever is offline   #44
vh4ever*
DOOM!

He stayed on Legion long enough to get it established. I'm thinking that's his plan for either Flash or Aquaman.
ddf
jafabian View Post
be honest, you all know, you're only getting an arc or two at best for Aquaman, anything more than that is icing...Jurgens saved Booster Gold after all...

Old May 22nd, 2011   Truxillogical is offline   #45
Truxillogical
Neo Geoffan

ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
Unless he's putting it in order for someone else to take it in a direction he'd like it to go.

Old May 22nd, 2011   TTitanFan25 is offline   #46
TTitanFan25
Geoffan

He writes a great Wally, not so much with Barry. That title has been a dud.

Old May 22nd, 2011   Penny Dreadful is offline   #47
Penny Dreadful

Wait...what was the story with Guggenheim and his tenure on the Flash title?

Old May 22nd, 2011   Sentinel119 is offline   #48
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

I think it depends on the reception of the new Aquaman book. If Aquaman's a hit, I'd say one more post-Flashpoint arc before handing it off to someone else. Straczynski would be a good choice.
ddf
Stephen Henel View Post
But JMS would leave the book midarc after he got bored with it.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right