The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Back Issues: Geoff Johns

Back Issues: Geoff Johns Talk about Geoff's older work here

Old January 2nd, 2010   Kyer is offline   #1
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

Default Rating Geoff's stories

I hate having to ask, but...I ran across the trade for Infinite Crisis in the bookstore and purchased it on a whim as I remembered this being where Wally West was taken away while battling Superboy Prime with Bart and Jay...and also that this was where Barry came back.

Almost finished and I really like the plot and artwork (although strangely enough the scenes with Wally and Jay were really not-so good)...anyway...

eh..

Are all the books by Geoff this century that gory? Because I was hoping the whole Black Lanterns thing was something of an extreme...but seeing (well, squinting) at the deaths of the Titans and of Psycho Pirate in this book...

*Waitress?! Barf bag asap, please?*

...and now I'm wondering if I really want to see a Flash movie regardless of who is the Flash or who plays him because I really don't need additional nightmare material.

Honest...born Star Trek fan from the day and I was so disappointed that I will never be able to watch the new movie because of that parasite thing. I'd rather miss out watching my favorite characters than be subject to dismemberment and things I consider rated R for Roiling Stomach.

So...are all of Geoff's works that bloody?

Old January 2nd, 2010   KonFan78 is offline   #2
KonFan78
Advanced Geoffan

Ahh yeah, both Flash rebirth and Legion of 3 Worlds were pretty bloody. Now you mention it, yeah Geoff's stuff is pretty gory. Except his Conner stories on Adventure, those have been PG so far

Old January 3rd, 2010   Matches is offline   #3
Matches
stepping aside

Geoff does gore a lot. It's one of his "things". Not all of his work is gory, though. The first run on JSA, most of his Flash stuff, Booster Gold, and his brief work on JLA are pretty good counterexamples.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old January 3rd, 2010   JRM is offline   #4
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

For me, I really enjoyed Geoff much more prior to InC. His S&S, First JSA, Hawkman and Wally Flash are among my favorites. Only his GL (not really the Hal focused issues) work of late am I really really enjoying.

JIm

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 3rd, 2010   General grievous is offline   #5
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

His Best: (IMHO)

1) His first JSA run.
2) Hawkman.
3)Green Lantern.
4)The Flash.
5)Stargirl.

His second best:
Stuff like infinite crisis, his recent JSA and Booster gold and teen titans.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old January 3rd, 2010   KonFan78 is offline   #6
KonFan78
Advanced Geoffan

This is coming from a biased opinion, but my favorite work of Geoff's has to be his six issues of Adventure Comics. I love how he returned Conner to the lighter character I'd followed for a decade and re-established him in the DCU. The stories were great and the art by Francis Manapul was phenominal. Only thing I didn't like was that it only lasted six issues.

Old January 6th, 2010   Kyer is offline   #7
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

Meant to get on here a LOT earlier, but workplace went into overdrive...terribly tired since last posting.

I finished the one event book...ugh...death of Alex Luthor...um..

Miracle of miracles...had another chance to go the the bookstore *in the same week let alone once every year! woo!* and they had Green Lantern Rebirth. If I had known earlier that it had more Wally West scenes in it than JLA: Lightning Saga..

Anyway, half way through and liking it so far. A bit of blood...Guy metamorphosis a bit much, but tolerable...at least in comparison to Psycho Pirate's fate.

Artwork by Van Sciver is stellar. Really like it.

Question: if the rings are no longer (rather stupid anyway) prone to yellow, what are the GL Corp weakness(es)?

Questions: was a bit surprised that this was Wally and not Bart. I thought Wally was not terribly active in the JLA. Was he? What other books does he figure in besides the Flash ones? Who would be another good writer to look into (less gory?) besides Waid? That would be in reference to the GL's and the Flash's.

Old January 8th, 2010   Matches is offline   #8
Matches
stepping aside

Questions: was a bit surprised that this was Wally and not Bart. I thought Wally was not terribly active in the JLA. Was he? What other books does he figure in besides the Flash ones?
ddf
Kyer View Post
I don't think I'm underastanding your question. Are you speaking generally or in re: a specific story? Wally was very involved with the JLI and the JLA throughout his time as The Flash. He had a very large role beginning with Morrison's run and stretching through Infinite Crisis.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old January 9th, 2010   Cousin Cory Springhorn is offline   #9
Cousin Cory Springhorn
Advanced Geoffan

I don't think I'm underastanding your question. Are you speaking generally or in re: a specific story? Wally was very involved with the JLI and the JLA throughout his time as The Flash. He had a very large role beginning with Morrison's run and stretching through Infinite Crisis.
ddf
Matches View Post
Beginning with Justice League Europe, surely.

Old January 9th, 2010   Kyer is offline   #10
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

From various scans caught throughout the Net, I saw Wally in a rather humorous bit of JLI/E? attending a French Language class in France. Also in an Elites thing. I know he was in the JLA (but not which book # range) since he was in the cartoon version of the same name. Also in a Brave And The Bold with Green Lantern Other than that, I got nada.

Was Wally ever in a Superman or a Batman book or some other? I do remember seeing a scan where he played chess against Batman in the Cave and lost rather badly, but whether this was from JLA or a Batman comic...not a clue.

Just want to know which old trades/books I should be keeping my eyes out for should I get a chance to go to a used bookstore that also sells comics.

Old January 12th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #11
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Wally as the Flash is best in his own book. His entire series was well written really. I don't see how you can go wrong picking up a trade written with him.

The JLE days are a riot though, especially when Keith Giffen was writing the sereis.

Old January 14th, 2010   Kyer is offline   #12
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

Wally as the Flash is best in his own book. His entire series was well written really. I don't see how you can go wrong picking up a trade written with him.

The JLE days are a riot though, especially when Keith Giffen was writing the sereis.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Oh man! No lie there! I'm on issue #3 and I've not laughed so much reading a comic since Dilbert in the newspapers. Poor Captain Atom. He had a truly bad situation there what with just about the entire team being jerks. I mean, I knew Wally ("I'm an upstart.") wasn't exactly a saint when he was young, but...lol....and Ralph...how did Sue put up with him? And Metamo....oh, this is great stuff! Why don't they do this kind of thing now? I'd go broke buying books.

Old January 25th, 2010   Director of Everything is offline   #13
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Hawkman is easily the best thing he's ever done. It was my man Geoff at his PRIME. The dude took all of the convoluted pieces of the different variations of Hawkman's many origins and used them. Together. And made it all make sense in one cohesive whole.

It hasn't been done since. I would love to see something like that done again.

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old January 27th, 2010   Greg Owens is offline   #14
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

Default Top 5 Geoff Runs by me

1. The Flash (with Scott Kolins)
2. Green Lantern
3. JSA (First series)
4. Hawkman
5. Superman and the Legion stuff

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old January 28th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #15
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I'd have to say my rankings are JSA, Flash, Green Lantern, Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. & Hawkman.

Old February 15th, 2010   zekeman1 is offline   #16
zekeman1
Master Geoffan

but what about the stuff he wrote in middle and high school ? i just had to ask that after seeing the topic.

bob

ben, does it have a hemi ?