The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old July 1st, 2015   Hierarch555 is offline   #33
Hierarch555
Master Geoffan

Question that I'm sure no one has an answer to or likely that anyone but me cares about but any word on White Tiger appearing anywhere in the new Marvel?
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
Hopefully, she'll at least be in A-Force but I would love for her and Power Man to be in something post Secret Wars.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old July 2nd, 2015   Amentep is offline   #34
Amentep

I haven't seen her mentioned in any of the informational leaks for All-New Marvel. A-Force might be a place for her, but I think that might have a rotating roster (hard to say at this point).

Old July 2nd, 2015   RoseWilson is offline   #35
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

My favorite characters who tend to be slightly obscure always seem to get shafted in these reboots. I've been watching a lot of Ultimate Spiderman the cartoon lately and it bums me out a bit if she's going to be in limbo. Especially since marvel does seem to be trying to push diversity it seems a shame to waste a female Hispanic character who has some degree of exposure in the TV Medium.

Old July 2nd, 2015   Amentep is offline   #36
Amentep

Yeah, I think it'd be strange to not use her given the other-media exposure (in the cartoon and Disney Infinity as a guest character) should give her a slightly higher than usual profile.

But you never know. She was kinda underused in Mighty Avengers.

Old July 6th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #37
Amentep

Read GHOST RACERS over the weekend. I dunno, they didn't give me a reason to care about the new guy (or much to care about the old ones other than they're kind the old ones (except original Western Ghost Rider) and I don't like the "driving a car" angle (over riding a bike/horse).

Won't return.

Old July 10th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #38
Amentep

Well I'll give it a shot having loved Parker's ATLAS series

http://www.newsarama.com/25117-sdcc-...-of-atlas.html

Old July 16th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #39
superfriend
laughs at comics

so is Battleworld supposed to be a multiverse? as i'm reading these tie-ins, i'm feeling slightly confused about whether these regions/provinces/states interact or if there are impassable barriers.

there seems to be multiple versions of the Marvel characters throughout these areas. maybe like the Thors but less formal?

idk, i thought i'd seen it all when it comes to the superhero universes....

observe everything, admire nothing
Old July 16th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #40
Amentep

AIUI:

A Battleworld story crosses multiple regions and a Warzone stays contained to one region.

There is no real "barrier" between worlds (other than the wall keeping out Annhilus, Marvel Zombies and Ultron) but travel between realms is restricted by Doom. It is possible for people to legally or illegally travel to other domains, and so multiple versions of the same character may end up in the same domain.

Old July 16th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #41
superfriend
laughs at comics

AIUI:

A Battleworld story crosses multiple regions and a Warzone stays contained to one region.

There is no real "barrier" between worlds (other than the wall keeping out Annhilus, Marvel Zombies and Ultron) but travel between realms is restricted by Doom. It is possible for people to legally or illegally travel to other domains, and so multiple versions of the same character may end up in the same domain.
ddf
Amentep View Post
thank you, sir!

Old July 16th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #42
superfriend
laughs at comics

How is Old Man Logan? I like the look of the covers, but I've got no real "in" to the title.
ddf
Amentep View Post
i wish i could give you an "in" besides Millar/McNiven's original Old Man Logan mini. it had a post-apocalyptic Unforgiven mash-up kinda thing. Millar is a synthesizer.

but this...this was by Bendis and Sorrentino. both of whose work i've generally enjoyed in the past. and though i don't remember a lot of the story anymore it just seemed kind've devoid of the titillation that Millar is good for. and Sorrentino's style (iirc you read the New52 I,Vampire), as you know, doesn't lend itself to the same kind've detail that McNiven's does. Sorrentino is all shadow and mood.

it just didn't pack the same punch (arguable that revisiting Millar's invention here would even hold up beyond the initial mini) and it seemed slow.

oh yeah, and i suppose whether or not Wolverine is a draw would factor in too.

it just didn't do anything for me while probably, objectively speaking, being perfectly fine for what it was.

Old July 16th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #43
superfriend
laughs at comics

Question that I'm sure no one has an answer to or likely that anyone but me cares about but any word on White Tiger appearing anywhere in the new Marvel?
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
she showed up in Al Ewing/Alan Davis' Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders this week. can't say she had a huge part but she did have some panel time and some lines. Ewing was working with her on (Captain America and) the Mighty Avengers so perhaps he has bigger plans in this tie-in.

Old July 17th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #44
Amentep

1872 - I like the setup. It works as a fair western.

One thing struck me while I read this is we're not really seeing a lot of the obscure Marvel characters. Lots of variants on the main Avengers characters, several of the primary book characters not in the Avengers. But if a smaller character shows up its in the background if at all. With 500 million tie in miniseries is it too hard to have Woodgod show up somewhere? :P

Seriously, something like 1872 could have been a good chance to bring out a wide range of characters because you're taking the powers away so you don't have to worry about how those powers collide.

One weird aspect is how small the town seems; there's few settlers but it seemed empty. Perhaps its due to battleworld or the way Fisk runs thing, but you'd think a more vibrant town would have had a better, bigger stake.

But ignoring that, the conflict was nice and I'm curious to see what'll happen so I'll get the next issue.

Old August 12th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #45
Amentep

MARVEL ZOMBIES #2 - liked the backstory for Elsa and didn't see the twist coming.

MARVEL ZOMBIES vs AGE OF ULTRON #2 - yeah, an energy shield made out of Wonderman Energy. What could go wrong? Its not like he has a history of disappearing into the ether... :P

PLANET HULK #3 - kind of dull; lots of exposition. Which wasn't bad as Cap's guide presents him with some classic superhero attitudinal paradoxes. But not enough Devil Dinosaur after the beginning.

KORVAC SAGA #2 - the end could use more explanation (maybe that'll happen next issue?) but I again like the idea of the "virus" outbreaks and the Avengers/Guardians team is a good mix.

GUARDIANS OF KNOWHERE #1 & #2 - so all the aliens got shunted to Knowhere and aren't supposed to leave (guess that'd cause everyone to wonder or something) and some random punk gets uberpowered. Doesn't look good for the home team. Bendis is better here than I thought on the regular title (which I dropped twice) but it isn't as good as his X-Men stuff that I liked.

Old August 16th, 2015   Elias is offline   #46
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Default "Fantastic Four"

AXEL-IN-CHARGE: Duos New & Old, with "Deadpool/Cable" and "Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur"
Before we get to fan questions, the big entertainment news of the past week has been the "Fantastic Four" movie -- I'm curious as to how this might affect the way the Fantastic Four are viewed internally at Marvel.

Alonso:
Not affected at all. We have our plan. Whether the movie was a hit or a failure was irrelevant to us. We've got great stories to tell in the coming year, and "Secret Wars" sets the stage for them.
ddf
Albert Ching

Old August 17th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #47
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

So...okay...seriously...we are past the half way mark, right? Well, then....

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Is anything going to happen in this??? Oh my God, 5 issues of setting up a reality that won't exist at the end of this and branching out into various What If? stories which won't last when this is over and it moves at glacial speed. We had what....4-5 pages of actual action in 5 issues of the main book?

This is just seeming like a lot of effort just to bring Miles Morales into the main universe and to bring in a version of a Wolverine. Putting aside the ....dialogue that did not hold up well, look to the original Secret Wars (or CoIE). Big ideas don't NEED to be as exciting as a college lecture. You CAN realize you're writing a comic book and actually entertain readers.

I'll wait on Marvel for this to just be over already.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old August 17th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #48
Amentep

Korvac's Saga #3 - And so we come to what had been expected, that Korvac's power was leading to the virus. Good issue, be interested in the conclusion.

Secret Wars #5 - This seems to be a transition issue as a lot of the pieces that have been set-up are beginning to colide, but I'll admit 5 issues of set-up seems a bit excessive.