The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old April 2nd, 2014   jafabian is offline   #33
jafabian
I知 not dead.

From Superherohype: Cory Michael Smith to Menace Gotham as The Riddler

Old May 6th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #34
jafabian
I知 not dead.

The Gotham Trailer is Here! Now Updated with an Extended Version!

Well, it's convinced me to check out at least the premier episode.

Old June 17th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #35
jafabian
I知 not dead.

From CBR: Producers Design "Gotham" to Please Hardcore Bat-Fans and Casual Viewers Alike

I'm thinking they'll be able to find a balance between both. The success of the Nolan movies practically demands it.

Old July 4th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #36
jafabian
I知 not dead.

From Superherohype: Carol Kane joins the cast of GOTHAM

She'll be the Penguin's mother. If she was 20 years younger I'd think she'd make a great Harley Quinn.

Old July 22nd, 2014   jafabian is offline   #37
jafabian
I知 not dead.

Two Further "Gotham" Villains Revealed

Looks like Hugo Strange and Harvey Dent will show up.

Old August 5th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #38
jafabian
I知 not dead.

Dexter’s David Zayas Joins Gotham as Mob Boss Sal Maroni

Not sure if he should really be a mob boss at this point, but I'll take it.

Old August 24th, 2014   Guicho- is offline   #39
Guicho-

Spin -Off...
[IMG][/IMG]

Old August 26th, 2014   Guicho- is offline   #40
Guicho-

Say it with me ...Spin-off!

No edit? maybe mod can merge with above.

Old September 23rd, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #41
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

so what did everyone think?

So I don't mind certain changes from source material. I think at times it's necessary to make a transition from print to film or TV.

But what purpose does it serve making Alfred Australian?

Aside from that it wasn't bad....It didn't wow me but it wasn't bad.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old September 23rd, 2014   Matches is offline   #42
Matches
stepping aside

It was okay. Didn't blow me away but entertained me enough that I will watch again next week.

Funny you mentioned the Australian thing - my daughter jumped all over that immediately.

Gordon seems a little wooden. IMO Bullock was the best part of the show.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 23rd, 2014   Troubleshooter is offline   #43
Troubleshooter

The premier wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. As I say to my wife sometimes regarding movies or shows: "My socks stayed on."

The Good
I liked that they focused on Jim Gordon, and not Bruce Wayne. It was more a cop show than a superhero show. The back story to Gotham City's corruption was good. I could project 13 years forward and see how Batman had so much to clean up. Even forcing Gordon to "kill" Cobblepot - nice job with the moral ambiguity. The casting was spot-on, even for Falcone, with the exception of Crocodile Dundee Alfred. There was the feeling that this was Batman: The Animated Series, just pre-Batman.

The Bad
TOO MANY NAME DROPS!!! Catwoman, Ivy, Penguine, Bullock, Montoya (who, comic-wise, should be, like, 11 years old), and Crispus Allen -- ALL IN THE PILOT EPISODE?!?! Really?!?! Also, I'm kind of confused as the the actual direction of the show. Some of the direction was jumbled and crazy. And was it really necessary to insinuate that Barbara had a relationship with Montoya that she kept from Gordon? That seemed like a forced plot point just to make people aware of Montoya's sexual preferences, and to make future friction between Montoya and Gordon.

"The avalanche has started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Old September 23rd, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #44
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

It was okay. Didn't blow me away but entertained me enough that I will watch again next week.

Funny you mentioned the Australian thing - my daughter jumped all over that immediately.

Gordon seems a little wooden. IMO Bullock was the best part of the show.
ddf
Matches View Post
My son did too. As soon as he opened his mouth. We both looked at each other at the same time.

Agree that Bullock was the best part of the show. I also liked Penguin.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old September 23rd, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #45
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

The premier wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. As I say to my wife sometimes regarding movies or shows: "My socks stayed on."

The Good
I liked that they focused on Jim Gordon, and not Bruce Wayne. It was more a cop show than a superhero show. The back story to Gotham City's corruption was good. I could project 13 years forward and see how Batman had so much to clean up. Even forcing Gordon to "kill" Cobblepot - nice job with the moral ambiguity. The casting was spot-on, even for Falcone, with the exception of Crocodile Dundee Alfred. There was the feeling that this was Batman: The Animated Series, just pre-Batman.

The Bad
TOO MANY NAME DROPS!!! Catwoman, Ivy, Penguine, Bullock, Montoya (who, comic-wise, should be, like, 11 years old), and Crispus Allen -- ALL IN THE PILOT EPISODE?!?! Really?!?! Also, I'm kind of confused as the the actual direction of the show. Some of the direction was jumbled and crazy. And was it really necessary to insinuate that Barbara had a relationship with Montoya that she kept from Gordon? That seemed like a forced plot point just to make people aware of Montoya's sexual preferences, and to make future friction between Montoya and Gordon.
ddf
Troubleshooter View Post
See I didn't mind having Allen and Montoya in the show. I realize that they were not around when Gordon was starting out but was happy that they included them. TO have a Batman related show without Batman I felt the need to connect to some of the officers in GCPD. I think they did that by using the names people would recognize.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old September 23rd, 2014   TJLamb0518 is offline   #46
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I didn't mind Allen or Montoya as they are not HUGE names to hang a hat on. But I really wish (I'd say hope but I know better) we'd wrap up the Wayne involvement and lessen the "oooh, I know who THAT guy/gal becomes!" bits. The Falcones and their weird image of what's best for the city, Jim being one of the few good cops in a bad town, Bullock coming over to Gordon's way of thinking, Barbnara Gordon's past....relationship with Montoya....these are all things you could focus on with a procedural show and make it work.

Especially that last thing. THAT needs to be explored.

Often.

In graphic detail.

On Cinemax.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old September 23rd, 2014   JRM is offline   #47
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Over all enjoyed myself. Found the characters interesting enough to come back to. I do actually hope that Bruce plays but a small part, and it is built around the 4 cops as a whole. Interestingly, I believe that I caught Barbara's last name to be given as Kane.

If someone wants rigid linking to any multi-media usage, they are going to be disappointed - so enjoy it for what it is in and of itself.

One nice thing is that here in Canada CTV is running Big Bang Theory at & PM and Gotham at 8. No over lap.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old September 23rd, 2014   RoseWilson is offline   #48
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I thought it was alright. Not quitting on it after one episode but it didn't blow me away either. Don't really care enough to get up in arms if Alfred is Kiwi or Australian. I hope they don't overuse young Bruce never crazy about child actors. Thought some of the dialogue was a bit cheesy know it's a super hero show but felt a little too comic booky at times as in feeling like it was a comic book as opposed to the Nolan Batverse which felt realish when you were watching it.