The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators

The Comic Shop: Creators but wait, there's more!

Old November 21st, 2008   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #17
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

That (Tomasi not writing a Grayson Batman in at least one title) could be the reason I don't end up continuing with the Bat-line beyond the initial salvo of the new direction. Tomasi has quietly become DC's premiere character-driven story artisan (even greater than Geoff Johns in my opinion). It's uncanny how effortlessly he seems to grasp them and move them forward. He gives them real density without using gimmicks or oft-leveraged comic devices. I'm actually finding it difficult to explain because I'm a horrible linguist.

How about this: if there's going to be a new Batman, and it's Richard Grayson, the narrative of him assuming this role should be a forceful character study that praises the past, all of the characters involved, and makes us want to see more in the future. I think Tomasi could pull that off. Morrison and company would just give us another event, a hollow exercise that leverages iconography and obscure DC lore and ends up feeling like a big event within a big event, which is the last thing DC needs right now because frankly their "big events" haven't really been working for a variety of reasons, and so far I see the entire Batman line slipping towards the same destination. If that makes any sense.

On the flip side: I know nothing of Daniels' writing, so I can't comment on that. Morrison, as good as he may be in every other genre and non-continuity work (one of the greatest of all time), is as basic, average, and "old school comic-booky" as it gets when it comes to mainstream stories. And therefore, I am not expecting anything new, innovative, progressive, or even very entertaining if he gets to grapple with a Richard Grayson Batman. I highly, highly doubt that the character will even resemble abything we've seen in the fantastic Tomasi Nightwing run to date.

And the preceding were all just opinions, so please spare any venom my hurtful words may have caused you.
Last edited by Jeff Shabazz; November 21st, 2008 at 11:17 AM.

Old November 21st, 2008   MattDiCarlo is offline   #18
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

i entirely assume that Tomasi and Nicieza are going to be involved in whatever's next.

Old November 21st, 2008   oddballuk is offline   #19
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

i entirely assume that Tomasi and Nicieza are going to be involved in whatever's next.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
Nicieza has confirmed that he will be.

No word yet, other than Outsiders, whether Tomasi will be.

I really hope he is though.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old November 21st, 2008   Sentinel119 is offline   #20
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

I think that Dick could be better than Bruce. Dick is the better fighter and athlete. Bruce is probably a better detective, but I think that it is time for him to step up and become the defender of Gotham.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old November 28th, 2008   fallen2far is offline   #21
fallen2far
Neo Geoffan

I followed the character of Nightwing. Dick Grayson as Nightwing. I collected the book when it was terrible [to an extent... did miss the last two issues of Bruce Jones's] Now that Nighwtwing is canceled, with no hint on what his future its, I really can't say what I'm going to do. I might pick it up, but it'll have to stand on quality. The story has to be good, better than it has been.

Old November 28th, 2008   Lemurion is offline   #22
Lemurion

My own thought is with the Kandorian getting the Nightwing name Dick is going to have to go by something else. The only option I can see which doesn't demean him is to step up to the Cowl.

I prefer Bruce as Batman, but if Bruce isn't going to be Batman and Dick isn't going to be Nightwing, I think moving Dick up to Batman is the only acceptable option.

Old November 29th, 2008   Icon is offline   #23
Icon
Advanced Geoffan

My own thought is with the Kandorian getting the Nightwing name Dick is going to have to go by something else.
ddf
Lemurion View Post
Not "getting" so much as "has taken", and as we have three Flashes, and at least four Green Lanterns, it's hard to see that being a deal breaker.

Old December 5th, 2008   Mavericwing is offline   #24
Mavericwing
Neo Geoffan

Whether he's Nightwing, Batman, or an entirely new character, I'll be following the story.

Even if a new title comes out: "Dick Grayson: Curator by Night"...

Old December 20th, 2008   Lemurion is offline   #25
Lemurion

Not "getting" so much as "has taken", and as we have three Flashes, and at least four Green Lanterns, it's hard to see that being a deal breaker.
ddf
Icon View Post
Nightwing's a different case than the Flashes - and in both the cases you gave there's a connection between those who share the name. I do see it as a deal breaker.

Old December 20th, 2008   Greg Waite is offline   #26
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

I'll stay on. If Dick becomes Batman, great. If not, I'll still follow the charactr.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old December 20th, 2008   WingFan122 is offline   #27
WingFan122

I'll stay on. If Dick becomes Batman, great. If not, I'll still follow the charactr.
ddf
Greg Waite View Post
My fear is currently this:

Without Tomasi writing him, and with DC editorial running the Bat family at the moment I fear that DC editorial may use Nightwing (as they often do) to prop up another successor, either showing Dick as not willing to take the mantle of Batman or not able to.

Has anyone seen the recent characterization of Nightwing in Batgirl and Batman and the Outsiders recently? Terrible. Dick comes off as paranoid, whiny, immature, reckless and inept.

I have my fingers crossed that DC understands that while Dick has created his own identity and has become his own man, he should still be the first one running to claim the Bat mantle. Given his history, sense of responsibility to Gothan AND to Bruce (you know the man who gave him a purpose, raised him, etc) this seems like a slam dunk.

If DC gives Tim Drake or Jason Todd the mantle of Batman instead of Dick, I will be extremely dissappointed and may just pass on the Bat titles until the status quo is restored.

Old December 21st, 2008   rpi is offline   #28
rpi
Geoffan

No one is ready to be Batman besides Bruce. No one else is smart enough, skilled enough, or driven enough. It really feels off when folks say that Dick or Tim should be Batman. They're superb in their own roles but not as Batman. I don't care how long either of them have been doing what they've been doing or how skilled they are, neither of them are in Batman's league. I mean, it sounds pretty ridiculous saying that Bruce could be Nightwing or Robin just because he doesn't fit either of those roles. Dick and Tim don't fit as Batman. Simple as that.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
And sing about the grief
Old December 21st, 2008   heffison is offline   #29
heffison
Lapsed Reader

No one is ready to be Batman besides Bruce. No one else is smart enough, skilled enough, or driven enough. It really feels off when folks say that Dick or Tim should be Batman. They're superb in their own roles but not as Batman. I don't care how long either of them have been doing what they've been doing or how skilled they are, neither of them are in Batman's league. I mean, it sounds pretty ridiculous saying that Bruce could be Nightwing or Robin just because he doesn't fit either of those roles. Dick and Tim don't fit as Batman. Simple as that.
ddf
rpi View Post
It isn't a matter of saying that Tim or Dick should be Batman instead of Bruce, it's only a discussion of who is the better fill-in until Bruce comes back, because apparently DC says he's going away.

I think he's just hiding from Blackest Night.

Old January 30th, 2009   strathaar is offline   #30
strathaar
Neo Geoffan

If you like Dick Grayson, I'd recommend you buy whatever book he's in. Why? If sales completely suck, Didio could very well go back to let's kill Dick Grayson.

Old January 30th, 2009   Disillusioned_Spirit is offline   #31
Disillusioned_Spirit
Loving Mighty Avengers

If you like Dick Grayson, I'd recommend you buy whatever book he's in. Why? If sales completely suck, Didio could very well go back to let's kill Dick Grayson.
ddf
strathaar View Post
Lets do the next best thing and cancell Nightwing instead , but in all seriousness I don't really think that would work.

I need some cake
Old January 30th, 2009   MattDiCarlo is offline   #32
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

ddf
rpi View Post

Mr. Terrific could be batman!

What, he could.