The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old August 26th, 2008   Madison Lee is offline   #33
Madison Lee
Rebooted and ready!

Wow, WB is just......stupid. Making Superman darker serves no purpose other than to destroy a great character. What many fail to see is that the Dark Knight succeeded not because of Bale, but because of Ledger's Joker.
The Super franchise lack serious villains, Zod was an exception but still if a new Superman film is to be made the focus should be on the villains and NOT the man of steel.
Do a "Death of Superman" trilogy and see the box office numbers, let Kal die and be replaced by grim and gritty Supermen so you can see how unique he really was and when he returns it will be that much sweeter.

"On Earth I'm Lee,.....Linda Lee."
http://krypto-blog.blogspot.com
Old August 26th, 2008   Augustine is offline   #34
Augustine
We win. My friend.

I still don't think the darker they spoke of meant as in Superman being emo and saying people don't understand his pain.

Instead of silly, whimsical play up the comic book factor where anything can happen I believe they are going "darker" in the way that it's going to be more real. These people are going to be special amongst regular people and they'll play that up and show what happens when you do have such people.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old August 26th, 2008   Jake1823 is offline   #35
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I still don't think the darker they spoke of meant as in Superman being emo and saying people don't understand his pain.

Instead of silly, whimsical play up the comic book factor where anything can happen I believe they are going "darker" in the way that it's going to be more real. These people are going to be special amongst regular people and they'll play that up and show what happens when you do have such people.
ddf
Augustine View Post
I agree with you.

But still, people are reacting to the "darker" without knowing WHAT'S going to get darker.

Where is everybody?
Old August 26th, 2008   k26dp is offline   #36
k26dp
Earth-7's L73dp

ddf
Augustine View Post
That's what Watchmen is for. I don't need that in Superman.

If by "darker" they mean darker villains that comprise a serious threat to the hero, their loved ones, and the world at large, I'm all for it. As someone mentioned, "The Dark Knight" worked because Joker (and Two-Face) worked. Batman was nothing but heroic, as he should be.

You can have a "dark" Superman movie, but Superman himself should have no moral ambiguity to him. He can be tempted, he can be tricked... but he should never do the wrong thing.

"Sinestro Corps War" is some of the darkest comics of the decade, but Green Lantern (all of them) were absolutely heroic.

Old August 26th, 2008   Greg Owens is offline   #37
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

I agree with you.

But still, people are reacting to the "darker" without knowing WHAT'S going to get darker.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Yup. Seems a bunch of people are getting their dander up over an ambiguous caveat and the opinion of whomever wrote this article. But I guess it's easier to light the torches and start to form a mob mentality over basically nothing.

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old August 26th, 2008   jafabian is offline   #38
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I agree with you.

ddf
Jake1823 View Post

That's what scares me if what is being reported in regards to the direction of the Superman franchise is true. Wasn't Superman III to show the darker side of Superman? Are we going down that path again?

I get this mental picture of Jon Peters' finally getting his dream matchup of Supes fighting a giant spider in one of his movies.

Old August 26th, 2008   Not My Real Name is offline   #39
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

Some of the best Superman stories were pretty dark--

Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel

For the Man Who Has Everything

Doomsday

II + II = VII
Old August 26th, 2008   Greg Owens is offline   #40
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

Some of the best Superman stories were pretty dark--

Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel

For the Man Who Has Everything

Doomsday
ddf
Not My Real Name View Post
The Night the Lights Went Out in Metropolis

Superman's Big Sleep in a Very Dark Room

The Adventure's of Superman: No Peeking, It's a surprise, Birthday Present Edition

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old August 27th, 2008   KBVinson is offline   #41
KBVinson

Personally, I think most of the fan community has taken this entire situation out of context and are blowing it WAY out of preportion.

In re-reading the article from Variety in (Aug, 15 '08), paraphrased below:

""...both Warners and DC are committed to turning "the properties into viable movie product in an intelligent way so that we introduce them like planes on a runway. They have to be set up the right way and lined up the right way and all take off one at a time and fly safe and fly straight."

"We're not off the notion of a Justice League, there's a massive interest and knowledge in the comicbook industry and it takes time to sort of catch up and understand the characters and the history, where they've intersected with each other and what their worlds are. That's part of the education that we're going through."

In reading the article above and taking it in the context with Mr. Robinov's statement from this past Friday...from my perspective, it sounds like they're trying to get "it right", rather than getting it "right now." And from this, we all hope that we'll start to see the quality products that we've always wanted.

I love the fact that the studio is truly THINKING about how all these worlds and characters might collide. Much like Marvel has done with both the Hulk and Shell-Head.

For the most part, people are/were very supportive of Marvels plan (and execution) of this past summers cameos...there's no reason to believe that WB & DC can't do the same. Giving us actual characterizations that are thought out and understood by the producers. Respecting the audience (giving us intelligent stories), and respecting and accurately depicting the character and it's source material.

I don't think we'll see a "dark" Superman any time soon. Call me hopeful, overly optimistic or a down-right fool, but I think we're about to see a good thing happen, from and for both Marvel and DC.

-KevyKev
Old August 27th, 2008   Argent is offline   #42
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

Well, I think they have $800 Million reasons to think they are on the right track. What Nolan has done with Batman is not only make a seriously profitable property again, but also illustrate that the stronger the villain the stronger the film.

Ledger's Joker was that good, and not just his masterful performance but everything about him. The concept and the writing were amazing and original, and yet still recognizably the Joker. Add to it the tragic story of Two-Face and the film finds its emotional core, moving to Shakespearian levels of tragedy in the end. And yet, the ending is oddly upbeat. Batman beats the Joker, but loses the woman he loves, loses the man who could have saved Gotham and relieved him of his reason to live in the shadows, even sacrifices his good name and heroic status. All for what he hopes is a greater good and the ability to fight another day. He doesn't win, he endures. And we love it to the tune of almost a cool Billion dollars.

And the guys now running the DC movie show helped make this film happen, were integral to the process according to Nolan.

I think we can cut them some slack that they're going to do right with DC. Especially if they're talking about researching the characters for what makes them work, educating themselves on their history, i.e. Reading the Comics.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old August 27th, 2008   Wally West888 is offline   #43
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I think they can make some movies have dark parts but not a whole dark broody movie, we don't want Bat-Superman, Bat-Green Lantern, Bat-Flash, or Bat-Wonder Woman, or Bat-Shazam you know.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old August 27th, 2008   Terry Sloane is offline   #44
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

"Darker" = Superman 3 with Richard Pryor, fighting his nasty side.

Oh, hwat the heck. I think it means more fights. There was a kryptonite shiv shoved in his back, followed by an ass-kicking, in Superman Returns for pete's sake. That was pretty dark. So I think they must mean the overall tone must be more fighty and emotionally conficted. Or something.

Old August 27th, 2008   KBVinson is offline   #45
KBVinson

Found this on the Superman Homepage, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid give us their thoughts on the upcoming Superman Reboot.

I also find it interesting that Mark's concerns mirror much of what you've see in most forums about the topic.

In addition, MTV's Splash Page has comments from Kevin Smith, Waid and Jeff Loeb on the topic.
Last edited by KBVinson; August 27th, 2008 at 11:55 AM.

-KevyKev
Old August 27th, 2008   Eric Q is offline   #46
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Found this on the Superman Homepage, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid give us their thoughts on the upcoming Superman Reboot.

I also find it interesting that Mark's concerns mirror much of what you've see in most forums about the topic.
ddf
KBVinson View Post
I think Greg would be a great choice to write a Superman movie. He knows what makes him SUPERMAN.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old August 27th, 2008   KBVinson is offline   #47
KBVinson

I think Greg would be a great choice to write a Superman movie. He knows what makes him SUPERMAN.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
I agree! I think if they were to have any member of the DC creative staff (past or present - writers or editors) to assist with the production of this movie, we're in for a treat.

Both Shell-Head and TDK had the assistance and input of creators during the plot/scripting and production phases of filming and and we see how well liked both films are. Give me any of the guys mentioned in either article and I'm psyched!

-KevyKev
Old August 27th, 2008   Terry Sloane is offline   #48
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

WB should remember that Returns was the movie they wanted. If they go all grim and gritty with this reboot, the property will be toxic unless they veer back toward redemption.