The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 26th, 2013   imarriedsatanII is offline   #129
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

There's some fine ideas in that facebook poll, I gotta say.
ddf
hurri-fan View Post
Agreed!

"Something profound" - Me
Old November 26th, 2013   Astro@work is offline   #130
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Here's how I have been hoping DC would approach this all along...

1. Establish the current DCnU Earth as Earth 0. I have never held hope this current incarnation will go away, but it can be assigned to being "an" Earth, rather than "the" Earth.

2. Assign all silver age tales to Earth 1. Everything up to (but not including) COIE. An Earth where everything continued BEFORE the merging of the Earths. Satellite JLA. Donna Troy rescued by Wonder Woman from a fire. Dick Grayson in Nightwing role, but no long history of other Robins. Batgirl never crippled.

3. Earth 52 as the immediately-prior-to-Flashpoint Earth. JSA as legacy mentors from the same Earth. The long storied histories of the JLA and Titans intact. Barbara Gordon is Oracle and member of the Birds of Prey. Black Canary as daughter to the original. Hawkman in reincarnated version. Firestorm about to blow up from Brightest Day (lol).

From there, stories coule be told on Each Earth in multiple books, appealing to all fans.
The trickiest Earth would be #52, because of the frequent tinkering with continuity. I figure the easiest thing to do would pick it up from right where we left off, rather than trying to establish something goofy such as "After COIE, but before Final Crisis" or anything crazy like that.

**I think somebody earlier in the thread suggested the Multiverse solution btw, this would just be my take on it.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old November 27th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #131
mego joe
Geoffan

1. Establish the current DCnU Earth as Earth 0. I have never held hope this current incarnation will go away, but it can be assigned to being "an" Earth, rather than "the" Earth.

2. Assign all silver age tales to Earth 1. Everything up to (but not including) COIE. An Earth where everything continued BEFORE the merging of the Earths. Satellite JLA. Donna Troy rescued by Wonder Woman from a fire. Dick Grayson in Nightwing role, but no long history of other Robins. Batgirl never crippled.

3. Earth 52 as the immediately-prior-to-Flashpoint Earth. JSA as legacy mentors from the same Earth. The long storied histories of the JLA and Titans intact. Barbara Gordon is Oracle and member of the Birds of Prey. Black Canary as daughter to the original. Hawkman in reincarnated version. Firestorm about to blow up from Brightest Day (lol).

From there, stories coule be told on Each Earth in multiple books, appealing to all fans.
The trickiest Earth would be #52, because of the frequent tinkering with continuity. I figure the easiest thing to do would pick it up from right where we left off, rather than trying to establish something goofy such as "After COIE, but before Final Crisis" or anything crazy like that.

**I think somebody earlier in the thread suggested the Multiverse solution btw, this would just be my take on it.
ddf
[email protected] View Post
I am right here with this.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old November 29th, 2013   Call Me El is offline   #132
Call Me El
Geoffan

ddf
[email protected] View Post
Great ideas. It would be more logical for the "New 52" Earth to be Earth 52, but that's just a nitpick.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old December 1st, 2013   Sentinel119 is offline   #133
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

Nope. I am pretty much done with DC. I am reading Earth 2 because it is completely new and there is no dangling of my favorite characters returning. Also my bank account sure is loving the dropping of 11 monthly titles.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old December 1st, 2013   John is offline   #134
John

See, I never agree with this argument. As a child of 4 or 5 reading comics, the whole multiple earth, duplicate yet different characters by the same name didn't confuse me at all. I simply thought it was cool as heck. Hell, I wanted to know MORE about these older characters. This was part of what set DC apart for me. They had backstory. There was an endless well of stories for me to seek out and explore. Of course editors and writers would give you a little blurb then to explain anything that might be confusing... to complicated a concept these days I suppose. *rolls eyes*
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
Exactly, I knew the difference between Katar and Carter, Hal and Allen, etc. In fact, I was INTO the whole multiple earths AND was proud that I knew the difference between all of them!