The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old April 25th, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #1
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Default Flashpoint To Be A DC Direct To DVD Animated Movie

...according to Kevin Conroy at this week's Comic Book Club

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old April 25th, 2012   Mackaybear is offline   #2
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

SIGH...

Of all of the stories they could have adopted why this one?

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old April 26th, 2012   silverageflash is offline   #3
silverageflash
Geoffan

I would have suggested "The return of Barry Allen" mixed with other parts of Mark Waid's run on the book, as a better movie suggestion.But,overall Flashpoint was low on my list of movie ideas for the DVD Movies.

Old April 26th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #4
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

SIGH...

ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Why, indeed. It seems like something that would take a great deal of modification to form into a coherent animated movie, especially at the length they usually run. Including the reboot as part of it seems like something that wouldn't really mean much to a viewer that doesn't follow the comics, or even one who only does so casually.

Maybe, with enough adapting it can be turned into something decent...?

I know I'm sick to death of "alternate futures where everything's gone wrong" stories... But maybe folks who don't regularly follow comics won't be as tired of that as I am.

It better not end with Batman crying...

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 26th, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #5
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Why, indeed. It seems like something that would take a great deal of modification to form into a coherent animated movie, especially at the length they usually run. Including the reboot as part of it seems like something that wouldn't really mean much to a viewer that doesn't follow the comics, or even one who only does so casually.

Maybe, with enough adapting it can be turned into something decent...?

I know I'm sick to death of "alternate futures where everything's gone wrong" stories... But maybe folks who don't regularly follow comics won't be as tired of that as I am.

It better not end with Batman crying...
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I don't think it'll take that much to make it coherent and they've had experience with fitting long stories into 75 minutes. Also, it was not just a reboot but reverting to something that somewhat resembled the original timeline.

To be technical, it was an alternate present.

Better Batman than Superman.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old April 27th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #6
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I don't think it'll take that much to make it coherent and they've had experience with fitting long stories into 75 minutes. Also, it was not just a reboot but reverting to something that somewhat resembled the original timeline.

To be technical, it was an alternate present.

Better Batman than Superman.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
I didn't mean to imply that FP wasn't coherent, it's just that with a big event like that, with all of the ancillary minis and the pre-FP lead-up, there's a LOT of fat to trim from the story to get down to its basic premise... which, without getting into the reboot, essentially boils down to "Barry screws up the future to get his mom back..." I guess you could make it a story about hubris or selfishness or something... I don't know.

With the Death of Superman animated film I thought they did a good job of pairing down a big event with lots of crossover and aftermath material into a tighter, more focused story. I'm not saying they won't do a good job here, it's just that if you strip away everything "extra", what are you left with? As best I can tell, it becomes a story about a dystopian DCU future. That could work out well.
But as far as the ending, if the reboot of the DCU is included, that won't mean much unless viewers are already familiar enough with the "status quo" to understand what's been altered, and that would take some establishing early on of what the status quo is, and I just don't see there being time enough to do so in a way that would make the kinds of post-FP changes that occurred (shortened timelines, cosmetic overhauls, a missing generation of characters) seem meaningful to the average viewer.

I have a feeling that, as with the DOS, I'll probably end up liking the movie more than the comic itself.

And why "better Batman than Superman"? Superman cries all the time, like the Native American from the Mutual of Omaha commercials... every time he sees his Nu-costume.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 27th, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #7
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

But as far as the ending, if the reboot of the DCU is included, that won't mean much unless viewers are already familiar enough with the "status quo" to understand what's been altered, and that would take some establishing early on of what the status quo is, and I just don't see there being time enough to do so in a way that would make the kinds of post-FP changes that occurred (shortened timelines, cosmetic overhauls, a missing generation of characters) seem meaningful to the average viewer.

I have a feeling that, as with the DOS, I'll probably end up liking the movie more than the comic itself.

And why "better Batman than Superman"? Superman cries all the time, like the Native American from the Mutual of Omaha commercials... every time he sees his Nu-costume.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
It's not that hard to show what the status quo originally was and what it has become in a short amount of time, just show before and after snapshots. To make it meaningful, you could do it from the pov of Barry to show him what has been lost personally.

Better Batman crying because it's not overdone and I thought it worked given the story. With Superman crying it's been overdone and it hasn't been used well most of the time. Or he always cried because his panties were always in a bunch.
Last edited by Eric Q; April 27th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old April 27th, 2012   clarkent1982 is offline   #8
clarkent1982*
Citizen

SIGH...

ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Ahhh....you do remember what Johns' role is in DC now since he is a suit....

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old April 28th, 2012   Jorge Galvan is offline   #9
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

Flashpointless...

Old April 28th, 2012   John Casey is offline   #10
John Casey
Geoffan

As a huge fan of The Flash, there could have been better choices for this character's first starring role in a DCUA film.

I envisioned maybe an origin with the Flash of Two worlds subplot mixed into it.....

Old April 28th, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #11
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

sure there's other options that we would have like to seen but out of them, this is probably what DCE wanted to do and could make money off of. it's an event that features flash and a kevin conroy batman so it'll appeal to quite a few people.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Old January 30th, 2013   Elias is offline   #12
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS Director Talks FLASHPOINT & YOUNG JUSTICE Cancellation

Dark Knight Returns Director Jay Oliva Talks Hidden Easter Eggs, DC Animation's Next Film FlashPoint And The Recently Cancelled Catoon Network favorite, Young Justice.

Old January 30th, 2013   stumpjs is offline   #13
stumpjs
Profound Rambler

I actually think this could be a cool animated movie.
I love alternate Earth stories and I think Flashpoint was entertaining.

"Laissez le bon temps rouler!" ~Gambit
Old January 30th, 2013   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #14
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Sure there are a lot better Flash stories out there...but I get why they are doing Flashpoint. It really does make the most sense if you are looking to get a large audience. Besides, Flashpoint is a fun story.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old January 31st, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #15
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

What a bonehead move. Dark Knight Returns is proving you can have a hit and let it be multi part......let's see a 3 disc Co IE.

THEN do the return of Barry Allen.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old January 31st, 2013   Matt Olsen is offline   #16
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

I liked Flashpoint a lot more than I expected to. I can see this working.

It's more bankable than other Flash stories because it features Batman and Superman. It's that simple.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."