The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators

The Comic Shop: Creators but wait, there's more!

Old June 21st, 2006   Secret Publicity Stunt is offline   #1
Secret Publicity Stunt

Default Birds of Prey #95

Just got it! But I have to say i'm not exactly happy with it. Finally there is some good, decent art, but then Gail has to slip on the plot. I loved the writing, of course but this whole OYL seems to be deprecating to the Birds, IMO.

SPOILER WARNING

First off I think that the Birds is getting a little crowded. I mean it started with two, and now.. six? Yes six. Sin has been brought to America... how predictable. I mean maybe I should give Sin more of a chance, but now it will seem like Sin will be the sixth wheel, having to be dragged along.

Secondly, I love Gypsy, don't get me wrong. But, she seems a little.. permenant. I mean i'm sure she is a great guest star like Vixen & Wildcat. But core Birds of Prey? I'm not jumping for joy with that because now the Birds have to share the spotlight even more.

Lastly, the whole ending of this issue seemed a little, meh. I would have been fine if it ended with just Dinah & Sin, but the whole Shiva thing seemed to be thrown in for fun. "Auntie Shiva?" I want her back as the mean-***, top fighter in the DCU!

Don't get me wrong this issue wasn't horrible, I loved Crime Doctor & found him to be a very fun character. His suicide seemed to be very appropriate & noble. Nice touch Gail. Also the art was a definite improvement then what it has been. It was very good, except at the end.. I couldnt tell who was Helena and who was Cindy!

Blah, maybe a second reading will do some good, but as of write now i'm not the happiest camper.

Old June 21st, 2006   tlm1260 is offline   #2
tlm1260
Geoffan

Six? Oracle, Zinda, Huntress, Gypsy, Black Canary. Who am I missing.

As for Dinah bringing Sin to the US, I saw it coming and I'm glad it happened. The idea that Dinah would walk away and leave Mother to change Sin into another cold-blooded assassin just doesn't fit her character.

Anyway I really enjoyed this issue. Particularly the fact that Prometheus was portrayed as a serious heavy weight while still having the Birds get a few nice hits in.

"Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining about something." - My Mom
Old June 21st, 2006   Wally West888 is offline   #3
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

Your missing Shiva...

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old June 23rd, 2006   tlm1260 is offline   #4
tlm1260
Geoffan

Your missing Shiva...
ddf
Wally West888
Shiva's not a permanent member. She was just there while Dinah was away.

"Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining about something." - My Mom
Old June 23rd, 2006   Velocity9 is offline   #5
Velocity9
Power Cosmic Horseman

I'm kind of bummed that Shiva isn't going to be a permanent fixture on the team. I love how Gail writes Shiva, not too many people seem to 'get' her as well as Gail. I do like the similarities between Dinah and Shiva though, Dinah adopts Sin to teach her how to be a real little girl and Shiva adopts Bethany to be a killer. In an odd way Shiva is to Dinah as Zoom is to The Flash, but way less obvious, which is really cool.

Will fight The Amish for money.
Old June 21st, 2006   bigbad is offline   #6
bigbad
Advanced Geoffan

I really enjoyed the issue.I just thought Bethany would have recognized Shiva at the end of the book.

Old June 21st, 2006   Jeff Nowicki is offline   #7
Jeff Nowicki
Pineapple!

I really enjoyed the issue.I just thought Bethany would have recognized Shiva at the end of the book.
ddf
bigbad

I was confused by that at first too. After I thought about it, Bethany was only introduced to Zinda. As soon as they left the school the H.I.V.E. drones showed up.

She recognized Shiva, but it seemed like she wasn't so much asking for her name, but more of a-- "Who Are You?" Like 'what makes you tick crazy lady?'

I do think there was a different error when Huntress faces off against Prometheus. He mentions the first time they met, and Helena then says: "And the first time I saw you, Batman left you a drooling puddle..." I think it meant to read "And the last time I saw you..." Maybe it can be corrected for the trade?

Great issue overall. I loved when Huntress asked if she was on one of his discs. Gail surprised me because, when I saw the preview pages, I assumed she was contacting Ollie for a JLA transport to rescue Helena and Zinda. They actually held their own against the nutcase. Especially Gypsy. (I loved the art on the pages when Gypsy smacked him with his own weapon.)

I think Gypsy proved why she was worthy of JLA status this issue. Her powers keep developing and I'm excited to see what the future has in store for her. I hope we get to see J'onn stop by. He has always looked after Gypsy like a daughter. J'onn also has ties to Dinah and his connection to Oracle was evident in JLA #18-19. (The Julian September issues. They were pretty much an Oracle spotlight.)

Next issue: Black Alice!!

Old June 21st, 2006   Erinyes is offline   #8
Erinyes

I loved the issue as usual. I think it is rather fitting that the child Dinah brought back is the one that she fought to protect, much like the child Shiva found. It seems oddly perfect that Shiva is going to teach the child of the man that helped bring about a humbling defeat. Little Bethany won't be the only one getting revenge. I like that, Shiva is still an evil woman but I can easily understand how her mind works in an odd way.
Prometheus got some good work in as well. I loved how he was taken down. Good work from all the girls. Huntress is amazing!!!
Gypsy is showing she can actually be a strong asset to the team, and its nice to get a feeling of she may not be exactly ready for this yet. I want to see a story from her perspective soon. Right now she is there and I am feeling her prescence and getting a bit of a grasp of her, but I want her to be developed more. Alot more.
All in all I loved the issue.
Thom

A lover of the lesser known heroine
Old June 21st, 2006   E2Brutus is offline   #9
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

This issue did seem a bit anticlimactic, but I'm not sure why. Bring ing Sin back to the states was kind of a down beat to me, because I felt it coming as soon as we saw her 4 issues ago. Still, Gail got me to like Huntress, believe Shiva could work well with others and brought Gypsy back out of limbo. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Old June 22nd, 2006   reasonablefan1 is offline   #10
reasonablefan1
Advanced Geoffan

it will seem like Sin will be the sixth wheel, having to be dragged along.
ddf
Secret Publicity Stunt
Supporting characters are a part of any good book and Gail has demonstrated real strength in handling supporting characters. Like any good supporting player, Sin will pop up when she is needed and will otherwise probably be in school.

Secondly, I love Gypsy, don't get me wrong. But, she seems a little.. permenant.
ddf
I'm in a wait and see mode here. I've never cared for the character, but after the magic Gail has worked on Huntress and Shiva, I'm willing to see what develops.

The size of the cast doesn't really bother me. Some of the most character-driven books in comics history have been large team books.

but the whole Shiva thing seemed to be thrown in for fun. "Auntie Shiva?" I want her back as the mean-***, top fighter in the DCU!
ddf
No offense, but you REALLY misread that scene. That was scene was downright creepy and an absolutely clear signal that Dinah's efforts to transform Shiva failed. Plus the whole training of a child to fight has a resonance with Shiva and her daughter Cassandra's relationship.

I'd love to see Gail write a "possible" future story arc where we get to see Sin, Lian Harper and Helena Kyle (hopefully Wayne) all grown up and adventuring in the future as the "Birds of Prey" confronting the Shiva-trained Bethany. Maybe even have Ramsey Robinson make an appearance.

"And the first time I saw you, Batman left you a drooling puddle..." I think it meant to read "And the last time I saw you..." Maybe it can be corrected for the trade?
ddf
Or maybe in saying "saw you" really meant "met you." Comic fans tend to want characters to speak precisely but in my experience most people, in conversation, misuse words.

Old June 22nd, 2006   BART ALLEN is offline   #11
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

THe idea of SIN becoming Black Caray in the future. I agree with the above poster a future Birds story would be great , but who could take Barbara's place? The red Tornados daughter?

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old June 22nd, 2006   Gail Simone is offline   #12
Gail Simone

The "who are you" comment was a bit confusing because of the art. Shiva was supposed to be in shadow at the time!

Gail

Old June 22nd, 2006   E2Brutus is offline   #13
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

The "who are you" comment was a bit confusing because of the art. Shiva was supposed to be in shadow at the time!

Gail
ddf
Gail Simone
See? I knew there was a good excuse--er, reason.

Old June 22nd, 2006   bigbad is offline   #14
bigbad
Advanced Geoffan

Gail
ddf
Gail Simone
Thanks.

Old June 22nd, 2006   Atom-Smasher is offline   #15
Atom-Smasher
Master Geoffan

So is Sin going to meet Renee, Oracle's little friend? They'd make cool playmates, I think.

And there really was some awesome art this week. I don't mind Siquiera, but if Prado could be brought in weekly or alternate arcs with Siquiera (sort of like the Daniel/Nauck deal over on Teen Titans), it would be killer.

Go to the Nexus--you'll be glad you did!

The Nexus: Your Hub for Online Fandom
Old June 23rd, 2006   Augustine is offline   #16
Augustine
We win. My friend.

Another good issue (shock of all shocks I know)

Prometheus turned out to keep up being a serious threat without getting his butt handed to him, hell he even showed a bit of honor slighly. More writers should make a note of this.

The Crime Doctor....okay I admit I didn't think that would happen. Still it goes to show no matter how twisted a person is, no matter what they may have done there might be something out there that even they may make the ultimate sacrifice for.

Bit sad to see Shiva gone so soon, she **** well kicked mucho butt and her conversations with the birds are going to be missed. Nice to see she has an apprentice.

You know who Sin reminds me of. Cassandra aka Batgirl. And I mean that in a good way. Considering she's the daughter of Shiva and now that Shiva has taken on a new apprentice.....well I'm sure many of you see where I'm going with this.

And if you write such a story Gail.........please for the love of God save the character from what has befallen her lately. If you taken a peak at the Bat forums here or at the DC board and really any messageboard out there whats happening to Cassandra is so negative it's not even funny.

Do this and I shall build several churches, statues and shrines to you filled with nubile virgin men ready to serve your every whim.

Fortune favors the foolish.