The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 10th, 2013   clarkent1982 is offline   #1
clarkent1982*
Citizen

Default Dc Comics For September

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #5
Written by Nathan Edmondson and Kyle Killen, art by Yildiray Cinar and Pia Guerra, cover by Yildiray Cinar.

AMERICAN VAMPIRE ANTHOLOGY #1
Written by Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, Gabriel Ba, Fabio Moon and others, art by Becky Cloonan, Rafael Albuquerque, Jeff Lemire, Gabriel Ba, Fabio Moon, Francesco Francavilla, Declan Shalvey and others, cover by Rafael Albuquerque.

100 BULLETS: BROTHER LONO #4
Written by Brian Azzarello, art by Eduardo Risso, cover by Dave Johnson.

ASTRO CITY #4
Written by Kurt Busiek, art by Brent Anderson, cover by Alex Ross.

COLLIDER #3
Written by Simon Oliver, art by Robbi Rodriguez, cover by Nathan Fox.

TRILLIUM #2
Written, art and cover by Jeff Lemire.

THE UNWRITTEN #53
Written by Mike Carey, art by Peter Gross and Mark Buckingham, cover by Yuko Shimizu.

THE WAKE #4
Written by Scott Snyder, art and cover by Sean Murphy, variant cover by Andrew Robinson.

Those are my picks. I guess from now on, September is going to be the "gimmick" month from DC

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old June 10th, 2013   Eric Q is offline   #2
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Imo, Sholly is a solid underrated talent that's worth a look.

ACTION COMICS #23.4: METALLO
Written by SHOLLY FISCH
Art by WILL CONRAD
3-D motion cover by AARON KUDER
On sale SEPTEMBER 25 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US RATED T
Before he became Metal-Zero, John Corben had two great loves: his country and Lois Lane. Awakening from a coma after the events of ACTION COMICS #8, Corben finds himself betrayed by both—and now his Kryptonite heart beats only for revenge! And when he joins up with the Secret Society, there’s no limit to the destruction he can cause!

SUPERMAN #23.1: BIZARRO
Written by SHOLLY FISCH
Art by JEFF JOHNSON and ANDY SMITH
3-D motion cover by AARON KUDER
On sale SEPTEMBER 4 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Lex Luthors’ sinister plan to manipulate Superman’s genetic material to create a mindless soldier under his control results in the monster known as Bizarro: opposite of Superman in every way, with no compassion, no remorse and no mercy!

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old June 11th, 2013   Simon DelMonte is offline   #3
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Worth mentioning that the Unwritten/Fables crossover is not a crossover in terms of making me buy an extra comic. Cannot say how happy that makes me.

Simon DelMonte
Old June 12th, 2013   Call Me El is offline   #4
Call Me El
Geoffan

I'm either going to have a very heavy month or skip the whole thing. I haven't decided yet.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old June 21st, 2013   starks is offline   #5
starks
Geoffan

I'm with you on that. It might be cheaper to get the omnibus.

Old June 24th, 2013   superfriend is offline   #6
superfriend
laughs at comics

latest Tilting at Windmills by retailer extraordinaire, Brian Hibbs talking about "Villains Month"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=46209

So the month becomes entirely a risk with no stability behind it. It would be fine if 3-5 books each week were part of this event, but by making it the entire line this is dangerously "all or nothing" in a way that I fundamentally don't think is healthy for the operation of the marketplace. Further, I think that the specter of a fixed print run means that a very few actors could utterly unbalance the ability to order for other stores. If DC is really "losing money on each copy sold," then print runs are unlikely to be significantly expanded past the current sales level of the equivalencies that DC made. And if that's the case, it would just take a small handful of large accounts ordering, let's say, 500% of their usual order to trigger allocations for everyone. Then, stores that ordered "the right amount" will suddenly come up short, sending their customers to the bad actors instead.

So, suddenly, we're having to order defensively, as well?

This is not what we're supposed to be doing. This is not the way we're supposed to be conducting business. This is not the way we're supposed to appeal to new readers or expand the market or help the market grow.

And if we're not achieving those goals, what good are we doing?
ddf
Brian Hibbs
Last edited by superfriend; June 24th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old June 24th, 2013   Alan is offline   #7
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I have no idea what will happen to sales. As some have said above I might even skip the lot, 3D covers and all and wait for the omnibus. 52 x $3.99 is around the $200 mark, or £150. The book from Amazon will be much cheaper.

I can't see retailers doing much else than ordering the normal amounts, but will buyers of Batman pay out for 4 issues that month?

I agree it's confusing and anything could happen. They could either sell everything or be left with huge piles of very thick comics.