The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 28th, 2010   stephens2177 is offline   #49
stephens2177
persona non grata

Combination of the old YJ book,the classic TT,the present TT,and yes tiny titans.

I asked which robin and kid flash welcomed conner back,because two reasons-1 they didnt have any problem using dick and wally as conners friends in the book,when they knew tim and bart were his friends really,and -2 i didnt hear anybody get ticked when that book came out,where was everyone then? It was still a outlet to "get it right",but they didnt.they played up the YJ4 in that book,so to me it was like calling the cartoon Young Justice.

No its not perfect,but it "might" have the feel of the YJ4 (or 3),just like the tiny titans did,you never know.

Heck im 1000 percent in just because of superboy,so i know im gonna love it.

Old July 28th, 2010   heffison is offline   #50
heffison
Lapsed Reader

Combination of the old YJ book,the classic TT,the present TT,and yes tiny titans.

I asked which robin and kid flash welcomed conner back,because two reasons-1 they didnt have any problem using dick and wally as conners friends in the book,when they knew tim and bart were his friends really,and -2 i didnt hear anybody get ticked when that book came out,where was everyone then? It was still a outlet to "get it right",but they didnt.they played up the YJ4 in that book,so to me it was like calling the cartoon Young Justice.

No its not perfect,but it "might" have the feel of the YJ4 (or 3),just like the tiny titans did,you never know.

Heck im 1000 percent in just because of superboy,so i know im gonna love it.
ddf
stephens2177 View Post
Tiny Titans had already established itself as not strictly based on any one version of the Teen Titans, and not even remotely connected to main DCU continuity. It couldn't be, these characters were not superheroes when they were little kids. Besides, "Lunch Lady Darkseid." This is clearly not a book to take particularly seriously.

Even if that had been their version of Tim as Robin, and Bart had been in the Kid Flash suit, this would not have felt like an actual Young Justice reunion. It would have been a cute Tiny Titans-type of story. And aside from letting us know there was something between Superboy and Cassie, they never tried to make that issue look "Young Justice specific." (And I'm glad they didn't bother, because Tiny Match was hilarious.)

The cartoon, on the other hand, is specifically called "Young Justice," and could very well have served as a recreation of that group. The people behind it have chosen not to do that, while still using the name. I'm hoping plans are for this team to come closer to the traditional YJ as time moves on.

And yes, I'll be watching either way, to see Superboy's entry into animation.

Old July 29th, 2010   stephens2177 is offline   #51
stephens2177
persona non grata

I got the YJ4 feel from tiny titans that issue.

If there wasnt a johnny dc comic based on the new YJ show i would be worried about the show influencing the main dc universe books,but its gonna have its own ongoing book to,so it should stay nicely contained.

Well maybe they will move wally and dick up in age and character.

Just dont kill miss martian please,i love that character,and i love the mind blasts,its so much better than martian vision,which makes makes martians look like kryptonian ripoffs,when theyre not.

Superboy should have BOTH kryptonian and telekinetic powers.

Old July 29th, 2010   JRM is offline   #52
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I got the YJ4 feel from tiny titans that issue.

If there wasnt a johnny dc comic based on the new YJ show i would be worried about the show influencing the main dc universe books,but its gonna have its own ongoing book to,so it should stay nicely contained.

ddf
stephens2177 View Post
There will be spilage over time, concepts conceived on the TV show or within a JohnnyDC book will be grabbed and used by a TT writer in the future who liked them. It`s the same in reverse, creative people will borrow and adapt concepts that interest them. In some cases they become "iconic" in the mind of a young and one day potential creator and then applied when they make the big leagues - isn't this the root of the "Superfriends/Silver Age" revival going on currently at DC. Take what I liked as a kid, and then up-date it as I would have hope it would have been done back then ...

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 29th, 2010   Joey Wilson is offline   #53
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

So now we know more about the impending Young Justice cartoon, including the plan to have a comic book equivalent as a kid's book. As far as the regular DC books are concerned, the show is specifically not set on the New Earth of main continuity, and the cast is such a mish-mash of eras that it would be pointless to try and twist Teen Titans into a de facto book version of the YJ cartoon anyway.

Looks like the only real Young Justice that will see print will be any reprints DC releases to trade on the name.

But since the cartoon group does have a slot in DC's multiverse, maybe someday we'll get at least an issue, Teen Titans or maybe a Young Justice special, where the former YJ members of New Earth meet up with the new kids.
ddf
heffison View Post
This seems like the best thing DC could do here. YJ fans get a book, but it doesn't trouble continuity for TT

Old July 29th, 2010   heffison is offline   #54
heffison
Lapsed Reader

Superboy should have BOTH kryptonian and telekinetic powers.
ddf
stephens2177 View Post
Since he's such a recent clone in the cartoon, maybe they'll start him out with limited powers and let him develop, as he did in the books. I don't remember if we saw him do anything in the preview that clearly established whether he was using K-powers or his TTK. I'd kind of like to watch as he has new powers pop up, though.

I'm curious to see what they say about why this clone was made, since Superman is alive and well, and I doubt they'd just toss in a mention of the whole Doomsday/resurrection thing as part of the backstory.

Old July 31st, 2010   SageShinigami is offline   #55
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

It looks like DC has already firmly commited to leaving Wonder Girl, Superboy, and Kid Flash as Teen Titans. Damien might only be in Teen Titans for the first arc before they give him a boot to Young Justice, and bring in Tim.

They can always bring Chris back give him a new name, then you have Iris as Impulse, Damien as whatever (I want Tim back as Robin he has made that name his.), and they can create a new wonder character, perhaps a Wonder Boy from the Olympians. Now throw in Miss Martian, the new Aqualad, and Arrowette and Empress, and you have a good new Young Justice.
ddf
Nightwing View Post
....Why do people like this idea? Its TERRIBLE. I used to wonder why creators would say fans don't make the best writers. I really don't anymore.

Young Justice came together because they weren't taken seriously, they were young, impulsive, brash, cocky, and wanted to have fun.
ddf
Yes they were. You're confusing perception with history. When Superboy, Robin, and Impulse came on to the scene, they spent several years developing and being their own people first. Robin in particular, appeared almost ten years before Young Justice was even conceived, became a prominent part of the Bat-universe, was given several mini-series and eventually his own ongoing, which was in its 60's or so by the time YJ #1 hit stands.

Superboy was around for five years, with his own ongoing for four years, and Impulse was just a little younger than both of them. They were all established heroes, and when they first decided to work together--BART wanted to have fun. Tim wasn't sure why he was there--just that he didn't want to become a dark jerk like his mentor, and Superboy...honestly, I'm not sure why Superboy was there.

But this whole, "they weren't taken seriously" deal...no, that's Teen Titans. Particularly Geoff's early run, where the mentors actually come and talk to Cyborg and Starfire. And worse yet, when Cyborg and Starfire tell the rest of the team they're not good enough to handle Deathstroke and to "stay in the Tower". That's a Geoff Johns retcon.

I LOVE Geoff's work. From Hawkman to JSA to Green Lantern to the Flash...but he's never known what to do with the teen characters as they were, and just retconned them until they fit his vision.

Even Young Justice. His prints are all over the cartoon team: His Teen Titans was the Wolfman/Perez line-up with Superboy added (and the new sidekicks), so now that he has a chance, of course he takes Dick Grayson and Wally West and makes them Robin and Kid Flash, respectively.

Aqualad and Miss Martian are Geoff Johns creations, and Superboy's still wearing that ridiculous jeans and a T-Shirt look. Artemis is, no doubt a story he wanted to tell in the comic books but could not.

When they got together they became more, they grew up they matured they became a family. The book evolved into what the Teen Titans are, except it had a different name. Teen Titans is just seen as more serious. But Robin, Kid Flash, and Wonder Girl excepted more than just their names when they took on the legacies they did. They took on the full legacy, that included the Teen Titans.
ddf
Ugh. They were more of a family as Young Justice than they've ever been as the Titans. The Young Justice team took on every threat in the book and came out of it more experienced, but with the same level of optimism and youthfulness.

The Teen Titans can't even take on the Fearsome Five (or whatever) without losing a member.

They've been pretending to be something they're not. From Conner and Bart to the entire team. These new sidekicks created their OWN legacy, and were blazing their own trail as their own people, but you STILL saw them eventually becoming Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Flash. Then they just decided to throw all of that away to embrace the tattered remains of a group that even the original members couldn't keep together. And for what? Because fans can't let go of the past.

Sometimes that's okay. You get stuff like Geoff Johns' Flash, which so far has been brilliant, and I suspect my biggest complaints concerning the universe (Barry being the Speed Force, Wally West and how they will handle him) will be fixed soon.

But sometimes, you end up breaking something that worked very well.

Old July 31st, 2010   JRM is offline   #56
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

....Why do people like this idea? Its TERRIBLE. I used to wonder why creators would say fans don't make the best writers. I really don't anymore.

Yes they were. You're confusing perception with history. When Superboy, Robin, and Impulse came on to the scene, they spent several years developing and being their own people first. Robin in particular, appeared almost ten years before Young Justice was even conceived, became a prominent part of the Bat-universe, was given several mini-series and eventually his own ongoing, which was in its 60's or so by the time YJ #1 hit stands.

Superboy was around for five years, with his own ongoing for four years, and Impulse was just a little younger than both of them. They were all established heroes, and when they first decided to work together--BART wanted to have fun. Tim wasn't sure why he was there--just that he didn't want to become a dark jerk like his mentor, and Superboy...honestly, I'm not sure why Superboy was there.

But this whole, "they weren't taken seriously" deal...no, that's Teen Titans. Particularly Geoff's early run, where the mentors actually come and talk to Cyborg and Starfire. And worse yet, when Cyborg and Starfire tell the rest of the team they're not good enough to handle Deathstroke and to "stay in the Tower". That's a Geoff Johns retcon.

I LOVE Geoff's work. From Hawkman to JSA to Green Lantern to the Flash...but he's never known what to do with the teen characters as they were, and just retconned them until they fit his vision.

Even Young Justice. His prints are all over the cartoon team: His Teen Titans was the Wolfman/Perez line-up with Superboy added (and the new sidekicks), so now that he has a chance, of course he takes Dick Grayson and Wally West and makes them Robin and Kid Flash, respectively.

Aqualad and Miss Martian are Geoff Johns creations, and Superboy's still wearing that ridiculous jeans and a T-Shirt look. Artemis is, no doubt a story he wanted to tell in the comic books but could not.

Ugh. They were more of a family as Young Justice than they've ever been as the Titans. The Young Justice team took on every threat in the book and came out of it more experienced, but with the same level of optimism and youthfulness.

The Teen Titans can't even take on the Fearsome Five (or whatever) without losing a member.

They've been pretending to be something they're not. From Conner and Bart to the entire team. These new sidekicks created their OWN legacy, and were blazing their own trail as their own people, but you STILL saw them eventually becoming Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Flash. Then they just decided to throw all of that away to embrace the tattered remains of a group that even the original members couldn't keep together. And for what? Because fans can't let go of the past.

Sometimes that's okay. You get stuff like Geoff Johns' Flash, which so far has been brilliant, and I suspect my biggest complaints concerning the universe (Barry being the Speed Force, Wally West and how they will handle him) will be fixed soon.

ddf
SageShinigami View Post
Sage,

Well said.

Legacy concept is like many a perennial plant in my back yard, nice on the surface, wonderful for while but then becoming more than a vicious weed that is out of control, spreading everywhere, killing off other plants and hard to rid yourself of...that is where DC is now. It has let one idea take over and smother most other valid approaches to individual characters.

JIm

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 31st, 2010   heffison is offline   #57
heffison
Lapsed Reader

ddf
SageShinigami View Post

Even so, at least the early Young Justice dealt with these kids being seen as a reckless threat rather than a team of established heroes. Old Justice wasn't the only voice of concern about teen metas.

But the YJ kids did become a family, with a strong core of characters that worked in Teen Titans as well, even under a different approach.

I don't see the need to recreate every single aspect of the original Young Justice books, but it does seem reasonable to me that some of us want to see the primary characters from that book get back together, and to have a book in the DCU with some of the spirit and humor of the original. (At the moment, the only main DCU book I can think of with anywhere near as much fun to it is Secret Six, and that certainly isn't a book I'd call "similar" to YJ in approach.)

It looks like Teen Titans under the new creative team is as close as we're likely to get for some time. Krul has said that he had gotten some dark storytelling out of the way with Arsenal and TT would be a bit lighter (and he's probably going to have Damian tossing off sit-com kid lines for laughs. >sigh<) so this will have to do. And it probably will do very nicely, because even if it isn't what a YJ fan would most want, I think Krul and Scott will produce a terrific book.

Old July 31st, 2010   JRM is offline   #58
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Even so, at least the early Young Justice dealt with these kids being seen as a reckless threat rather than a team of established heroes. Old Justice wasn't the only voice of concern about teen metas.

But the YJ kids did become a family, with a strong core of characters that worked in Teen Titans as well, even under a different approach.

I don't see the need to recreate every single aspect of the original Young Justice books, but it does seem reasonable to me that some of us want to see the primary characters from that book get back together, and to have a book in the DCU with some of the spirit and humor of the original. (At the moment, the only main DCU book I can think of with anywhere near as much fun to it is Secret Six, and that certainly isn't a book I'd call "similar" to YJ in approach.)

It looks like Teen Titans under the new creative team is as close as we're likely to get for some time. Krul has said that he had gotten some dark storytelling out of the way with Arsenal and TT would be a bit lighter (and he's probably going to have Damian tossing off sit-com kid lines for laughs. >sigh<) so this will have to do. And it probably will do very nicely, because even if it isn't what a YJ fan would most want, I think Krul and Scott will produce a terrific book.
ddf
heffison View Post
You likely have a very valid point. I actually hope that JT is both encouraged, allowed and achieves a distinct voice - that it is not just trying to ape any previous take whether it be PAD's YJ, Geoff's TT, W/P NTT or anything else. Let it be his own - then if we are lucky we will get something that will be remembered as foundly as those I mentioned. When all you try to do is either change everything, but keep a set tone, you gain nothing. I think perhaps we need to as a fanbase, just step back and let him take his run. Most importantly is, I'd really rather that DC keep this book on the edge of all the big events for a long while - just let it develop.

To ape PAD wouldn't work - for right or wrong - too much water under the bridge. Of this keep the concept of deep friendship and the general sence of humour that the TT has mostly been lacking.

To ape W/P wouldn't work - wrong characters who have totally different set of motivations. Here keep the idea of compentent heroes in their own right. Let the leagacy angst idea rest for -- for well for ever. Also keep the formula of a mixture of old and new.

To ape Geoff - well too many have spoken about what doesn't work well - but the extreme focus on legacy, death and angst - please no - no - NO. it is mostly what has killed this book.

I think Sean was moving somewhat in the direction that I personally would have hoped for (still too, much too much death, IMHO) but it did have a sense of humour and a sense of family by the time he left.

I think based on what I've read by JT, that he has the qualities and approach to give a new life, one that is more than just re-hashing the past - not ignoring it. but not handcuffed to it either. Yeah, I do have some hope for this; though I have a great deal of misgiving about the role of Editorial interference - for in my eyes most of the biggest blunders - dating back to the Wolfman/Grumment NT era has been their tinkering or out-right (miss) direction of the book. And so many of the directions regarding characters in the Titans orbit over the past 5 or 6 years has caused so very much damage to so many of these characters use (or inability to be used) in the future.

Again, both hopeful - but with some reservations - about the future of the Titans.

But in the end - I truly wish JT full success on this endeviour.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 31st, 2010   Neo God is offline   #59
Neo God
Geoffan

ddf
SageShinigami View Post
Sage,

Well said.

Legacy concept is like many a perennial plant in my back yard, nice on the surface, wonderful for while but then becoming more than a vicious weed that is out of control, spreading everywhere, killing off other plants and hard to rid yourself of...that is where DC is now. It has let one idea take over and smother most other valid approaches to individual characters.

JIm
ddf
JRM View Post
Ditto.

Pull List: Action Comics, The Flash, Green Arrow, Superboy, Superman/Batman
Old July 31st, 2010   SageShinigami is offline   #60
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

ddf
heffison View Post
That was more Red Tornado's view than anything else.

As far as the new TT run...they need to ditch The Scrappy and bring back Tim. In the Robin outfit. Preferably the red and green, over the red and black. Conner's not dead; wear your own colors.

Old August 1st, 2010   KonFan78 is offline   #61
KonFan78
Advanced Geoffan

what PAD did on YJ was great, but I'm not looking for anyone to try to recreate that, I'd just like to see the sense of fun that YJ had, as opposed to the doom, gloom and Titan getting killed everyother issue that we've been getting.

Old August 1st, 2010   TTitanFan25 is offline   #62
TTitanFan25
Geoffan

Teen titnas has done what it was supposed to. Now I think (I wish) DC would bring the YJ book back, once they are going to bring the cartoon in.
ddf
.:Sr Martinz:. View Post
Nope. All YJ was was a new name for TT, with a bit more humor too. I think they and DC has grown out of that phase. The cartoon is also much darker than even TT has been, so I'm guessing that time has passed.

Old August 1st, 2010   JRM is offline   #63
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Nope. All YJ was was a new name for TT, with a bit more humor too. I think they and DC has grown out of that phase. The cartoon is also much darker than even TT has been, so I'm guessing that time has passed.
ddf
TTitanFan25 View Post
If this is how it plays out, I wonder the reaction to those whose fondness for YJ is rooted in its general tone. In other words, are fans generally tied to its characters or to how it was written.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 1st, 2010   heffison is offline   #64
heffison
Lapsed Reader

ddf
TTitanFan25 View Post
The comic based on the YJ cartoon is going to be in the kids' line, isn't it? I wonder if the book will be as dark as the cartoon looks to be. But you're right about the main DC line having moved away from lighter-hearted material. "Grown out of" isn't how I would put it, as I don't see it as progress, just as change.

To me, the show looks more like it should be called "Justice League: Strike Force" or something, rather than "Young Justice."