The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old February 23rd, 2007   DarqueGuy is offline   #17
DarqueGuy
Advanced Geoffan

I have the feeling that the presence of Superman and Batman are going to be critical to this movie, especially getting the actors playing them in their independent franchises. If Wonder Woman and Flash are able to make it out of the gate before this goes into production, they’re likely shoe-ins as well…hell, maybe doing a JL movie will be a part of those actors’ contracts when they sign for those characters’ flicks, respectively. Meanwhile, I think there are some characters like Green Lantern whose origins are so interesting that it’d almost be doing an injustice introducing them to the general public at large by putting them in a film where they’re not the primary focus. Probably the same could be said about Hawkman (either the Egyptian or Thanagarian versions).

Beyond that, like others have said, I think they should fill the team with characters who could then be spun off into their own franchises, which may mean bucking the “Big 7” trend. Whether you like him in the comics/cartoons or not, I don’t think a character like Martian Manhunter could sustain his own movie series. Same with characters like Black Canary, Red Tornado, Vixen, Metamorpho, etc. On the other hand, folks like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Zatanna, the Atom, Plastic Man, even more “outside-the-box” characters like the Question, Booster Gold and Black Lightning would be ideal candidates to fill out the remaining slots. So if you do a team of, say, eight characters, with four of them (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Flash) ideally already introduced in their own films and four others who could be spun out from a JL franchise to their own, I think it could be the makings of a major hit that could sustain a stronger DC presence in the cinema for years to come.

Vote for my comic "Mr. Trildok Sings the Blues' all through April! www.zudacomics.com
Old February 23rd, 2007   aflahive is offline   #18
aflahive
Advanced Geoffan

Another problem I would have with using Batman and Superman is that their films do not feel the same. Batman, realistic, gritty...Superman, not so much. I think putting Batman in a movie with over-the-top characters could lead us to another Batman and Robin with batscates........something no one, other than Warrior, wants to see.

Old February 23rd, 2007   Old School is offline   #19
Old School
persona non grata

I would love to see this actually happen

Old February 23rd, 2007   TheRay is offline   #20
TheRay
Supreme Geoffan

I have serious doubts we'll see it happen, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to.

As I posted on Newsarama's thread about this news, I'd hope that a movie like this can somewhat mirror what was done in the Justice League animated series pilot. Nothing too heavy-handed in regards to origins.

http://www.facebook.com/daniel.penland
Xbox Live ID: TrumpetDan
Playstation Network ID: TheRay3
Steam: TrumpetDan
Old February 23rd, 2007   mrumsey is offline   #21
mrumsey
GL fan and loving it!

While at first this seems like a neat idea, I don't think it would serve well the characters that would likely be in it that could stand on their own in a stand-alone movie. The budget would be astronomical and you have to know that the "big 3" would most likely outshine everyone else.

DC really needs to have someone who's going to take the reins of helping them get their properties to the big screen. Characters like WW, Flash and GL are ripe for good movie adaptations to be made and technology is there to do things visually that never existed before. I've been waiting for what seems like a lifetime to see Hal Jordan and the GL Corps on the big screen in a big sci-fi action epic.

A DC team movie? For that I'd rather see the JSA done and leave the JLA'ers to do the solo films for now.

Visit my blog, The Blog of OA

Raging Bullets - A DC Comics Podcast
Old February 23rd, 2007   Eric is offline   #22
Eric
Adventurer/Man About Town

Here's the thing, they are pretty much restricted to characters that they have the rights to use.

Yeah, Warners owns DC, blah blah blah. But last time I checked, Warners is a massive company made up of smaller companies that don't talk to each other very often. Production Company A may have the rights to Flash, and Production Company B may have the rights to Grteen Lantern. If the movie is being made by Production Company C, they have to negotiate with A and B if they want to use those characters.

The rights issue will likely either

a) keep the movie from ever being made

or

b) wind up having a bunch of C-listers that nobody's ever heard of or cares about and it will wind up not making a lot of money.

Either way, it will take a miracle to make this anything but a colossal waste of time and money. Not to say I'm not hoping for a miracle, but remember... we're talking about Warners, here. Look how long it took them to deal with the Superman issue. And look at the folks they just dropped from their other comic properties.

Old February 23rd, 2007   allanf is offline   #23
allanf
Geoffan

I actually think this stands a good chance of getting made, actually, I believe both Routh and Bale are locked into at least two sequels each, so they might be champing at the bit to get those accounted for, in addition to the already announced sequels to their respective franchises, so they could conceivably pursue other films in the near(er) future. Warner Brothers has been trying to get a SUPERMAN/BATMAN movie going for awhile (to the point that at least Bale's contract, I believe, has a clause that such a movie would count as one of his contracted sequels) but the recent ALIENS/PREDATOR and FREDDY/JASON have made such team-ups kind-of the watchword for dead-end desperation in a franchise. This vehicle would provide them with such a movie, without the stink of an "X+X" title. Plus, the appeal and significant financial success of the X-MEN movies, with their larger casts and spin-offs a-borning, can't be lost on WB, either.

As for how to do it, I say a five-person team: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash. Those are the biggest guns going at DC, and the smaller number allows for more character interaction in a blockbuster like this would have to be. I could see maybe having Aquaman, given his odd current cultural touchstone status, or MAYBE J'onn as an impetus to getting the group together, but no more than that. The menace has gotta be alien, given that the majority of great JLA stories, including the origin, have extraterrestrial adversaries. I'd prefer Despero, but the animated origin is as good an origin story as any.

The main thing that I think is important, and that I think the SMALLVILLE ep missed out on, is that the League is a gathering of equals for the greater good. It's not Batman's team, or Superman's team, or the government's team. They all have separate careers and adventures, but they come together to face menaces greater than any one hero can face. The gathering of equal heroes is the POINT of the League; it's as important as family to the FF, or as being mutants is to the X-Men. Otherwise, it's just any generic superhero team.

Old February 23rd, 2007   smallville is offline   #24
smallville
YoungJustus is remembered

If they did a JLA origin, I could see them doing a story where the trinity were being mind controled by some big baddie, Braniac or someone, and the rest of the heroes slowly get together and have to not only free trinity, but fight the Braniac or whoever at the end. That way, the story would focus on characters like Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, Black Canary,Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter (or whoever they chose). THis way, the writers could see who gets the biggest fan repsonse and make the next movie. And it would also take the trinity away from being the stars of the movie, as they would be playing more or less the big evil minions. Green Lantern vs. Batman, Superman vs. Flash and Wonderwoman vs. Canary. This way, after the trintiy are free, and they face the big bad, they are not technically the JLA, but once the fights over, you see them building a tower or soemthing to symbolize that they are becoming the JLA.

I think it'll happen, whether they can get Routh and Bale, I doubt it.

"I Will Have a Wolverine FREE X-Book. In Fact, It Will Be Called 'No Wolverine.'-Whedon
Old February 23rd, 2007   Director of Everything is offline   #25
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Considering how much stock WB has put into their other franchises, I don't know how well they'll be able to pull it off. Thatbeing said, if they manage to do this right, it'll be ****ing amazing!!!

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old February 23rd, 2007   Marky is offline   #26
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Ideally it would be great to have a big honking trilogy. Have the first movie as mainly a Batman/Superman movie but still introducing the big bad and other characters (kind of like the first Justice League episode) and then just introduce more heroes with the extra screen time afforded and end with a big epic battle in the last movie ala Return Of The King VS a huge threat like the White Martians or Darksied

Back to reality (!) I think the idea of a group of smaller characters who mihgt not get thier own movie like Black Canary, Green Arrow etc would be a cool idea but the idea of the major characters teaming up is obviously the bigger draw. I'm with those who would like to see Bale and Routh in thier roles but, as most people are saying, the idea of waiting until the Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern movies are all off the ground is a bit of a dampner on that idea.

Heroes Reborn 2: V Neck Boogaloo!
Old February 23rd, 2007   LastGuardian is offline   #27
LastGuardian
LastGuardian69 on PSN

The likely way this gets done, if at all, is if the "big 3" are Steel, Catwoman and...oh, let's say Ambush Bug.

The better thing to put some thought into, and a roundabout way of helping TPTB to put the dollar signs in their eyes, is a live-action Teen Titans movie. Once that was a blockbuster everyone would be a bit more cooperative likely, knowing how well it could do if they didn't allow so much compromise as to sacrifice quality. An actual fan (meaning one who read(s) the comic books monthly) heading either project would make a great deal of difference as well.

△○╳□
long live play
Old February 24th, 2007   JordanGLC is offline   #28
JordanGLC

I'd love to see this movie. I think it's important to establish as many characters in their own movies before this movie happens, as others have said in this thread (especially Hal Jordan, as mrumsey pointed out ).

The other thing is to ackowledge the existence of other parts of the DC Universe in the individual films. Gotham was mentioned in Superman Returns so there's a start. Here's a post I put in another forum in a thread about The Dark Knight:

One thing that I would love to see in this next film is a conversation between Bruce and Clark. They don't exactly travel in the same circles socially, but you could have them both stuck in a malfunctioning elevator or something where they'd be forced to be together for a period of time. Don't make it a meaningless cameo though.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Rachel will be murdered by The Joker in this upcoming film. Brutally. This will of course devastate Bruce and take him to an even darker place. A well placed chance encounter with someone with a decidedly different perspective might plant a tiny seed of faith in his psyche. Just enough to keep him from killing The Joker when he finally gets his hands on him.
ddf
JordanGLC
Thoughts?

Old February 24th, 2007   Wally West888 is offline   #29
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I hope this actually becomes a movie.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old February 26th, 2007   EmaHal is offline   #30
EmaHal

i hope in the JLA Movie
Line UP: The orginal Seven (Hal, Barry, Aquaman, WW, S, Bats, MM)
Villain: Starro The Conqueror
Cameos for: Atom Hawkman and Green Arrow

In JLA 2. The Red Tornado Origin
LineUp: The Original Seven + Atom Ollie Hawkman and Hawkwoman Zatanna Elongatedman and Black Canary
Villain: Amazo

and JLA 3 CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS
Line Up: The Original Seven + Atom Ollie Hawkman and Hawkwoman Zatanna Elongatedman Black Canary Red Tornado and Firestorm
Guest stars: Spectre Harbinger Monitor Pariah and the heroes of Multiverse
Villains: Antimonitor and Pasicopirata

Old February 26th, 2007   Blue Jay is offline   #31
Blue Jay

It seems everyone here thinks you have to explain all the characters and origins for people to enjoy the film.

I went to see the first X-Men movie with a friend that had never heard of the comic or characters before. She is NOT a comic reader. She liked the movie a lot and has seen both sequels. The story was good enough for the NON-true believer to follow the plot and enjoy the characters. She may have enjoyed it more than me because I knew the characters and knew when the writers/director were playing with continuity or powers.

Also, how can we all say we couldn't see others playing Batman and Superman? We've gotten used to everyone that has taken on the roles before. At least five different Bruces in the last three+ decades in the movies and TV. At least five different men playing Clark on TV and in film in the last three decades. If they cast someone else for a Justice League movie I will adapt as easily as I have in the past.

"Don't ask, don't tell"...U.S. Military Policy
Old February 26th, 2007   Fletcher Hawke is offline   #32
Fletcher Hawke
Rum and Arrows Horseman

If this were to really happen, about the best thing they could do would be to adapt Justice. Forget origins. Ignore the individual franchises. Just go with it.