The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old October 29th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #1
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Default Pretty Deadly #1

Anyone reading this? I should be getting my copy in a day or 2. Wanted to see if anyone else picked it up.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old October 29th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #2
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Anyone reading this? I should be getting my copy in a day or 2. Wanted to see if anyone else picked it up.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
I liked it. The first issue is a little disorienting, but I think that is intentional. I don't think it's supposed to be quite clear yet what is going on. I have no problem being patient since it's kind of a weird western title, and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this series ends up alongside FATALE and SAGA in terms of critical acclaim.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old October 29th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #3
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

i have a copy at the comic shop wating for me to get to it....soon i hope...

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old October 29th, 2013   RoseWilson is offline   #4
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Read it today. Liked it though not really sure who everyone is what's going on etc. yet. Take a few more issues to really know if I like it or really like it.

Old October 31st, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #5
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Read it today. Liked it though not really sure who everyone is what's going on etc. yet. Take a few more issues to really know if I like it or really like it.
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
Agreed

It gave you some character introduction but will take a few issues before we know who's who. It was different for me as far as what I normally read but I'm interested to see where it goes.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old November 5th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

There's a lot of interesting hooks, but how it all hangs together isn't quite as clear.

But I'll stick around a few issues and see how things clear up (or don't if it goes that route). There was a fun "mythic" quality to the story that I liked a lot.

Old November 6th, 2013   Alan is offline   #7
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Hmm. I'm not really sure after that first issue if its brilliant or rubbish.

If its brilliant though its going over my head. It is indeed trying to do a lot in one issue, and I don't think it works. It may work better as a trade read straight through but I found the whole thing very difficult to make any sense out of. And not really wanting to make the effort.

I think I will pass on #2.

Old December 12th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #8
Amentep

Well I've read #2 and while it illuminates somethings...well I'm not 100% sure I still know what's going on. I like Rios art and parts of Deconnick's writing really shine here.

I'm a bit worried that its being a bit to narratively complex for its own good. I'll see how I feel after #3...

Old December 12th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #9
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Well I've read #2 and while it illuminates somethings...well I'm not 100% sure I still know what's going on. I like Rios art and parts of Deconnick's writing really shine here.

I'm a bit worried that its being a bit to narratively complex for its own good. I'll see how I feel after #3...
ddf
Amentep View Post
I'm enjoying it a lot, but I am hoping things continue to become more clear with the next issue. I enjoy the challenging aspects of the narrative, but some steady payoff needs to take place to keep the story from becoming frustrating instead of interesting.
I love the art. There's a little bit of a manga-thing going on, but not in the typical sense.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old December 12th, 2013   clarkent1982 is offline   #10
clarkent1982*
Citizen

ddf
Amentep View Post
Yeah, I dropped the series at issue two. Mix feelings, but if the second issue doesn't really grab me, cut off time.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old December 12th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

Yeah its primarily the art and some glimmers in the story that's keeping me around.

But between the first and second issue...well I could see a lot of people dropping it.

Old May 13th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #12
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I've read #1-5 and decided I'm done with the title.

It's too ethereal writing for me. I LOVE the art; it's Emma's best work.