The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 25th, 2013   BrianT is offline   #1
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Default Shazam! Volume 1 Review and Discussion

Geoff Johns and Gary Frank re-introduce SHAZAM!, the hero formerly known as Captain Marvel, in SHAZAM! Volume 1 in stores today.

My review:
http://www.examiner.com/review/shaza...striking-debut

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old September 27th, 2013   Lucifer complex is offline   #2
Lucifer complex
expressway to Hell

this was about the best thing to come out of this whole 52 reboot. Geoff finally made him a respected character again and can't wait for a new series. I thought Gary did a fantastic job with this series. To bad he can't do an ongoing series with Geoff. It made me proud to be a life long fan.

Old September 29th, 2013   BrianT is offline   #3
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I can't claim to be a life long fan, but I thought this was a well realized re-invention of the character.

I also just read the Black Adam Villains Month issue and it continues the terrific development of the mythos.

I hope there will be an ongoing. And I can honestly say I never thought that before for Captain Marvel/Shazam!.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old December 11th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #4
Amentep

Having dropped Justice League, I never caught up with the back-up strips.

I had mixed feeling about what I had read.

I've now read the trade paperback. And while it doesn't erase the memories of classic Captain Marvel, the charm of C.C. Becks art or the great Golden Age stories of Otto Binder...

...I liked it. As a modern "start now" take on the basic concepts, Johns manages to pull together elements that resonate with the past without replicating it (and - as much as I love the GA Cap stuff - you really can't go home again).

We get Black Adam, a Sivania who is connected to the powers of Shazam now, we get a Marvel...er...Shazam family. Billy grows as a person - he's still not perfect but he's not static either. And lots of plot elements are left to dangle in the background for development should a series come along.

I'd be remiss in not pointing out Gary Frank's strong art; he gives his characters a sense of life and personality that helps a story crowded with people and greatly compliments the story.

I wouldn't call it perfect, but overall I did like it.

Old December 11th, 2013   Alan is offline   #5
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

A lot of people reacted badly against it on the basis of how Billy starts off in the first issue, without appreciating that characters start at a point in a story and go through changes along the way. Billy does indeed grow as a person but there is a lot of room left for more.

I liked it a lot, it took the old character and gave it a good shake whilst still staying true to the heart of it.

Still wish they'd gone with the old name though, but I understand why they didn't.

Old December 11th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

Its a lot easier to take Billy "Bratson" when you can read the story as a whole than it was seeing it dolloped up 3-4 pages at a time, IMO.

But they leave a lot of things out there - including character growth - as things to pick up in a series.

Old December 12th, 2013   bgztl is offline   #7
bgztl
Supreme Geoffan

I really enjoyed the new take on the Marvel Family and Tawky Tawny.

I'd sign up for a sequel.

It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Mouse Guard
Old December 12th, 2013   clarkent1982 is offline   #8
clarkent1982*
Citizen

Read my friend's trade and I absouled hated the "new 52" take on the characters.

They all felt flat or forced on to be jerks to be "more arounded characters."

And truth be told, I stopped reading the trade not even at the half way point.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old December 12th, 2013   Whealer is offline   #9
Whealer
Multiverse refugee

The story was readable. However, this is Shazam, not Captain Marvel. I could not agree more.

Don't tase me, bro.