The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   Amentep is offline   #97
Amentep

I've enjoyed(?) HULK so far even though its kind of a different take on things. But it is really well told.

Old 6 Days Ago   Astro@work is offline   #98
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Secret Empire #4 : Liked this issue a bit better than #3, due to less of the art being unfathomably moody and washed out with saturated colors. I get they're going for mood, but when I can't make out the characters it doesn't help. Anyway, less of that here, and I enjoyed it more.

On one hand, it was the typical mid-Marvel-event everyone-talking-and navel-gazing issue, but I did enjoy seeing some classic Avengers gathered together for the first time in forever. The head-scratcher was what Ultron-Hank had to do with anything as the main manipulator of events here. (The Hydra angle seemed to be completely secondary). In spite of the complete dreailment of the main plot, I did enjoy this.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old 4 Days Ago   Matches is offline   #99
Matches
stepping aside

Secret Empire #4 : Liked this issue a bit better than #3, due to less of the art being unfathomably moody and washed out with saturated colors. I get they're going for mood, but when I can't make out the characters it doesn't help. Anyway, less of that here, and I enjoyed it more.

On one hand, it was the typical mid-Marvel-event everyone-talking-and navel-gazing issue, but I did enjoy seeing some classic Avengers gathered together for the first time in forever. The head-scratcher was what Ultron-Hank had to do with anything as the main manipulator of events here. (The Hydra angle seemed to be completely secondary). In spite of the complete dreailment of the main plot, I did enjoy this.
ddf
[email protected] View Post
This issue reminded me of the old GI Joe cartoon where the weather dominator gets split into three pieces, and the Joes and Cobras have to go have a fight in each place. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. The heroes bickering almost makes Ultron look like the good guy until you remember that Captain America is a Nazi.

Vanishing Point is interesting. I assume that was Rick Jones with Not-Steve, but who was the African-American fellow?

Other Marvel titles:

Daredevil #21 starts a new arc and seems to be the payoff for Soule's run to date. Not quite sure what he's up to. It was a good issue but I hope we're not headed for more secret identity shenanigans - seems like the DD title has done that enough in recent years.

I read Defenders #1 not realizing there was a FCBD prologue so that was a little weird. Good issue, though - Bendis is always strong with these characters and Marquez's art is tremendous.

Jessica Jones #9 continues the Maria Hill story - this remains one of my favorite Marvel titles. Bendis giving Jessica her edge back is a welcome development.

Also it's a little old but the first issue of the current Hawkeye series hit Marvel Unlimited this week and I liked that a LOT. It stars Kate Bishop who is working as a PI, lots of humor but not slapstick. Basically it's what the hipster Batgirl comic would be if that comic was good.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.