The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

View Poll Results: Should Simon stay on as a GL or be retired?
Keep him on! The more the merrier! 11 39.29%
Retire him in some form of manner. There's too many GL's, especially on Earth. 17 60.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Default Should Simon stay on as a Green Lantern?

So at some point Simon's story will end. He can't keep his ring though I'm betting the Guardians will be curious as to how he brought a dead person back to life and keep him on for that purpose. Can he or should he be kept on as a GL when Hal returns or should his story be finalized?

Old March 8th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #2
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Why not get rid of everyone except for Simon? The internet could use a good explosion, IMO.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old March 8th, 2013   Matt Olsen is offline   #3
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

Why not get rid of everyone except for Simon? The internet could use a good explosion, IMO.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Agreed, and not just for the forum entertainment value! That would work for me as a status quo for a while. I'm much more interested in Simon's story at this point.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old March 8th, 2013   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #4
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Agreed, and not just for the forum entertainment value! That would work for me as a status quo for a while. I'm much more interested in Simon's story at this point.
ddf
Matt Olsen View Post
Seconded.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old March 8th, 2013   Alan is offline   #5
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I'll take all of them. Earth should have at 10 Green Lanterns just to protect it from the huge number of alien assaults it suffers from which somehow Hal and co are never around for. If it wasn't for Superman....

Do other planets get as much attention?

Old March 8th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #6
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Seconded.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
Wouldn't that be "thirded"?

Anyway, at this point Simon's got the possibly more interesting point to travel and follow whereas everything else seems like status quo for the others.

So, maybe just leaving the rest of them in the background until something really interesting comes up for them each to do isn't a bad idea?

Old March 8th, 2013   Thrillho is offline   #7
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

I'd like to see Simon retired. Not killed, not broken in any fashion that takes him permanently off the table; I'd just like to see him complete his character arc (whatever that is) and decide that, while there are multiple (too many?) Green Lanterns on earth, there are duties that only Simon Baz can take care of for now.

Then maybe we see him again in GLC one of these days, when someone has a story they want to tell about him.

Really, that's the same thing I feel about EVERY character, from Hal Jordan to Blue Jay.

Old March 8th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #8
Dr_Decipher

I have no problem with Simon Baz being Green Lantern. He definitely will be provocative.

That's the one thing that DC Comics has always had over Marvel -- their overarching theme of immigrants and the struggles of cross-culturalism, and how we all deal with essentially being from one prior culture and even having our own native inner tendencies as a part of that culture, and how we are forced to adapt to new alien cultures and survive there. Like nothing else, this is what I think really sets DC Comics apart.

Gerard Jones' book "Men of Tomorrow" is a singular cultural analysis of the history and philosophy of the entire comic book history, with a particular emphasis on the comic book industry's all-important roots in immigrant culture. If you haven't already read it, you really should pick up a copy and study it, to elevate your status as a comic book reader to that next level of intellectual relevancy.
Last edited by jafabian; March 9th, 2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Discriminatory on religion

Old March 11th, 2013   BrandonFordDodds is offline   #9
BrandonFordDodds
Geoffan

Get rid of him.

Too many Earth Green Lanterns.

In new DCU, taco eats you. -Hernandez Didio
Old March 11th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #10
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

To be fair, if you were to have all GL's disappear and have only Simon remain, wouldn't it be a bit of a retread of Kyle's story? The only difference is the demeanor of the character, but at least half the stories would revolve around him being "the last green lantern."

Also, it's clear there isn't going to be a return to status quo after this event ends, as:

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read

Guy Gardner is becoming a Red Lantern, Kyle is remaining a White Lantern, and Hal is going to be THE leader of the Corps, so maybe the only one with a "status quo" is John Stewart.

I know he has his fans, but I wouldn't mind losing John to help alleviate the problem. He doesn't offer much more than what other GL's have to offer, and we're already thinning the Earth-Herd as it is.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old March 11th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #11
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

To be fair, if you were to have all GL's disappear and have only Simon remain, wouldn't it be a bit of a retread of Kyle's story? The only difference is the demeanor of the character, but at least half the stories would revolve around him being "the last green lantern."

Also, it's clear there isn't going to be a return to status quo after this event ends, as:

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read

Guy Gardner is becoming a Red Lantern, Kyle is remaining a White Lantern, and Hal is going to be THE leader of the Corps, so maybe the only one with a "status quo" is John Stewart.

I know he has his fans, but I wouldn't mind losing John to help alleviate the problem. He doesn't offer much more than what other GL's have to offer, and we're already thinning the Earth-Herd as it is.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
IDK, people could say Kyle treaded over a lot of ground other GL's did before him as well.

Kyle wasn't the first GL that was an artist.

Kyle wasn't the first GL to have a significant other killed by a super villain.

Kyle wasn't the first to be the only active GL left.

Kyle wasn't the only GL that's been powered up and back down.

I could go on and on, but you probably catch my drift.

So, putting the others in the background for Simon doesn't necessarily mean he's treading over Kyle's territory because a lot of this stuff isn't just beholden to Kyle.

Also, the above stuff with the other GL's could be kept in the background for a while and even visited upon every now and then, while the focus remains on Simon.

No one's favourite gets utterly destroyed, and we get to watch the new guy grow into his own.

Sounds like a "win/win" to me.

Plus, I really like B'dg with Simon (reminds me of when Katma was training John only with a comedic bent)

Old March 11th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #12
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

IDK, people could say Kyle treaded over a lot of ground other GL's did before him as well.

Kyle wasn't the first GL that was an artist.

Kyle wasn't the first GL to have a significant other killed by a super villain.

Kyle wasn't the first to be the only active GL left.

Kyle wasn't the only GL that's been powered up and back down.

I could go on and on, but you probably catch my drift.

So, putting the others in the background for Simon doesn't necessarily mean he's treading over Kyle's territory because a lot of this stuff isn't just beholden to Kyle.

Also, the above stuff with the other GL's could be kept in the background for a while and even visited upon every now and then, while the focus remains on Simon.

No one's favourite gets utterly destroyed, and we get to watch the new guy grow into his own.

Sounds like a "win/win" to me.

Plus, I really like B'dg with Simon (reminds me of when Katma was training John only with a comedic bent)
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but who was the "last green lantern" before kyle? I was always under the impression that there were numerous green lanterns at any given point until Kyle (not knowing that years later, we would learn that Raker Qarrigat still had his power ring).

As an aside, I would totally buy a GL book starring both Simon and B'dg, that'd be an awesome team and dynamic.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old March 11th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #13
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Pardon my ignorance, but who was the "last green lantern" before kyle? I was always under the impression that there were numerous green lanterns at any given point until Kyle (not knowing that years later, we would learn that Raker Qarrigat still had his power ring).

As an aside, I would totally buy a GL book starring both Simon and B'dg, that'd be an awesome team and dynamic.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
Guy Gardner. After Sinestro's ghost destroyed the GLC, only John, Hal, and Guy were left with working rings.

Shortly after that Katma was killed (causing John to go into seclusion) and Hal went on the road again, leaving Guy as the last active GL for a time.

There's also the original stories of Sodam Yat and Rand Vidar of the LoSH as well.

Old April 10th, 2013   JRM is offline   #14
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Were is the Don't care or the TJ for Mod button. Like any character, he is only as good has the creator behind him - thus pulling the plug would only serve those who believe that only "My verison" is valid types. And if for no other reasons than that, I'd say, keep him around.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old April 10th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #15
mego joe
Geoffan

I have no problem keeping him around, but if he's the lead in the Green Lantern book I'm gone.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old April 22nd, 2013   starks is offline   #16
starks
Geoffan

Simon Baz should have his own title, while the GL title should be headed by Hal IMO.