The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 8th, 2006   Chris D. is offline   #1
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

Default Single Issues....Bah Humbug!!!

After 8 years of not reading a single, single issue(wow im clever) and just keeping up with a select few TPB's, in the last fefw months I have been once again buying a ton of comics. And i've noticed something. More times than not I am dissapointed not with the story as a whole, but at the bareness between the covers of single issues. There have been a ton of times where I've read an issue in minutes and have been totally left unsatisfied because of the lack of subsatance in them.

The issue I just read recently that made me really realize this is Part 2 of Robinson's Batman arc. Now I don't want to single him out bc this is just one of MANY, but he is a great writer, Starman being one of my favorites. But In this issue I found myself literally searching for words to read. Maybe it's that I'm used to reading the stories at once now, but still, there really is a problem with the lack of substance in single issues now, maybe bc they love to write for 6 part TPB's(even though they want people to buy the issues). I think it might be time to go back to trades fully, especially considering the prices of the issues.
Don't get me wrong, I am really loving and excited about the DCU as a whole, the overall stories are great, it's just the fact that they really aren't putting a lot into single issues anymore. the only titles that i find consistantly enjoyable almost every single issue:

Manhunter......go buy it now.....
Jonah Hex...actually written as single issue stories...radical concept
Birds of Prey
GL for the most part, although there were some issues that were sparse
The new Supes OYL
Firestorm

probably more but those are off the top of my head, and i'm just feeling a little unsatisfied more often than not....any one else feel this way?

Old April 8th, 2006   Andy S. is offline   #2
Andy S.
Neo Geoffan

As far as the superhero titles go, yeah its mostly multi-parters now. Every once in awhile you may find a self-contained issue, but they are few and far between.

If this is what you're looking for, you should definitley check out Jonah Hex and the indie series Local, by Brian Wood and Ryan Kelly. I just picked up the Local series the other day, and it really provides some well-written tales.

Comic Review Weekly available @ http://comicreview.thepodcastnetwork.com/
Old April 8th, 2006   Oracle_0128 is offline   #3
Oracle_0128
I demand answers....

Though Detective Comics promises a bunch of one issue stand alones when Dini/Morales take it over. It's one of the VERY FEW books I'm actually looking forward to, since most other DC titles are now just a distant memory for me.

Monthly titles! Original Ideas! No re-treads here! Come write for DCU! Completely redesigned! DCU
Old April 8th, 2006   DefenderOfTerra is offline   #4
DefenderOfTerra
Can't I be Titans Flash?

See I'm starting doing what you've been doing for years.

I'm a big X-Men fan but lately I've been dead bored with single issues. So instead of starting yet another new X-men series I've decided to get them in trade namely New Excalibur and X-Factor. I've decided to get Johns run on Superman in Trade and She-Hulk in trade. I do find it more enjoyable but nothing can replace waiting a month after a good cliffhanger making you think what can happen next.

Defender for the origin all incarnations of Terra

Remember remember the fifth of November...

V for Vendetta