The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Greg Rucka > Greg's Comic Book Café

Greg's Comic Book Café Grab a latte and come in and chat!

Old September 20th, 2014   Elias is offline   #1
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Default Greg Rucka's New Gotham

Bleeding Cool:
Auteur Theory, Attitude, And Visual Style In Greg Rucka’s New Gotham
Rucka, Martinbrough and WildStorm FX on Detective

ComicsAlliance:
Born In A World Of Tragedy: Greg Rucka Reflects On His Batman Work, Part One [Interview]
To say that Greg Rucka had a profound impact on DC Comics in the 21st Century is underselling things quite a bit. After arriving on the scene in the late ’90s, he became one of the few writers to have written all three of DC’s biggest characters, with critically acclaimed runs on Action Comics and Wonder Woman. It was on Batman, however, where he made his biggest impact, as one of the writers for the year-long No Man’s Land crossover, the relaunched “New Gotham” era of Detective Comics, and cowriter of the enduringly influential Gotham Central.

Today, we begin an in-depth look back at Rucka’s tenure on the Dark Knight, starting with No Man’s Land, both the comic and its surprisingly popular novelization, in which Gotham City becomes a dark dystopia following a cataclysmic earthquake; his feelings about the core idea of Batman; and his frustrations on seeing the Joker show up in the pages of Superman.
ddf
Chris Sims

Paid For In Blood: Greg Rucka Reflects On His Batman Work, Part Two [Interview]
Our chat continues today as he looks back on becoming the regular writer of Detective Comics, speaking very candidly about trouble with DC editorial, his creation of Sasha Bordeaux, and the comic he and Rick Burchett created that he considers to be a perfect done-in-one issue.
ddf
Chris Sims

Batman Is A Fact Of Life: Greg Rucka Reflects On His Batman Work, Part Three [Interview]
Today we finish our three-part interview series with a look at Gotham Central, the book that focused on the non-superhero police detectives of Gotham City. Rucka speaks at length about how looking at Batman from the outside changes how the character works, the nature of collaboration with series co-writer Ed Brubaker and artist Michael Lark, and how the book produced one of the greatest Joker stories of all time.
ddf
Chris Sims

Old September 20th, 2014   Jake1823 is offline   #2
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Not my favorite Batman writer. To me, he was best with the fringe characters...Batwoman, Renee Montoya, Crispus Allen. That was when Rucka was at his best. I'd love him back in that regard.

Where is everybody?
Old September 21st, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #3
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

He's my favorite Batman writer.

Old September 22nd, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #4
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Rucka's Batwoman was pure awesomeness. Left that title when he did.

Old September 22nd, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #5
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Those Martinbrough detective issues introduced me (and I assume many others) to Rucka. It led me to the NML novel and then Kodiak and then obsession.

So I can't objectively comment on them.

I need to pull out those books and go back and read them again just to remind myself.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old September 23rd, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #6
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I discovered Rucka at my local library one day looking for a new author to read in mystery section. They had his two books available Finder and Keeper since he hadn't written his third novel Smoker yet.

One day I see Whiteout trade Rucka's name on it. Read it.

I pick up No Man's Land #0 based solely on Rucka. At that point, I hadn't been reading Batman at all.

I've been enjoying Rucka since Keeper. His No Man's Land issues always stood out among the other writers on NML.

His creator-owned comics and novels is where he excels and I find greater reading enjoyment.

Old September 23rd, 2014   Matches is offline   #7
Matches
stepping aside

I enjoyed Rucka's run, with some caveats. Visually it was very distinct, with the muted color pallette, and I always thought that worked really well. There are a couple of issues in that run in particular - the Montoya birthday issue, Gordon's retirement dinner - that are gold.

I do think that Rucka played Batman as very machiavellian, and I never cared for that. He didn't start it - Chuck Dixon's Batman had a streak of it too - but Rucka seemed to amp it up to 11, even as far back as the NML issues. To me that was a bad trend in Batman's characterization that culminated in the awful War Games/ War Crimes mess.

Greg's not the only creator to express dismay over the state of the Batman editorial office once Denny was phased out, and it really sounds like that was a difficult time. I've actually been re-reading the Murderer/ Fugitive stuff recently, and overall it's not bad but you can see the seams showing - ideas get mangled between different creators and the overall story ends up with some odd logic gaps.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 23rd, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #8
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

His creator-owned comics and novels is where he excels and I find greater reading enjoyment.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
I do agree that is CO stuff is exceptional, but I have enjoyed his work for hire stuff too. He excels at procedural type of stuff and that is why I enjoyed his Batman/Woman, Gotham Central, Question, and Punisher. I also found his Wonder Woman to be outstanding and the fact that DC never allowed his full story to play out is a shame. THe grander things get the more he struggles and he never quite got me with his Superman.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old September 23rd, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #9
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I do think that Rucka played Batman as very machiavellian, and I never cared for that.
ddf
Matches View Post
I always love reading your takes Matches they always make me think. In this case its funny, but that was one of my favorite things. Batman isn't really a man, he's a mission. Bruce Wayne isn't the secret identity of Batman, its the other way around. That is why Greg was so awesome on the Punisher. Batman is DC's punisher without the guns and the killing. To each his own I guess.

I do agree about the color pallate. It was so fitting of the story. That was one of those cases were the art so perfectly fit the tone of the writing making it come together as something greater than the sum of its parts. I do not believe I have come across Martinbrough since then and I wish he and Greg would hook up again at some point.

Old September 23rd, 2014   Matches is offline   #10
Matches
stepping aside

I always love reading your takes Matches they always make me think. In this case its funny, but that was one of my favorite things. Batman isn't really a man, he's a mission. Bruce Wayne isn't the secret identity of Batman, its the other way around. That is why Greg was so awesome on the Punisher. Batman is DC's punisher without the guns and the killing. To each his own I guess.

I do agree about the color pallate. It was so fitting of the story. That was one of those cases were the art so perfectly fit the tone of the writing making it come together as something greater than the sum of its parts. I do not believe I have come across Martinbrough since then and I wish he and Greg would hook up again at some point.
ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
Thank you, and likewise of course. I've never really bought into the "Bruce Wayne is a mask" idea - one area where I part ways with the O'Neil-era interpretation. To me the whole point of the Murderer/ Fugitive storyline was to take that idea to its logical conclusion, i.e. to have Batman discard Bruce entirely once it became a liability, and then put the lie to it. One of the Brubaker issues of that arc laid it out pretty well, I thought. Unfortunately, as Greg notes in the Comics Alliance piece, that bit of character development got scuttered almost immediately. (One of the pluses of the New 52 IMO has been the return of Bruce Wayne as an actual entity.)

Martinbrough is currently drawing Thief of Thieves from Image, BTW. Still doing really good work.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.