The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old February 14th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #1
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Default Anyone else getting a 90's DC vibe from Marvel nowadays?

Reading Marvel the last few months, I'm getting a weird sense of deja vu. Cap is out of action and replaced by his substitute a la Batman during KnightFall, Thor is all messed up just like Green Lantern was and Iron Man has gone to the dark side. Again, like Green Lantern. AND Wolverine, their top selling hero is dead and replaced by a team of people who are kind of like him but not quite like him. Just like Superman.

I mean, I'm discouraged enough thinking how Marvel seems to be on the verge of a multiverse shaking event that is running concurrence with DC doing whatever convergence is, but this is seeming a little too retread for me now.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old February 14th, 2015   Mark MacMillan is offline   #2
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Yes (sort of...). It's why I just can't read comics for the most part anymore.... It's always the same old thing over and over again.

Not just the superhero stuff either. I'm at the point where, if I ever see a zombie, werewolf, vampire, alien, killer robot, etc, again I'll rip my eyes out.

Only thing that I've found even remotely interesting since I quit comics for the most part is the Future's End weekly (and that's only because it's a throw away timeline where the creators are allowed to do whatever they want with the characters which has led to actual fresh ideas and plot/character twists that have never been done before anywhere)

But when the Future's End weekly is finished, so am I again.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old February 16th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

I get the feeling because Marvel is re-aligning their universe (however that ends up happening) that they've decided to just sort of break everything and run with it.

Old March 7th, 2015   Danny Perkins is offline   #4
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Other than the avengers line, which is a catastrophe right now and the x-books of which there are about 6 to many things are Good in my opinion. Thor under Aaron, cap, magneto, black widow. All very good.

Did I mention avengers is terrible?

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old March 9th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #5
Amentep

^ I'm loving Avengers/New Avengers (but then I have yet to dislike anything by Hickman).

Also enjoying several other Marvel titles as well (albeit I'll miss She-Hulk). Inhumans has turned around from a shaky start, Ms. Marvel is great. Am enjoying Thor. I think Deathlok might have finally turned a corner and went from see-sawing to good. Uncanny X-Men has been good.

Old March 9th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #6
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

^ I'm loving Avengers/New Avengers (but then I have yet to dislike anything by Hickman).

Also enjoying several other Marvel titles as well (albeit I'll miss She-Hulk). Inhumans has turned around from a shaky start, Ms. Marvel is great. Am enjoying Thor. I think Deathlok might have finally turned a corner and went from see-sawing to good. Uncanny X-Men has been good.
ddf
Amentep View Post
I have to disagree about the Avengers line. How can you have books about universes colliding and fleets of ancient builders endangering Earth and I sit there after each issue waiting for SOMETHING to happen. I suspect I'd like Hickman more in novel form. But in comics.....I kind of want some action.

Old March 9th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

I understand a lot of people aren't as crazy about Hickman as I am.

Old April 14th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #8
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

My problems with the Avengers nowadays go a lot deeper than Hickman. Axis ended with Tony Stark (a founding Avenger) not being put back in his right mind (if "right mind" can be used for a guy who thought shooting the Hulk up with Extremis was good idea), an Avengers leader left the team to side with a known terrorist, kipnapping a founding member in the process, one Avenger had another Avenger fused within her and another long time Avenger showed yet again that maybe her cheese is not fully seated upon her cracker.....and the Avengers do nothing about ANY of it! 14 trillion Avengers books and no one even mentions that Jan has been abducted or that Tony Stark needs to be captured and reverted. I could almost (ALMOST) deal with the years since AvX when the Avengers basically did nothing about Scott Summers, escaped felon and murderer (and they even teamed up with him!)....but this goes against everything Tony and Steve said after Dark Reign about having failed too many Avengers too many times and wanting to put that right.

Old April 14th, 2015   flashsuper is offline   #9
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

My problems with the Avengers nowadays go a lot deeper than Hickman. Axis ended with Tony Stark (a founding Avenger) not being put back in his right mind (if "right mind" can be used for a guy who thought shooting the Hulk up with Extremis was good idea), an Avengers leader left the team to side with a known terrorist, kipnapping a founding member in the process, one Avenger had another Avenger fused within her and another long time Avenger showed yet again that maybe her cheese is not fully seated upon her cracker.....and the Avengers do nothing about ANY of it! 14 trillion Avengers books and no one even mentions that Jan has been abducted or that Tony Stark needs to be captured and reverted. I could almost (ALMOST) deal with the years since AvX when the Avengers basically did nothing about Scott Summers, escaped felon and murderer (and they even teamed up with him!)....but this goes against everything Tony and Steve said after Dark Reign about having failed too many Avengers too many times and wanting to put that right.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
It just goes to show you that the writers that take over books don't pay close enough attention to what happened before, even though you get an encouraging "I'm a HUGE fan of so and so's work" or "This is my dream job" or "I've been waiting for this opportunity for years." The lack of cohesion will be Marvel's undoing (unless it is already happening, I stopped being serious about Marvel years ago). Serial storytelling and ignoring the serial part of it, well it makes no sense.

I have had a rebirth.
Old April 14th, 2015   flashsuper is offline   #10
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
By the way, buddy, where have you been? All's well on the east coast I hope?

I have had a rebirth.
Old April 14th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #11
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

By the way, buddy, where have you been? All's well on the east coast I hope?
ddf
flashsuper View Post
Peaches and cream! I've been lurking here when I was not sunning myself in Tampa. It's just that, given my disgust with DC and my feelings that Marvel has IMO been spending the last 6 or so months just breaking stuff since they know Secret Wars is coming and they get the chance to rebuild whatever they want however they want (and from I gather DC was doing similar things)......there's not been much to post about.

Except that Star Trek/Planet of the Apes crossover book that just concluded. I'm sure I'm one of the few that read it, but what a hoot and a holler that was. Pure mindless fun.

Old April 14th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #12
Amentep

Thing is, as someone who avoided Axis like the plague (bad sounding idea from a writer whose current Avengers title I really disliked was a non-starter for me).

And since I started this Avengers run when Hickman came on board, any missing continuity pieces are lost on me (and shouldn't Remender be the one following up on Jan?)

Old April 14th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #13
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

SOMEONE should.....

Old April 15th, 2015   Greg Waite is offline   #14
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

I'm looking forward to Secret Wars and what comes out from it.

I have faith in Marvel so I'm going to be patient and wait and see.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old April 26th, 2015   natevegas is offline   #15
natevegas
Decompressing

Welcoming all X-Men fans out there to this looming replacement of the x-men with the Inhumans in Marvel comic books and media. I will start with the fact that Marvel is going to eliminate the word "mutant" from their ongoing comic titles and even replacing x-men back stories with inhuman ones.

Fans already know what has happened to the cancellations of the iconic Fantastic Four ongoing team books because Fox owns the movie rights thus Marvel is trying to quell the FF and thus diminish Fox's success. Now it looks like the same tactic is being applied to the X-men. Both FF and the X-men have been around for the past 50 years and have enormous fan bases all over the world.

I want to be clear Marvel still owns all rights to X-men outside of the movie entertainment genre so it should have no problem continuing to delight fans of the X-men for decades to come but something has happened to the people in charge.
The executives now at Marvel/Disney have taken drastically different tactics.
Back in the early 90's the company was about to face bankruptcy and would have if not for the movie rights deals they made with Fox Studios and Sony Entertainment. These deals kept Marvel afloat and able to produce comic book titles and blockbuster movies like Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and the Avengers that we all enjoy today.

Now is the time to let Marvel understand just how petty and immature this looming threat to the future of X-Men and the word "mutants" will become unless we rise up and demand them to stop this immature behavior. In the movie rights deals Marvel cannot use the word "mutants" in their movies but they can use Inhumans. Both X-men and the Inhumans have separate origins and teams unique among themselves yet now I fear Marvel is going to replace the X-men with Inhumans and expect this bait and switch will be a success. I for one am a loyal X-Men fan and do not want to see this come to fruition. If you are a X-Men fan and feel the way I do then please sign this petition and stop Marvel before its too late.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/355/8...with-inhumans/

1. Killed FF team ongoing books (Fox movie rights)
2. Killed Wolverine (Fox movie rights and Wolverine 3 movie confirmed)
3. Killed Deadpool (Fox movie rights and solo movie confirmed)
4. Changing Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver's origin not Magnetos children and switch to possible inhumans.

Old April 27th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #16
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Sorry, but as a long time reader I am SO tired of the flawed X-Men premise. IF they operated in a unique universe, I could buy the whole "protecting a world that hates and fears them" thing (even if they don't really protect the world but fight other mutants in a turf war that never ends and where "good" guys go bad and "bad" guys go good). But....they're not. And you cannot tell me that the MU at large is OKAY with the Hulk being an Avenger and the Thing and the Human torch (think about it....he's a man ON FIRE) and Thor.....but Iceman and Jean Grey get people screaming in terror. Heck, the best is the Beast. Hated as an X-Man, joins the Avengers to become beloved and a media darling, rejoins the X-Men and gets hated again. Oy.

So, if you say that mutants are actually people who had latent Inhuman genes that activated at puberty, it really doesn't matter. It'll definitely help make the Inhumans more popular.

As far as the FF goes....the book has stunk on ice for YEARS now. It needs a break and a re-think.