The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Crit Forum

Crit Forum Share your creative output with the community, and give feedback

Old September 13th, 2005   CapeandCowl is offline   #1
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

Default Aquaman and J'onn J'onz

Ok here are two redesigns based on sketches I have posted here before:

The first is J'onn, which I drew as a Shaolin Monk. Basically, he seemed like such a deep spirtual character, and at the same time such a loney and isolated one that it seems natural to me that he could live as a buddhist monk...particularly those monks that also kick ***. (plus his standard costume is just awful)

So his look here is based off of a monk's fighting robes. I keep the red/Blue colour scheme, however.

The other is Aquaman. Like with J'onn I based the design on what I thought the character would be. I drew a similar design for an Aquaman art contest here a while back.

basically, I've always felt that Aquaman should not look like a regular guy. He lives in the bottom of the ocean. So I assumed a couple of things 1)His body would have to be extremely powerful and dense to withstand the pressure, so he should appear big. 2)there is little light on the ocean floor, so he would have pale skin and I thought he might have eyes like fish at the bottom of the ocean...so his eyes give off light. (A full blooded Atlantian would have almost see thru skin and spooky huge eyes. But Aquaman is half human....)
3)like dolphins or whales, Aquaman woud have no hair.

This is just a stylistic thing I like, but starting with Tempest's facial tattoo I thought perhaps Atlanatians, use tattoo so signify rank and status. So I added facial tattoos.

The sketch I did for the art contest had a vastly different costume and a hook for a hand. I changed that suit here, and bascially used different elements I really liked in a couple of different Aquaman suits.

I know the purests here will hate both of these, but they were really fun to design.

Old September 13th, 2005   Kid Lime is offline   #2
Kid Lime
Geoffan

As Much as i love them, i wish you had kept the first Aquaman design, the second one is to similer for my likeing.

the J'onn one is also very good but seeing he is based on a monk type hero maby it would be best to keep the whole costume the same costume(im proberly wrong though)

Old September 13th, 2005   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #3
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

LOVE J'Onn...But Not crazy about the bald tattoo pointy ear Aquaman head. However..I love the design of Aquaman's attire.

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old September 13th, 2005   CapeandCowl is offline   #4
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

As Much as i love them, i wish you had kept the first Aquaman design, the second one is to similer for my likeing.

the J'onn one is also very good but seeing he is based on a monk type hero maby it would be best to keep the whole costume the same costume(im proberly wrong though)
ddf
Kid Lime

you mean keep it the same colour?

Old September 13th, 2005   Kid Lime is offline   #5
Kid Lime
Geoffan

haha yes i did lol, sorry about that

Old September 13th, 2005   Thunderflash11 is offline   #6
Thunderflash11
Supreme Geoffan

Love the aquaman!

Old September 13th, 2005   CapeandCowl is offline   #7
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

ddf
Kid Lime
ok, well here is the one based (although slightly altered) on my sketch above:

Old September 13th, 2005   taxi is offline   #8
taxi
Neo Geoffan

I agree that J'onn's costume should all be the same color. I'd also probably get rid of the maroon half shirt type thing and just go with the look in the sketch (which appears to just be a sash of sorts).

As for Aquaman, I like the sketch alot. It's probably the best redesign I've seen thus far.

Old September 13th, 2005   CapeandCowl is offline   #9
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

I agree that J'onn's costume should all be the same color. I'd also probably get rid of the maroon half shirt type thing and just go with the look in the sketch (which appears to just be a sash of sorts).

As for Aquaman, I like the sketch alot. It's probably the best redesign I've seen thus far.
ddf
taxi
Thanks. :-)

Anyway, here is Jonn in a single colour suit. The monks actually wear those half shirts...its just harder to see in my sketch I guess.

Old September 13th, 2005   CapeandCowl is offline   #10
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

Love the aquaman!
ddf
Thunderflash11
thanks!

Old September 13th, 2005   avathar476 is offline   #11
avathar476
Vagabond

Loved both redesigns, C&C. For J'onn, i agree. Make the whole outift single colored. I dig your Aquaman.

" For every season there's a reason."
Old September 15th, 2005   Kid Lime is offline   #12
Kid Lime
Geoffan

Wow, i really didnt think you would change them because of what i said, but i think it really works, really god job