The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 16th, 2006   Red_Hood is offline   #1
Red_Hood
Geoffan

Default Does 52 still have a chance of being on time?

IC #7 was pushed back to May 10th, will 52 #1 still ship the same day?

Old April 16th, 2006   Switcherman is offline   #2
Switcherman
Neo Geoffan

Default Since DC is pushing back titles--

I'm going to push back my buying habits.

Yea, Infinite Crisis has been great, and I'm sure Geoff will not let us down. I've very much enjoyed the build-up, the storyline and hopefully the resolution.

Reading comics these past two years has been a joy.

However, in recent months, I'm reminded why I cut back on comics...delays.

I've said it before, there are delays I can understand and others I can't.

You guys should go to

supermanhomepage.
com.

Go to the "Ask Matt" portion of the website. Someone asked Matt, the current editor of the Superman titles about delays. He couldn't give a good answer, about delays except to say:

"It's definitely a giant juggling act, one I don't think anyone who works in this business has ever managed to totally master. I have filled you with confidence, have I not?"

There are too many other forms of entertainment out there that can compete for my entertainment dollar.

Now, this doesn't mean I'm completely giving up on comics...but after the current JSA arc and Infinite Crisis ends, I'm going to go the trade paperback route.

I'm going to delay my purchases until the stories are released in trade. That way I don't have to worry about delays and hopefully it will be a bit cheaper in the long run.

To be honest, I think this is the only way to let DC AND Marvel know that delays as a regular occurance will not be accepted. I think everyone can understand the occasional delay, but it's getting out of hand.

So, to me, it doesn't matter when 52 comes out. I'll buy it when the series is done whether it be in one year or a year and a half...

I really think with escalating costs of comics, other fans may be thinking the same thing.

Agree or disagree, I welcome comments.

The Switch

Old April 16th, 2006   Super-Boy Prime is offline   #3
Super-Boy Prime

im sorry but what else entartainment can you get for 3 bucks, x box 360? a video game for it? a new plasma tv? a board game?. so what can you buy for 3 bucks? i agree the delays suck and im pissed as hell, but when you bring up the cost for entetainment it doesnt make sense. when you look at the market comics are the least expensive entertainment medium. unless you wanna buy a squirt gun?.

Old April 16th, 2006   TheCompass is offline   #4
TheCompass
Geoffan

This latest delay reminds me of the delays with Green Lantern Rebirth last year, and more recently with Superman/Batman.

Usually I don't care, but if they had maintained the original schedule of Infinite Crisis it would have been completed this week, with possibly the Villains United special still to go. It is disappointing but I can live with it since I buy my stuff online anyway it's not like I am rushing into the shop every week to buy something only to find it isn't in yet.

But as for 52, no I no longer have confidence it will be on time even for the first month.

Old April 16th, 2006   Benjamin Birdie is offline   #5
Benjamin Birdie

Delays are irrelevant. I remember vaguely that there were massive delays for New X-Men when it first started. I concretely remember that it was and still is the best X-Men story ever published. Why would the date they were released ever cross my mind? Bottom line, delays are no, the floppies are the earliest possible opportunity to read these stories. Infinite Crisis has had some delays. Did they come into play in mind this weekend as I reread the series over again? Of course not. And the next issue is coming out pretty much a month after the last one. Big deal.

We don't need to send a message to Marvel and DC that Delays Are Unacceptable. We need to send them a message that garbage, whether or not it's released like clockwork, is unacceptable.

It's like Lost. People whinge and complain about the gaps between episodes but when you sit down and watch the latest one that airs, you don't care how long it's been since the last one. You're not like "Guh? Whuzzat? Who's Locke? It's been...so long." It's a few weeks you have to wait.

I think the problem comes into play when an issue of Infinite Crisis ships too rushed. I'd rather have waited a week or two for more consistent artwork throughout the series. Hopefully the script for 7 has been in the can for a while and that's where Phil's energies have been focused. I'm confident, as the second to last page of #6 was the best work he's ever done.

But yeah, in the long run, delays are irrelevant. Until the day that a trade comes out before the floppy it's collecting, no matter when they arrive, they're the first and only opportunity to read the story. If a clockwork schedule is more important to you than that then, please, by all means, stick to the trades.

The Rack: They Sell Them, You Buy Them.
Please Welcome Comic Book Resources' Newest Reviewer: ME!
Old April 16th, 2006   Wally West888 is offline   #6
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

IC #7 was pushed back to May 10th, will 52 #1 still ship the same day?
ddf
Red_Hood
when did this happen?

Well atleast I can figure out what happens by the end of this month with the Infinite Crisis set in VS.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old April 16th, 2006   Switcherman is offline   #7
Switcherman
Neo Geoffan

Default You've got a point there...

im sorry but what else entartainment can you get for 3 bucks, x box 360? a video game for it? a new plasma tv? a board game?. so what can you buy for 3 bucks? i agree the delays suck and im pissed as hell, but when you bring up the cost for entetainment it doesnt make sense. when you look at the market comics are the least expensive entertainment medium. unless you wanna buy a squirt gun?.
ddf
Super-Boy Prime
Hey Prime---

You got me on that one...but, still---there are other places for my dollar to go to if the comics don't come out as advertised!

The Switch

Old April 16th, 2006   Switcherman is offline   #8
Switcherman
Neo Geoffan

Default Schedules--

If a clockwork schedule is more important to you than that then, please, by all means, stick to the trades.
ddf
Benjamin Birdie
Hi Ben---

A "clockwork schedule" isn't that important to me. Let me say again, I have no problem with the occasional delay. When they get to be chronic as many DC books are then, yes I do have a problem.

As I said to someone else, maybe I'm done with comics as a serialized form. If I wait for the trade paperback, then I can read it in one sitting, like a novel.

Moreover, quality is very important to me...no doubt...but with proper planning, you can still have quality and publish on time!

Thanks for the reply Ben--

Regards,

The Switch

Old April 16th, 2006   Danny B is offline   #9
Danny B
Franchise Player

Delayed. Again. That's friggin' great.

Old April 16th, 2006   holo2 is offline   #10
holo2
Advanced Geoffan

Pessimism will get us nowhere....no more how founded it may be for some.

"You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"
Old April 16th, 2006   Danny B is offline   #11
Danny B
Franchise Player

^I know, Holo. It's just frustrating.

Old April 16th, 2006   Raydawggie is offline   #12
Raydawggie
Neo Geoffan

I think everything is being focused on 52, to make absolutely sure it ships on time without fail. That's what's behind all the other delays.

Supergirl > everything

Listen to the Rabbitt Stew, featuring Raydawggie's Comics Countdown!

http://rabbittstew.libsyn.com/
Old April 16th, 2006   TheCompass is offline   #13
TheCompass
Geoffan

I think everything is being focused on 52, to make absolutely sure it ships on time without fail. That's what's behind all the other delays.
ddf
Raydawggie

That's what we were told about Infinite Crisis.

I don't really care as long as the story and art are good, it just gets to feel like a tease when you feel like you have only a couple of weeks to wait and then they delay it again.

Makes for bad dating behavior and bad business overall to keep up the teasing though>

Old April 16th, 2006   Robinthe3rd is offline   #14
Robinthe3rd
persona non grata

ddf
Super-Boy Prime

Poor example . An xbox 360 game costs 60$ but that gives me normaly at least 20 hours (sometimes withonline play much more)
A comic is 3$ but gives me mabye 5-10minutes at the most . So we are talking 18$ an hour for entertainment . Or 360$ for 20 hours of entertainment

Old April 16th, 2006   Robinthe3rd is offline   #15
Robinthe3rd
persona non grata

It's like Lost. People whinge and complain about the gaps between episodes but when you sit down and watch the latest one that airs, you don't care how long it's been since the last one. You're not like "Guh? Whuzzat? Who's Locke? It's been...so long." It's a few weeks you have to wait.
ddf
actually this is why I stoped watching it , the gaps in the showings turned me off , Now i rather just wait for the dvd box set and rent it .

Old April 16th, 2006   Ben Morse is offline   #16
Ben Morse
Marvel Associate Editor

They're way ahead on 52. They're already past issue ten. This wasn't the case for IC. No need to worry...yet