The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 28th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default DC does Hanna Barbera

http://www.ew.com/2016/01/28/dc-ente...barbera-titles

Future Quest by "Doc" Shaner, Darwyn Cooke and Jeff Parker looks like a must have to me.

Old January 28th, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #2
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

http://www.ew.com/2016/01/28/dc-ente...barbera-titles

Future Quest by "Doc" Shaner, Darwyn Cooke and Jeff Parker looks like a must have to me.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Future Quest definitely looks like a must-have!

Scooby Doo and Flinstones, though... DC have out-WTFed themselves! 0_o

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old January 28th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

Well their Wacky Races is a bit out there too if the implication of Post-Apocalypse/Road Warrior type jazz is true.

Flinstones I'm not sure its possible to say from the image solicited.

Scooby is a head scratcher, though, but there are so many Scooby iterations at this point I'm not sure a new, different one is necessarily bad.

Old January 28th, 2016   Jorge Galvan is offline   #4
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

Scooby Doo and Flinstones, though... DC have out-WTFed themselves! 0_o
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post

Tell me about it, the Flinstones look like $#!+

also Future Quest is very kool looking and as a fan of the SPACE GHOST dc comic from a decade ago, Im surprised that they are actually using all these characters( Galaxy Trio, Herculoids, Birdman, etc,etc)

Old January 28th, 2016   Keith Dallas is offline   #5
Keith Dallas
At a Hockey Game

ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
also Future Quest is very kool looking and as a fan of the SPACE GHOST dc comic from a decade ago, Im surprised that they are actually using all these characters( Galaxy Trio, Herculoids, Birdman, etc,etc)
ddf
Jorge Galvan View Post

Yeah, I'll definitely be checking out Future Quest. Lots of fun characters there!

Old January 29th, 2016   Call Me El is offline   #6
Call Me El
Geoffan

the Flinstones look like $#!+
ddf
Jorge Galvan View Post
I thought that was a parody when I first saw the image. I can't believe they're really going with that.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old January 29th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

I'm sorry what exactly is the problem with the Flintstones?

I mean it literally looks like someone took the basic Flintstones idea and drew a more realistic picture. In fact it looks a lot like the Live Action movies.

I mean I can understand hating Hipster Shaggy, yeah. But I don't get the immediate revulsion displayed for the Flintsones based on a singular piece of art...which looks like a popular movie take on the characters from several years ago.

*confused*

Old January 29th, 2016   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #8
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Future Quest and Wacky Races looks AMAZING.

Scooby Doo is a bit of a head scratcher, but Giffen's writing it, so I'll give it a shot. Flinstones doesn't really appeal since it just seems like the regular Flinstones concept.

I think DC accomplished EXACTLY what they wanted here - people with no interest in Hanna-Barbara stuff are suddenly talking about it.

Old January 29th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

Me and my brother on Giffen on Scooby-Doo:

Think it'll be funny?
He might kill everybody.
It could be funny and he could kill everybody.

Old January 29th, 2016   Jorge Galvan is offline   #10
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

I'm sorry what exactly is the problem with the Flintstones?

I mean it literally looks like someone took the basic Flintstones idea and drew a more realistic picture. In fact it looks a lot like the Live Action movies.

I mean I can understand hating Hipster Shaggy, yeah. But I don't get the immediate revulsion displayed for the Flintsones based on a singular piece of art...which looks like a popular movie take on the characters from several years ago.

*confused*
ddf
Amentep View Post

Amentep; dear brother, as I am sure you and most everyone here grew up with the Flintstones and we all know their iconic image. They way they were drawn and portrayed. Sure the image is reminiscent of the 1994 movie with John Goodman, and I was not a fan of that one either.

The revulsion is that after so many years of DC (Dead Comics) mistreating our classic heroes with update after update that they are almost unrecognizable, STRANGERS ON THE STREET!!! Now that everything is under the WB umbrella, they are gonna tackle the HB properties and have their wicked way with these characters, and never so much as thinking , "Well I wonder if we will piss off anyone?"

When I think of Barney Rubble, I think of that NOSE, that voice and that LAFF of his!! Looking at that cover, I am like, WHO?????

Wilma and Betty look like crack whore housewives and just from the body language of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm, I can tell they are ready to PUT A CAP ON MY ASS, as they have hip hop blasting in the background!!!

So yeah, I do take offense when characters I have enjoyed are taken and put threw the ringer and turned into perverted caricature's of their former selves.

As for Scooby Doo, I was NEVER a fan, so I have no malice to that, but I am sure SD fans will!

If you look at the Future Quest images, they are ALL pretty much CLASSIC 1960's Hanna Barbera! That EXCITES ME and make me WANT to check that book out. If DC wised up and REGAIN the plot they lost, and started publishing characters they way they were, then, I am sure more punters would come back into the fold.

so there ya go mate, my 2cents.

Cheers.

Old January 29th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

I appreciate it.

I've never seen the Flintstones Live-Action films (I have seen The Man Called Flintstone a few times though... :O) so I can't really speak to them, but from a single image (they don't really talk about what the series is like but an updating) the hate seemed disproportionate.

That said I can see being dubious of DC given their track record. I'll also say I think HB's action titles lends themselves to comic recreation better than their comedy series unless you're doing a straight-up adaption of the original series. I can see why they'd want to redesign, not sure if it'll help.

Newsarama had more description on the titles:
http://www.newsarama.com/27735-creat...ure-quest.html

Can't say what's here on Wacky Races (further info some of the titles than the early article) appeals to me; still willing to be won over by a good preview.

So I'm probably only in for Future Quest.
Last edited by Amentep; January 29th, 2016 at 01:38 PM.

Old January 29th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #12
Amentep

Just realized that Flintstone's writer is the Prez-revamp writer, that made me more curious about it.

Old February 1st, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #13
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

The Scooby Doo thing just looks so pandering. Hipster beard; Gamer girl; tattoos; Pouches (really, Jim Lee?); puzzling virtual monocle-thing on Scooby; It very well could be an entertaining read, especially with crotchety old Giffen writing it. He loves slaughtering sacred cows, so I'm sure he jumped at the chance to outrage the people that would be outraged by this. But even if it's well written, the visuals are just unappealing (to me). It's really hard to imagine what Howard Porter doing cartoony art will look like, too. It's always possible he could end up showing some diversity of style that would surprise a lot of people. He's never struck me as an artist that would be good at staying "on model," but who knows?

The Flintstones... that drawing is just disturbing. It makes me uncomfortable. I don't really know why. If you're going to make them look "more real," Fred should at least have a Jackie Gleason body-type. It's going to be a little frightening if this Fred starts threatening to assault Barney or Wilma.
I think they should have let Bill Sienkiewicz go all psycho-delic with it. Why straddle the fence?

Futurequest looks like something I've wanted to read since I was 5, though. I hadn't even noticed this until someone else pointed it out, but they did redesign Frankenstein Jr. "IT'S RUINED!!!"
For some reason I can't quite explain, I'm hoping I'll find someone somewhere who is genuinely upset about that.
Also, "WHERE'S SHAZAN??? DINO BOY AND UG AREN'T "HIP" ENOUGH??? NO BIRDBOY???"

Last edited by Mr. Wrong; February 1st, 2016 at 08:37 AM.

Old February 1st, 2016   Amentep is offline   #14
Amentep

Also, "WHERE'S SHAZAN??? DINO BOY AND UG AREN'T "HIP" ENOUGH??? NO BIRDBOY???"
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Given the Sci-Fi orientation of Future Quest, I'd think something like Sealab 2020 or "Teen Force"* would get in before Shazzan.

That said some the more fantastical properties (Shazan, Young Samson, Arabian Knights, Galtar and the Golden Lance, Pirates of Dark Water) might make for a better "Fantasy Worlds" thematic book than with the FQ gang. Since Ruby-Spear's pre-1991 library is also at Warners, you could probably fit in Ruby-Spears' Thundarr here, but the lack of Goldie Gold and Action Jack in Future Quest may mean that DC can't do anything with Ruby-Spear's library.**

*Excepting of course that the titles seem focused on dealing with 60s concepts, not 70s ones like Sealab nor 80s ones like Teen Force.

**Could also mean no one thought of or was clamoring for the obscure 80s team of GG and AJ too.

EDIT: As a wholly different thought, I wonder if any of HB's other mystery solvers (Funky Phantom, Amazing Chan, Speed Buggy, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, Clue Club) might show up/get name checked in the Scooby Doo one?

Old February 1st, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #15
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Since Ruby-Spear's pre-1991 library is also at Warners, you could probably fit in Ruby-Spears' Thundarr here,(...)
ddf
Amentep View Post
The absence of a Thundarr comic has bothered me for years, especially when (early 2000's??) nearly every other freaking 80s action cartoon was getting resurrected as comics. THUNDARR WOULD SELL!!! (At least for a year or two, assuming they didn't do something too glaringly awful with it.)

Old February 2nd, 2016   Penny Dreadful is offline   #16
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

The revulsion is that after so many years of DC (Dead Comics) mistreating our classic heroes with update after update that they are almost unrecognizable, STRANGERS ON THE STREET!!!

So yeah, I do take offense when characters I have enjoyed are taken and put threw the ringer and turned into perverted caricature's of their former selves.
ddf
Jorge Galvan View Post
Yeah, that sums up the wariness of a lot of people. I'd have more faith if they were in the hands of, say, Boom! or IDW.

Are these miniseries or ongoings?

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.