The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 10th, 2010   ConnorFan is offline   #1
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

Default Why should I(we) be reading Power Girl?

I noticed the sinking like a stone thread and I figured it might not be a bad idea to have a thread asking why the book should be selling much better, what it has to offer.

To be honest I personally have not given the Power Girl comic a fair shot, I saw the advertisement preview pages and while the art was good and the writing didn't seem bad, the overall direction seemed kinda hokey for me. It read like it was meant to be Power Girl lite, same big boobs but half the anger issues and intensity.

So for the fans, why should we be reading Power Girl?

And for those who haven't given it a shot or dropped it, what has you not reading Power Girl?

Old January 10th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #2
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Its fun for a start but knows when to be serious.

Jimmy and Justin write a great Karen, one who is strong but not infallible.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old January 10th, 2010   achilles140 is offline   #3
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

The reasons for reading the title are simple; it is different than most other titles out there. If the overwhelming darkness and angst of most DC comics has you down, than Power Girl is a comic you might consider reading. It is light and at times funny---a sort of breezy superhero soap opera.

And it seems to be getting better, as the last issue was the best of the series IMO. Lots of pop culture references, (and you don't even need to get them for it to be fun), lots of detail in the art, an artist whose strengths play to the strengths of the writing. A strong central character who is clearly defined, so that you positively know who she is and what she's like.

Old January 10th, 2010   curiouswanderer is offline   #4
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Same boobs with half the anger is exactly why you should be reading this book. Over the last several years (decades?) the trend in comics seems to have taken their cues from daytime soap operas...who's sleeping with whom, who dies this time...everything is about life changing universe altering shake up the status quo. This book is about solid story telling with some of the best, most emotional artwork on any book on the stands.
Justin and Jimmy aren't writing those stories filled with angst and deprivation, they are fun super hero stories.
And Amanda's art work...wow. Today so many artists just dont fill in the backgrounds at all. Power Girl has a cat that Amanda keeps slipping into the panels and they are hilarious! Not only has Amanda given Karen/PG a personality in body language,but the cat has a personality as well!

If you are interested in having a fun comic with solid storytelling and fantastic art, then give the book a shot.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old January 10th, 2010   JRM is offline   #5
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Same boobs with half the anger is exactly why you should be reading this book. Over the last several years (decades?) the trend in comics seems to have taken their cues from daytime soap operas...who's sleeping with whom, who dies this time...everything is about life changing universe altering shake up the status quo. This book is about solid story telling with some of the best, most emotional artwork on any book on the stands.
Justin and Jimmy aren't writing those stories filled with angst and deprivation, they are fun super hero stories.
And Amanda's art work...wow. Today so many artists just don't fill in the backgrounds at all. Power Girl has a cat that Amanda keeps slipping into the panels and they are hilarious! Not only has Amanda given Karen/PG a personality in body language,but the cat has a personality as well!

If you are interested in having a fun comic with solid storytelling and fantastic art, then give the book a shot.
ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
I think you clearly answered your own 1st question about why we should read this book.

Why it is not selling as well as it should. For the same reasons that all outstanding main-universe books often sell worse than books with considerable less quality.

1. The herd mentality - people buy books with a buzz - whether or not it is deserved.

2. Economics - many stores don't keep shelf comics of books that they don't believe have a strong walk in - new reader audience. More store owners need to push and do incentives to build sales in under-performing books that they believe in.

3. Event mentality - sucks up too much capital both in terms of money as well as the buzz

4. Fan reluctance too often to try new things or the inertia effect

5. Not enough promotion by the companies ... see number 3

6. Books outside of the current "age" trends, tend to under perform

7. Fans that only follow "certain" star creators - even if the current work is lacking, instead of trying new things.

8. The historic fact that books loose readers over time, especially quickly after a number one or the "big shake-up try us out" issue. You get a short bump and then sales over the next number months do a quick fall and then often settle into the slow drip, drip, drip of sales drop. This is especially true for B-list characters or when the 180* change happens.

9. Sometimes the fanbase for a concept or a genre is just not there - this is especially true with how the market has ultra-focused itself on mostly just one genre (shared universe Super-heroes) since the advent of the LCS.

My thoughts,

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 10th, 2010   ronaldj is offline   #6
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

FUN...good stories...FUN...great art....FUN....FUN...FUN..what more can i say

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old January 10th, 2010   Capt America1941 is offline   #7
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

I picked up the first issue based pretty much on Amanda Conner's art (I loved her on PG in JSA Classified) and I've picked up every issue since. I'm not really a fan of "funny super-heroes", but Justin and Jimmy really balance things and keep it from becoming farce. I for one, recommend it!

fight the power !!!!! don't register!!!
Old January 10th, 2010   BART ALLEN is offline   #8
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

it is the ebst book out right now, more fun then anything since JLU was

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old January 10th, 2010   bgztl is offline   #9
bgztl
Supreme Geoffan

Well, the Vartox issue was funny. It sort of reminded me of the hokey 1970's All Star Comics' issues (in a good way).

It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Mouse Guard
Old January 10th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #10
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Its fun for a start but knows when to be serious.

Jimmy and Justin write a great Karen, one who is strong but not infallible.
ddf
oddballuk View Post
It's also a light, fairly humorous book, which is something sadly missing from the DCU right now.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old January 11th, 2010   darkspyce is offline   #11
darkspyce

I'm enjoying the hell out of it every month.

Old January 12th, 2010   DaVeO is offline   #12
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Also length. These are short done in 1 or 2 tales for the most part, no long drawn out sagas where you forget what even the point of it was.
Yet Karen as a character continues to move forward.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old January 12th, 2010   Fastest is offline   #13
Fastest
Geoffan

Amanda Conner

"Long-form writing only works if you follow through on it."-Kelson
Old January 12th, 2010   PyroTwilight is offline   #14
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Impromptu shopping.

Old January 18th, 2010   Gremlin is offline   #15
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

In my estimation, they pretty much destroyed any interest I had in the character when they cut her ties to the Earth-2 they had so meticulously (not!) set-up in 52. I had been hoping they would use Power Girl as a launching pad for the first Multi-verse series and was excited to maybe have her move to this Earth and set up shop there. When that didn't happen, which I see as a complete and utterly bad decision on the part of DC--I just never bothered to pick up the series and I highly doubt I ever will--I also doubt I'm the only one that feels that they jacked us around by having her work so hard to find her one, true home--only to find out that it was gone. But if DC wants a way around this--feel free to look me up, I have a very eloquent and creative way to fix things...

Grem-

Old January 18th, 2010   JRM is offline   #16
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

In my estimation, they pretty much destroyed any interest I had in the character when they cut her ties to the Earth-2 they had so meticulously (not!) set-up in 52. I had been hoping they would use Power Girl as a launching pad for the first Multi-verse series and was excited to maybe have her move to this Earth and set up shop there. When that didn't happen, which I see as a complete and utterly bad decision on the part of DC--I just never bothered to pick up the series and I highly doubt I ever will--I also doubt I'm the only one that feels that they jacked us around by having her work so hard to find her one, true home--only to find out that it was gone. But if DC wants a way around this--feel free to look me up, I have a very eloquent and creative way to fix things...

Grem-
ddf
Gremlin View Post
And from this phart from the same era, I hope that they never go that direction with the character. Right now the book is so good. You're missing something good, but to each their own.

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP