The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old May 24th, 2005   RoidRage is offline   #1
RoidRage
persona non grata

Default House of M sell's out and David Lapham on DD vs. Punisher

HOUSE of M #1 SOLD OUT, GATEFOLD REPRINT OFFERED
Exchanging sold-out volleys with DC, Tuesday was Marvel’s day to announce a sell-out and new printing of their big summer event. The publisher announced today that House of M #1 is sold-out at Diamond, two weeks before going on-sale June 1st, and that a reprint edition is now being offered.

The House of M #1 Coipel Gatefold Limited Edition will feature a gatefold cover, the House of M poster/”group shot” by series artist Olivier Coipel, at no extra increase in the series’ cover price of $2.99.

The new edition is scheduled to arrive in stores June 29th, one week after House of M #2. Retailers have until Thursday, 6/9 to place orders. Quantities will be limited, however, and in their announcement Marvel encouraged retailers to place orders as soon as possible to ensure getting copies.

"Orders on House of M #1 continue to pour in to Diamond after record-breaking initial numbers,” said Marvel Director of Sales David Gabriel. “We've exceeded our available copies, so we're thrilled to go back to press for this special printing. We told retailers and fans that there would be copies available on this issue and we are going to live up to that promise."

2nd story
DAVID LAPHAM ON DAREDEVIL VS. PUNISHER
David Lapham’s small-scale mainstream invasion continues in July with the debut of the six-issue Daredevil vs. Punisher miniseries from Marvel that he’s writing, penciling, and inking. Tackling Gotham City on one hand (with his current Detective Comics run), and Hell’s Kitchen on the other, Lapham is playing in the same fields as the guy responsible for pulling him into comics in the first place, Frank Miller.

“Frank's Daredevil comics were the first stories that really captured me as a kid,” Lapham said. “Growing up, I never really paid attention to the credits, I just thought, 'I really love Daredevil.' Then, one day, Daredevil wasn't so good anymore. He wasn't the same guy. I think that's when I really became aware that there was a creative hand behind these stories. As far as the project itself, it started off as Punisher project, and in many ways, he's still the main character with Daredevil playing his nemesis. But yes, it's been cool and a little surreal playing around with a character that was so important to my getting sucked into comics.”

As for the story of the miniseries, well, it’s got Daredevil, and the Punisher, right?

From Marvel’s solicitation for issue #1: “This summer, Daredevil and the Punisher vie for the soul of Hell’s Kitchen as half of the East Coast’s underworld — in chaos since Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin of crime, was deposed — scramble for their shot at the big chair. And as the city descends into chaos—as murder and intimidation become the staples of the day — Daredevil and the Punisher each seek to restore order in their own unique way. For Daredevil — who’s anointed himself the new “Kingpin” of the city — this means dispensing justice at the end of a billy club. But for the Punisher, justice at the end of a billy club isn’t justice at all. For the Punisher, justice for these animals is at the end of a shotgun. Featuring more Marvel villains than you can shake a stick at — including Hammerhead and the return of the nefarious…Jackal!”

Though the solicitation may make it sound like Daredevil vs. Kingpin sockets nicely into the elements Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev are currently exploring in the ongoing Daredevil series storyline, “Decalogue,” Lapham was very clear that the miniseries stands on its own. “While I wanted this story to fit into the current Daredevil timeline, it needed to be its own creature,” the creator said. “And I also wanted it to have a timeless quality about it. At their core, Daredevil and Punisher will always be the same people. The Punisher kills. DD doesn't. These two will never reconcile that.

“I didn't want it to conflict with what's going on during Bendis's run, so the characters start from the same place, DD is the Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen. If anything that just serves to heighten the tension between these two characters. To each the other has become intolerable.”

Though the miniseries is hardly the two character’s first (or fifteenth, for that matter) confrontation, Lapham explained that, even though the story started as a Punisher tale, Daredevil couldn’t stay away.

“The more I thought about it, the more I felt the DD/Punisher match-up was so classic I had to use him. Daredevil is the perfect foil, the ultimate frustration to the Punisher's mission to kill criminals. As far as coordinating with Garth Ennis or Bendis, those guys do great work, but just like the Punisher, I work alone. (laughs) Seriously, I didn't want my characters to conflict with theirs, but beyond that, this is just a story that sprung from my twisted brain, I pitched it to Marvel and we went full steam ahead.”

We poked Lapham for some further details on the storyline, and he coughed ‘em up.

“The New York underworld is in disarray. Without the Kingpin organized crime is in a shambles, but at the same time, violence and lawlessness is worse. From the Punisher's perspective this is exactly what he wants. There may be more crime now, but over the long haul, the quicker he can knock them down to the state of animals, the quicker he can fracture the mobs and eliminate them. He sets his sights on anyone trying to take up Wilson Fisk’s mantle. At the beginning of my story, that person happens to be Hammerhead, but the real mastermind is his right hand an old Punisher nemesis who now calls himself ‘the Professor.’

“Due to Daredevil's intervention, a planned assassination of Hammerhead by the Punisher is thwarted. Hammerhead and the Professor take extreme measures to protect themselves, putting a huge reward on the Punisher's head. Every lowlife, gangster, and opportunist in the city is out to collect, and the city becomes a war zone. Daredevil is caught in the middle, and has to try and stop the Punisher as innocent people are being intimidated and caught in the crossfire all over Hell's Kitchen. Also, in very Stray Bullets fashion, running parallel to the superheroes' story, is the tale of one of these ‘innocents,’ Martin Bastelli, Jr., a young teenager whose family owns a diner in Hell's Kitchen. He and his family have struggled under the thumb of gangster's protection rackets their whole lives. He perceives his aging father as weak for not standing up to these thugs. Martin worships the Punisher and early on has a brief encounter with him which ‘inspires’ the poor kid to do some stupid things....”

Speaking of Stray Bullets, Lapham succinctly explained the differences between the Marvel project and his creator-owned work: “No cussin' no nudity. Same great flavor.”

Looking at he broader scope of things, Lapham said that he has had discussions with Marvel about stepping into the role of writer on the regular Dredevil series after Bendis leaves, but at this point, has no idea where that stands. “”I do know that a regular series is a huge commitment, so we'll see...”

As for Lapham’s small-scale explosion into the mainstream, the creator pointed to one reason: “Inertia. It all started with the Batman project. I thought it would be cool, so I pitched them a seven/eight issue story. I got carried away and it ballooned to twelve. Meanwhile, Jim McLauchlin at Top Cow had been asking me to do something for a long time, and my famous excuse of ‘I only do my own stuff’ couldn't fly any longer. Then Marvel called and I figured, ‘What the hell...’

Right now, I have a couple of good stories for mainstream stuff, but I'm swamped with finishing Daredevil vs. Punisher, finishing the current Stray Bullets arc, and writing and laying out El Capitan's new sci-fi series - coming out late fall - The Parallax Man. After that, who knows...

Old May 24th, 2005   RoidRage is offline   #2
RoidRage
persona non grata

And Before Anyone Say's I Took This Without Proper Mention. This All Came From Newsarama Via Matt Brady

Old May 24th, 2005   TJLamb0518 is offline   #3
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Matt Brady.....where have I heard that name before?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old May 24th, 2005   Matches is offline   #4
Matches
stepping aside

Lapham on anything should be good.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old May 24th, 2005   Greg Waite is offline   #5
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

DD vs. Punisher sounds intriguing. May have to check it out.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old May 24th, 2005   DABEARS is offline   #6
DABEARS
KRYPTO,NOT ON THE CARPET!

Thanks for the links. I am looking forward to David's mini with PUnisher and DD. I am also happy to see House of M sell out.

Old May 24th, 2005   Can1 is offline   #7
Can1
Supporters

House of M looks great. I am with Matches .. anything by Lapham is worth reading.

Old May 24th, 2005   RoidRage is offline   #8
RoidRage
persona non grata

Hope Marvel is smart and take up Lapham on that idea of doing the daredevil monthly run

Old May 24th, 2005   Can1 is offline   #9
Can1
Supporters

Hope Marvel is smart and take up Lapham on that idea of doing the daredevil monthly run
ddf
RoidRage
I am kind of looking forward to Ed Brubaker on that book.

Old May 24th, 2005   RoidRage is offline   #10
RoidRage
persona non grata

I'd rather lessen the load on bendis and then let lapham handle DD and spread it out and have brubaker work on other projects besides captain america

Old May 24th, 2005   Can1 is offline   #11
Can1
Supporters

Please lessen the load on Bendis .. I love the guys stuff Roid .. but he has proven that there are certain books that do no fit his style.

Old May 24th, 2005   RoidRage is offline   #12
RoidRage
persona non grata

The basic rule is that every writer is good,you just have to find the charactor he can write well. For example Peter David is at his best with Hulk....Im sure he has done well on other projects but the HUlk is his niche...same with Geoff Johns and the Flash. Bendis I happen to love on New Avengers..so maybe those charactors and element are his thing

Old May 24th, 2005   PeterCool is offline   #13
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

I made the mistake of not picking up the first few issues of Lapham's Detective Run, and I am now in "waiting for the trade" status.

I'm probably not up for Daredevil/Punisher (It would take considerable firepower to get me to pick up a comic with the Punisher), but I'd like to see what Lapham is going to do next.

I think House of M is going to be a fun series -- Marvel is to be congratulated for the sellout. The print run was probably massive.

"You've got to be smart if you're fooling yourself"

-- Aimee Mann
Old May 24th, 2005   RoidRage is offline   #14
RoidRage
persona non grata

Well Marvel is being smart about certain things,although I expected a sell out. Any big event seems to get a sell out. The 6 preview pages of House of M really changed alot of people's mind's.

Old May 24th, 2005   Can1 is offline   #15
Can1
Supporters

The basic rule is that every writer is good,you just have to find the charactor he can write well. For example Peter David is at his best with Hulk....Im sure he has done well on other projects but the HUlk is his niche...same with Geoff Johns and the Flash. Bendis I happen to love on New Avengers..so maybe those charactors and element are his thing
ddf
RoidRage

Well I happen to believe that a writer is at his or her best when they have a story they want to tell and not one they are contracted to tell. Certainly some writers have defined themselves with a character or two .. but often that is the reason why they become stale. PAD is a perfect example. I loved his Hulk stuff .. but clearly he needed to do other things. I applaud Geoff for knowing when it was time to move on .. even if that meant leaving something behind he obviously loves. BMB has been a favorite of mine for over a decade .. and there was a point that I thought there was no book to difficult for him to write ... but unfortunately that has changed. Compared to Alias I find 'the Pulse' to be far too pedestrian .. a bunch of characters waiting around for connecting flights if you will. Granted its not horrible .. just average . and thats not something I associated with BMB in the past. New Avengers has been a bit of trial for me .. I am an Avengers geek from way back .. so I had to get past this new concept .. but basically it took me a couple of issue to get into the story .. still undecided .. more bells and whistles than story at this point .. and my main problem is the pacing and the fact that every character seems to speak in the same drawn out conversational style. But again .. more than willing to wait to see where this is going.

Old May 24th, 2005   clarkent1982 is offline   #16
clarkent1982*
Citizen

DD vs. Punisher sounds intriguing. May have to check it out.
ddf
Greg Waite
I love Daredevil a little bit more than the Flash and a big fan of the Punisher. I'm getting it.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?