The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 9th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #1
mego joe
Geoffan

Default Superman Unchained 4

Almost dropped this, but got this issue. Still a good Superman book. Curious to learn the truth about Wraith.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old November 9th, 2013   Hierarch555 is offline   #2
Hierarch555
Paul O'Neil

I had high hopes for this but this is neither creators' best work. It's better than Lobdell's Superman but not as good as Morrison or Pak's. It doesn't help that Jim Lee's art has lost it's appeal to me (something I didn't think would ever happen).

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old November 9th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #3
mego joe
Geoffan

I had high hopes for this but this is neither creators' best work. It's better than Lobdell's Superman but not as good as Morrison or Pak's. It doesn't help that Jim Lee's art has lost it's appeal to me (something I didn't think would ever happen).
ddf
Hierarch555 View Post
I find it feels more like Superman than any other Nu 52 Superman book Morrison's Action notwithstanding.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old November 10th, 2013   Hierarch555 is offline   #4
Hierarch555
Paul O'Neil

I find it feels more like Superman than any other Nu 52 Superman book Morrison's Action notwithstanding.
ddf
mego joe View Post
Definitely, it's just kind of boring imo. The characterizations are spot on but the plot doesn't interest me like I thought it would after the first issue.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old November 18th, 2013   starks is offline   #5
starks
Geoffan

I decided to drop it after this issue. I was bored with it, don't care about Ascension. Just feel that the introduction of a superman before Superman (Wraith) was the story here and feel they should have went with this storyline than just making it a subplot. They basically pushed it aside with this issue.

When Wraith was introduced, I was wondering if he was going to turn into Doomsday by the end of the story, which I thought would be interesting. Don't know if this is even possible, as I don't read the Superman titles (if he's already in the New 52 or not, that is).

Lastly, I'm not impressed with Jim Lee's art. It's just not as dynamic as it's been with other stories he's been a part of the past few years.

Old November 18th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #6
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Not digging a Superman learning as he goes on who he is and how to do things. I love Lee's art but the new costume is so plain it actually detracts from his art to me. And considering that the original costume was basic to begin with that says a lot. I thought the same thing when Rags was drawing Superman.

With this and the Justice League books it's all repeat stuff to me, even if it is with a new twist. They should just come out with a Year One series for them if DC wants to go that route and continue the other books as they were.

Old November 19th, 2013   clarkent1982 is offline   #7
clarkent1982*
Citizen

Yeah, the art is the last issue looked rushed/lazy. I don't mind the story. I like it, but yeah, the art or I should say, the suit is too much.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old November 19th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #8
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Yeah, the art is the last issue looked rushed/lazy. I don't mind the story. I like it, but yeah, the art or I should say, the suit is too much.
ddf
clarkent1982 View Post
New 52 Superman = Kill Away?

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis