The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old January 25th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Scarlet Witch

Well the plots kind of interesting, although I have to say I dislike the heavy handed MAGIC HAS A PRICE! storytelling in comics.

But...who is the regular artist on this book? Because the shift in art styles between issue 1 and 2 was...dizzying to say the least.

Old February 4th, 2016   starks is offline   #2
starks
Geoffan

Agreed on both fronts, especially when you see the "magic has a price" in the Doctor Strange title as well.

The art was better in this issue than the previous one.

Don't know what the direction of this title actually is. The first issue I thought she was going to pair herself with cops, now this one, I just don't know. Giving it a few more issues.

Old February 4th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

Saw the solicitation for the next issue and it had a third artist so...guess no permanent artist?

And yeah MAGIC HAS A PRICE!!!! isn't my favorite story; its an artificial way to to give magic a "limit" because people don't want to see their hero have trouble because they haven't hit the books and did their research or something. :P

Old February 5th, 2016   starks is offline   #4
starks
Geoffan

Maybe they don't have a lot of faith in the book and couldn't nail down an ongoing artist.

Old February 5th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #5
Amentep

I guess like a lot of new series, its being seen as a mini until it isn't, but I had wondered if in this case if it really exists to help flesh out the "magic is wrong" story in Dr. Strange (since SW has appeared a couple of times there already and IIRC Dr. Voodoo is in one of the team books) and isn't seen as something that'd be a permanent book, really.

Old February 8th, 2016   RoseWilson is offline   #6
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I guess like a lot of new series, its being seen as a mini until it isn't, but I had wondered if in this case if it really exists to help flesh out the "magic is wrong" story in Dr. Strange (since SW has appeared a couple of times there already and IIRC Dr. Voodoo is in one of the team books) and isn't seen as something that'd be a permanent book, really.
ddf
Amentep View Post

What do you mean by Magic is wrong? The concept their pushing hard of it having a price? Strange's food issues and Wanda's aging ? I'm not entirely crazy about the concept and it's being done better in Strange IMO. Actually Doctor strange has been a superior book in almost every regard IMO.

I really want to like this more than I have so far. I loved James Robinson way back in his Starman/JSA days. I love magic and I like female fronted books but it really has just been OK so far for me.

Old February 8th, 2016   HushedRuin is offline   #7
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

I think Robinson said it'd be a bunch of singles/"done in one" stories, so maybe that's why there's a new artist every issue...?

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old February 9th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #8
Amentep

I mean there have been hints in Doctor Strange and in Scarlet Witch that there's something not quite right with the world of magic. It may be tied to the magic-hunters in DS, but it could be part of the "New Universe" as well.

I'd agree Strange is a stronger book so far.

Old February 14th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

Read issue three, and I'm out. Story just wasn't where I'd like it to be, and generally I'm not enamored with the way the story went. The shock ending, instead of making me want to no more made me think, "really?"

Old February 15th, 2016   starks is offline   #10
starks
Geoffan

I saw the new solicit, and I jumped off as well. Doesn't seem like much of a direction.

Old February 15th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

Also that should be "want to know more". I'd like to blame the comic for knocking the grammar out of me, but no - that was me just being a crappy typist.

Old February 15th, 2016   RoseWilson is offline   #12
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I'm still hanging on by a thread. I like the character , I like magic, I like female fronted books (though marvel from having had none of these when they canceled X-23 a few years ago must have close to double digits) I'm close though very close to joining you guys. It's sad because I think Starman is an all time classic but James just isn't a top writer anymore. I'm kind of hoping for a creative change.

Old February 16th, 2016   TJLamb0518 is offline   #13
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I'm still hanging on by a thread. I like the character , I like magic, I like female fronted books (though marvel from having had none of these when they canceled X-23 a few years ago must have close to double digits) I'm close though very close to joining you guys. It's sad because I think Starman is an all time classic but James just isn't a top writer anymore. I'm kind of hoping for a creative change.
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
See....I'm thinking Robinson may be the Bobby McFerrin of comics. He may do a lot of other stuff, but there's only going to one hit in his repertoire.

Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old February 18th, 2016   starks is offline   #14
starks
Geoffan

I think you're right, although his early JSA work was good as well. I've been trying his stuff mainly because of that, thinking he'll do well. But looking at his output in the last few years (3-5), I think his ability to craft good stories is well past him.

Old February 19th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

I liked his recent Invaders. I do think he's not quite at the same level as he was for The Golden Age and Starman.

Old March 1st, 2016   mmk123 is offline   #16
mmk123
Geoffan

I think that James is doing a good job on this book. I do not think that anything will ever match his Starman or The Golden Age but I have enjoyed the first 3 issues so far. (I still think that if he would have stayed on Earth 2 it would have been an incredible run but I guess that ship has sailed).

The Scarlet Witch is one of my all favorite comic characters (both Marvel and DC) and what Bendis did to her was horrible and a crime against the character. I do think that the character has been redeemed though and I feel that James is writing her well and treating Wanda with the respect and the dignity that such a long running character deserves. I do not know where sales are on the book and -not meaning to sound pessimistic - I do not think the book will make it past 12 or 15 issues (even though it would be great if it lasted for a good 3 to 4 year run). However, I will enjoy the book for as long as it will be around.