The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 2nd, 2005   DeTroyes is offline   #1
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

Default The OYL - To start in April?

I broached this subject on another thread, but it was suggested that I start it seperately so as not to derail that original topic.

I'm starting to think that, with all of these shipping delays on DCU related titles, DC won't be able to squeeze off the start of the OYL on time (March). After all, because the stories are now so interconnected, delaying one title tends to have a ripple effect on others, in turn delaying them because DC does not want to reveal major spoilers. Not to mention delaying subesequent issues of that same title as well.

DC has only three options at this point: 1) They can continue as they are doing now, and run the risk of starting the OYL piecemeal rather than as a cohesive whole in March. 2) They can step up production schedules and try to catch up, going so far as to release some titles twice in one month in order to be in position for a March OYL start. Or, 3) They can delay the start of the OYL until April, and use March as a month where they can get caught up, before plunging ahead with all the changes.

Option #1, I think, they should avoid like the plague. The impact of the OYL will be significantly lessened if it only happens to some titles in that month, but not in others until the next. Option #2 would be the best solution if it could be done, but since many of the problems they are having right now are production related anyway, what chance is there it can be resolved by putting MORE pressure to get things out, instead of less? That leaves Option #3, which is what I strongely suspect is where DC is going to go.

My bet is, we won't be seeing the OYL start until April, instead of March. March will be filled with all the straggling titles that have found themselves delayed because of all the nuttiness going on now, plus all the other titles that DC puts out that do not fit in with the current DCU continuity (mini series, Classifieds, trade reprints, non-DCU titles, etc.) This will give them a chance to give themselves some breathing space, have all the pre-OYL storylines brought in, maybe even get a little ahead in the production game. Then they will be in much better position to plunge ahead and start the OYL across the board the following month.

It's not the greatest solution to the current problem, but its the one I think that offers the best chance to make this plan of theirs a huge success.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Don't care one way or the other?

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old December 2nd, 2005   reasonablefan1 is offline   #2
reasonablefan1
Advanced Geoffan

I'm starting to think that, with all of these shipping delays on DCU related titles, DC won't be able to squeeze off the start of the OYL on time (March).
ddf
DeTroyes

I think people are just overreacting to the shipping delay issue. Remember, in the past we've seen instances where delays occur and then the next month we get 2 issues of the title (as just happened w/ Wonder Woman last month).

DC isn't going to fumble the OYL launch - it is too important to them.

Having said that, if fans are expecting ALL the OYL books to come out in March, I think that is a mistake. I think DC has already said that many of the new titles will be launched in June and July.

Old December 2nd, 2005   The Protector is offline   #3
The Protector
aka Jason Hart

I doubt DC would "shut down" their on-going monthlies just to have OYL in April....

with Flash,JLA and Batgirl gone,it may work out if they speeded up production a little.

That being said,I always thought OYL would start the first week in May co-inciding with 52* #1.

Whatever...

The poster formerly known as TitanicFan!
Old December 2nd, 2005   Hari Seldon is offline   #4
Hari Seldon
The Silent Cartographer

DC has only three options at this point: 1) They can continue as they are doing now, and run the risk of starting the OYL piecemeal rather than as a cohesive whole in March. 2) They can step up production schedules and try to catch up, going so far as to release some titles twice in one month in order to be in position for a March OYL start. Or, 3) They can delay the start of the OYL until April, and use March as a month where they can get caught up, before plunging ahead with all the changes.
ddf
DeTroyes
#3 is not a fiscal option. DC has published books "out of order" with respect to tie-in books throughout their history, without a second thought. They'd rather have fill-in panels and pages, rather than delay publishing finished books to catch up others. This situation is really no different.

So I'd have to believe the reality will be option 1, with a hint of option 2 thrown in for good measure. Here's why:

There is no real requirement for cohesiveness. I remember at the SDCC this year Dan DiDio said that when the titles shift One Year Later, it will be sudden. In some cases at the beginning of a story, mid-story. Next issue, that whole story is dropped and no longer referenced. It's now a year later, and the books will all pick up different places - some, again, in the middle of a new story. Might be a new star of the book - and we might not know exactly who that is for awhile - and there will also be new statuses quo, costumes, powers, etc.

No explanations. Infinite Crisis #s 6 and 7 might answer a few questions, but DiDio said that 52 will explain most of what's happened in the interim. Either way, we won't know what the #%*@! is going on for some time.

So a unified move forward doesn't appear to be a stone-cold requirement. If Batman comes out a bit later in the month than say, Action Comics or Infinite Crisis #6, it probably won't make a bit of difference - to any of the 3 stories involved.

As for option #2, an important point is that a lot of the creative teams have been shuffled beginning with OYL. Which means many of the art teams that are behind schedule now will be non-factors in the new launches. In fact, I would bet that the shuffling and redistribution of artists over the past 3 months is the exact cause of the delays seen across the board with DC titles.

listen: there's a hell of a good universe next door; let's go

E.E. Cummings
Old December 2nd, 2005   TonyReese is offline   #5
TonyReese
I can see you too.

Well. Ya got to figure all the new creative teams for the books staying are already working on the new stuff, at least writing them, by now. There are double releases for some titles to catch up. And as has been peiced together through various interviews with Dan 'Dynomite' Didio, March is just the start of the realigning that will go all out to July. Have to have it all in place for the next big project next summer with Metzer!

Continuity hamstrings story and keeps comics inaccessible to casual readers. Consistency’d be the more important thing. -Keith Giffen
Old December 3rd, 2005   Lex is offline   #6
Lex
Who?

I don't think it's a big deal when they start the One Year Later books. They won't be revealing too many IC spoilers anyway because IC #6 and 7 won't be out yet (and I imagine they are planning all the books to be as spoiler-less as possible). Plus, many of the regular DC books will basically be continuing things as normal unless there is a big change.

And the new series are going to be slowly coming out from March through the summer. It's safe to say we're getting a gradual introduction to the OYL DCU. No worries.

"Superman should be a huge, positive role model, an almost Christ-like force." - Grant Morrison
Old December 3rd, 2005   WARRIOR is offline   #7
WARRIOR
Deactivated

As long as IC #5 comes out before any of the OYL books ship, DC can take as long as they want to get all of the OYL titles released and then release IC #6 whenever the **** they feel like.