The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old January 25th, 2016   TJLamb0518 is offline   #17
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

At the end of the final issue, Reed says that Johnny and Ben's stories aren't done.

I enjoyed the series, but I can definitely appreciate why someone would be disappointed in it all. In the end, it IS a bit of a "much ado about nothing."
ddf
Keith Dallas View Post
Keith...."stuck as the Thing" is the operative term. Let's assume Reed is actually right (even a broken clock is twice a day) and there is some higher purpose still out there in the future for his best friend to remain as the Thing....there's no reason he has to be the Thing 24/7. But I get it....the Thing is popular and from a sales perspective, no one really wants him cured. The solution is....don't friggin' cure friggin' Doctor Doom! The LAST person who deserves that, the guy who has been trying to kill you for YEARS, the guy who just made your wife and kids his Stepford Family for EIGHT YEARS (why didn't the kids grow during this time? Oh, Vic, you wacky omnipotent being, you...) and you decide to FIX HIS FACE??? Geez, Reed, why not give him his mother back as well to truly diffuse the situation (anyone buying THAT'S gonna happen? Bueller? Bueller?). Again, it's a nice moment showing Reed is the bigger man....as long as you never look beyond the actual scene at the bigger world.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old January 25th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #18
Amentep

I take you back to CoIE. 30 years ago. Did not go in with all this pretention and IMO stuck the landing. The follow through by DC may have been....wanting, but the story had a purpose befitting the genre and nailed it.

Kingdom Come. Same thing.

that's right...I used two DC events to show the problem with a Marvel event. That's what I felt about Secret Wars right there.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
CoIE is about one of the few events (the only one I can think of) that really stands on its own.

Kingdom Come was an Elseworlds miniseries, not an event comic - it was on par with Marvel's MARVELS that was coming out at the same time. A great mini, but not really comparable, IMO.

Secret Wars wasn't the best event comic I've read but it was no Millennium either (to damn with faint praise, I guess).

Old January 26th, 2016   TJLamb0518 is offline   #19
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

CoIE is about one of the few events (the only one I can think of) that really stands on its own.

Kingdom Come was an Elseworlds miniseries, not an event comic - it was on par with Marvel's MARVELS that was coming out at the same time. A great mini, but not really comparable, IMO.

Secret Wars wasn't the best event comic I've read but it was no Millennium either (to damn with faint praise, I guess).
ddf
Amentep View Post
oof....Millenium.......

Okay, what was that one DC did in the 90's ....Invasion? You know with the dominators and the bomb thing that screwed with heroes powers? THAT one seemed to stick the landing and di not try to be "deep" at the expense of actual story (and I have nothing against truly deep stories...Hell, Starman was nothing but one long deep story). And I'll give Marvel some love by saying Infinity Gauntlet was pretty tight, given what they were going for.

Again, I think this would've been a better novel than comic.

Old January 26th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #20
Amentep

I think it would have been better if he hadn't wasted the first 2-3 issues rehashing what anyone could read in the tie-in stories with just a little bit of background that was new involving Doom, Valeria, Sue and Strange.

If, though, ultimately the story is the people on the life rafts upsetting Doom's apple cart, it really needed to start there and not wibble about.

But I still think it ended better than it started (even if Reed vs Doom isn't the newest fight in the world).

Also I count Invasion as a good event comic; really did what it set out to do very well (and in three over-sized issues, as I recall).

Old January 26th, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #21
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I had no problem with the set up at the beginning...to me that was the best part. As someone who wasn't collecting a lot of Marvel titles, it was pretty necessary to me.

My biggest complaint was the interminable middle issues of Secret Snores. On & on & on with the navel gazing & posturing. Then they EXTENDED it because...there hadn't been enough talking? It took so long to get to the conclusion, I kept having to remind myself what the general point was.

I feel like the whole thing would have read better if they had gotten more quickly to the "resistance" identifying the threat (Doom) and rising up against him sooner.

I can be more patient with these events when I feel like they are moving forward. And I can be more forgiving when they nail the landing.

I would cite as good examples:
Secret Invasion (the whole who's really a Skrull was a great hook).

COIE (didn't know which Earth was going to get it when); the touchpoints in the middle had gravitas.

Flashpoint (built to something significant at the end, although talky in the middle).

Civil War...again, a little talky but built toward something.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 28th, 2016   TJLamb0518 is offline   #22
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I had no problem with the set up at the beginning...to me that was the best part. As someone who wasn't collecting a lot of Marvel titles, it was pretty necessary to me.

My biggest complaint was the interminable middle issues of Secret Snores. On & on & on with the navel gazing & posturing. Then they EXTENDED it because...there hadn't been enough talking? It took so long to get to the conclusion, I kept having to remind myself what the general point was.

I feel like the whole thing would have read better if they had gotten more quickly to the "resistance" identifying the threat (Doom) and rising up against him sooner.

I can be more patient with these events when I feel like they are moving forward. And I can be more forgiving when they nail the landing.

I would cite as good examples:
Secret Invasion (the whole who's really a Skrull was a great hook).

COIE (didn't know which Earth was going to get it when); the touchpoints in the middle had gravitas.

Flashpoint (built to something significant at the end, although talky in the middle).

Civil War...again, a little talky but built toward something.
ddf
I was torn on adding Civil War to my list. Only because the two main characters were written SO out of character (really....Cap should have been Pro-Registration and Iron Man should have been against government control) and because they (despite their proclamations) so badly wanted to pain Iron Man as the "villain" that they forgot the fact that in the books leading up to Civil War it was plainly said that the government originally wanted to just make ALL super-powered activities illegal and the whole registration this was a compromise to allow for some level of activity to occur instead of making all the heroes villains.

Old January 29th, 2016   Danny Perkins is offline   #23
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I was torn on adding Civil War to my list. Only because the two main characters were written SO out of character (really....Cap should have been Pro-Registration and Iron Man should have been against government control) and because they (despite their proclamations) so badly wanted to pain Iron Man as the "villain" that they forgot the fact that in the books leading up to Civil War it was plainly said that the government originally wanted to just make ALL super-powered activities illegal and the whole registration this was a compromise to allow for some level of activity to occur instead of making all the heroes villains.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Not to quibble, but I think putting cap and iron man on opposite sides was kind of the whole point. And the more I think about it they are on the side I think they belong on in civil war.

Carry on.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old January 29th, 2016   TJLamb0518 is offline   #24
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Not to quibble, but I think putting cap and iron man on opposite sides was kind of the whole point. And the more I think about it they are on the side I think they belong on in civil war.

Carry on.
ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
On opposite sides of each other, sure. But I feel Cap, who always had a problem with unsupervised young heroes and a strong tie to the government and Iron Man who was hounded by the government to give up his secrets and went out of his way for most of his career to keep his identity secret were put on the wrong sides of things.

Cary Grant.

Old January 29th, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #25
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

On opposite sides of each other, sure. But I feel Cap, who always had a problem with unsupervised young heroes and a strong tie to the government and Iron Man who was hounded by the government to give up his secrets and went out of his way for most of his career to keep his identity secret were put on the wrong sides of things.

Cary Grant.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Agreed. Based on history, Cap & Iron Man should have faced each other on the opposite sides. Part have this may have been an approach of "wow, won't those readers be surprized when they see WHICH side Cap and Tony are on".
And some were because it didn't line up with the history noted. I still enjoyed the story, but that part did feel a little off to me.

Kitty CARY-All

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 29th, 2016   TJLamb0518 is offline   #26
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Agreed. Based on history, Cap & Iron Man should have faced each other on the opposite sides. Part have this may have been an approach of "wow, won't those readers be surprized when they see WHICH side Cap and Tony are on".
And some were because it didn't line up with the history noted. I still enjoyed the story, but that part did feel a little off to me.

Kitty CARY-All
ddf
I'll also add that, despite what they said at the time and since, Marvel knew full well the Pro-Reg hero would not be viewed as "the hero" of the piece and that's why they ignored what Tony had done to mitigate what the government originally wanted to do andwas actually pretty heroic by getting them to go for registration instead of prohibition. And there's no way they'd allow Cap to be perceived as anything less than right in his thinking.

Cash and Carry.

Old January 30th, 2016   darthlucifuge is offline   #27
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

I loved it.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards