The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 20th, 2013   Matches is offline   #1
Matches
stepping aside

Default Avengers/ New Avengers by Hickman Question

OK so... having read through Avengers #8 and New Avengers #4 - how are these two stories connected to one another, if they are?

We've seen Ex Nihilo take steps in Avengers to make Earth sentient, only to have Starbrand accidentally "kill" it - leading to the reference that the Earth is broken.

New Avengers references the entire multiverse being broken - is this a related event or something else entirely?

Also - any ideas as to when these stories are set in relation to one another? I'm not one to get hung up on the sequence of stories in different titles normally, but in this case if there is a connection between the two, it may be relevant. Specifically, is Iron Man in Avengers operating with the knowledge that the multiverse is in jeopardy as shown in New Avengers?

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 20th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #2
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

OK so... having read through Avengers #8 and New Avengers #4 - how are these two stories connected to one another, if they are?

We've seen Ex Nihilo take steps in Avengers to make Earth sentient, only to have Starbrand accidentally "kill" it - leading to the reference that the Earth is broken.

New Avengers references the entire multiverse being broken - is this a related event or something else entirely?

Also - any ideas as to when these stories are set in relation to one another? I'm not one to get hung up on the sequence of stories in different titles normally, but in this case if there is a connection between the two, it may be relevant. Specifically, is Iron Man in Avengers operating with the knowledge that the multiverse is in jeopardy as shown in New Avengers?
ddf
Matches View Post
And to go further....where does all this fit in with Iron Man being in space during his book and GoTG? And assuming anything in Cap is real, he's been away for many years.....all VERY confusing.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 20th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #3
jafabian
Iím not dead.

IMHO, Iron Man's turn in Guardians Of The Galaxy takes place after Age Of Ultron but I don't believe comics are as much of a stickler for detail in timelines as they used to be. That's obvious when you see the Thing, Spider-Man and Wolverine in the Avengers or with the Green Lantern, Batman, Flash and Superman appearing in multiple books for DC.

As long as it results in a good story I don't mind.

Old April 20th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #4
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

IMHO, Iron Man's turn in Guardians Of The Galaxy takes place after Age Of Ultron but I don't believe comics are as much of a stickler for detail in timelines as they used to be. That's obvious when you see the Thing, Spider-Man and Wolverine in the Avengers or with the Green Lantern, Batman, Flash and Superman appearing in multiple books for DC.

As long as it results in a good story I don't mind.
ddf
jafabian View Post
It can't though....didn't the last Iron Man series end with Tony leaving Earth for space?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 20th, 2013   SmilingKnight is offline   #5
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

Everything in Avengers takes place after Cap is kicked off the illuminate in new Avengers. The final scene of the new Avengers looking down over him is the first memory Cap has waking up in issue 1 of Avengers. So they mind wiped him and got him to build a huge Avengers team just in case they can't handle it them selves.

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old April 20th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #6
jafabian
Iím not dead.

It can't though....didn't the last Iron Man series end with Tony leaving Earth for space?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post

I don't think so but I'm not sure. I don't believe his space armor is capable of interstellar travel. He can get to the moon but but he goes past that point he's limited. But in any event it's a non-issue to me. Just looking for a good story. If Iron Man ends up appearing in multiple books so be it. Considering the success of the movie franchise I understand that.

Old April 20th, 2013   flashsuper is offline   #7
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

Everything in Avengers takes place after Cap is kicked off the illuminate in new Avengers. The final scene of the new Avengers looking down over him is the first memory Cap has waking up in issue 1 of Avengers. So they mind wiped him and got him to build a huge Avengers team just in case they can't handle it them selves.
ddf
SmilingKnight View Post
OR...he is creating a new Avengers team to face the bigger threats...i.e. The Illuminati?

I have had a rebirth.
Old April 20th, 2013   superfriend is offline   #8
superfriend
laughs at comics

too soon to tell. with Hickman, it'll be a few years down the road before you realize what he's doing. he hails from the Lost/presentism school of storytelling.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old April 21st, 2013   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

I thought the connection was that in NEW AVENGERS we find out that something is causing the multiple earths to "crash" into each other; in AVENGERS we find that the Universe is "broken" and two different systems (Ex Nihlo, the White Event) to "save" universal life have kicked off at the same place (which shouldn't happen) the implication being that the "crash"ing is what's resulting in the "break"ing.

Or something. Really as long as I enojoy each title as they are, I'm perfectly willing to wait for Hickman to make the line through the books obvious.

Old April 21st, 2013   Matches is offline   #10
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
SmilingKnight View Post
Thank you; that was exactly what I was looking for. And on re-read, you are entirely correct. I just realized that the Dyson sphere under construction in NA #4 is the spot where the Avengers incarcerate Starbrand and Nightmask at the end of Avengers #9.

So that's really interesting. The Avengers going big could be Tony's attempt to make up his betrayal to Cap, as he promised, or he could be building a team to combat the unintended consequences of whatever he and the Illuminati did.

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Iron Man has made at least two trips into space, as he is in space in the current "Godkiller" arc but was on Earth during the first arc of his Now! series. I'm not reading Guardians so I can't speak to which trip his adventures with them take place during. Makes more sense for it to be the trip at the end of Fraction's series, because otherwise that trip had no point at all.

As for Cap - seems likely that time is passing differently in Dimension Z than it is in our world, and then whenever he returns little or no time will have passed. I did notice in the last All-New X-Men that Maria Hill made a reference to not being able to find him. Might be a reference to him disappearing, might just be that she couldn't find him at that moment.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 22nd, 2013   anthony_lynch15 is offline   #11
anthony_lynch15
aka. Anthony Lynch

As for Cap - seems likely that time is passing differently in Dimension Z than it is in our world, and then whenever he returns little or no time will have passed. I did notice in the last All-New X-Men that Maria Hill made a reference to not being able to find him. Might be a reference to him disappearing, might just be that she couldn't find him at that moment.
ddf
Matches View Post
I think that's a reference to Cap & the other Avengers being stuck in the time bubble Tempus put them in in Uncanny X-Men.
Although it makes me wonder just how bad the intelligence people at SHIELD are.
As the Avengers trapped in the bubble is all over the news.