The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old March 27th, 2016   Elias is offline   #257
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Who Would Win in a Fight, Batman or Superman?
Celebs and General Zod Weigh In
Michael Shannon
I’m so utterly unconcerned with the outcome of that fight. So profoundly, utterly unconcerned. I can’t even come up with a fake answer. I guess I have to root for Superman because he killed me, so I would hope that he would continue his killing spree and become like a serial killer Superman. That’s a new take on Superman. We’d all be in a heap of trouble if Superman was a serial killer. He could just wipe us all out. But then he’d be lonely.

Isn’t he already lonely?
Well, we’re all lonely.
ddf
BMD:
10 Questions BATMAN V SUPERMAN Left Me Asking
Help me understand this movie.

Peter Bart: No ‘Deadpool’ Frivolity Here; Warner Bros Hopes Retro ‘Batman V Superman’ Becomes Growth Engine
The key incentive was always products, not movies.

Old March 28th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #258
Amentep

SPOILERS AHOY:

Overall, I was entertained by the film. There is a lot to like in the film (and in general there is a lot in the film). As to be expected, I suppose, of an introductory mash-up of characters. We get a lot of play on the fears of today (if MAN OF STEEL was a realization of 911 fears, then BvS is a reflection to the kind of post-911 reactions regarding blame and security).

Batman - who on his worst traits can be seen as paranoid - has that trait played up in this film; he reacts to try and prevent tragedy (this time a repeat of the destruction for MoS). Lois still the crusading reporter puts herself on the line. Superman sees a problem and wants to help - he can't waste the powers he has. This sets up all three (and many others) to being able to be manipulated by Lex Luthor.

Lex sees Superman as the ultimate father figure; but Lex's father wasn't a benevolent authority figure and so Lex fears the eventual abuse of everyone at the hands of a cruel, abusive Superman. And so he pursues an agenda to manipulate all the players to kill Superman - a goal he'll pursue if he has to destroy everything to achieve it.

Our main players ends up with a character playing their conscious (Alfred for Batman, Martha Kent for Superman, and Sen. June Finch for Lex). They all offer advice as they see bits of the puzzle and sense what is coming, but in a Greek Tragedy-ish way each main player remains dead-set on their path to the title fight. The fight itself is straight out of Comic Book Superheroes 101 - Superheroes have a misunderstanding, fight, eventually realize their misunderstanding and put aside their difference to face the real adversary.

Besides all of this over-plot there's several sub-plots going. And it is here the film gets somewhat messy; Perry White fights with Clark to remind us that the Daily Planet exists but serves no real point in the movie; Gal Godot's Diana Prince is trying to find a photo, and ties tangentially into Batman's plot until she transitions to Wonder Woman guise, but the story never explains why she decided to take Bruce's device when she's looking for a physical photo (she can't be looking for the scan (or only the scan) in his database and she never appears to get her goal despite deciding to leave Metropolis). We even get a Batman villain in the film (Anatoli Knyazev aka the KGBeast from the storyline "Ten Nights of the Beast") Most of it makes sense enough to hang together in the film, some of it though (the many, many dream sequences; why Luthor switches to the scorched earth policy) don't always make sense.

Affleck is fine as a Bruce Wayne driven further into his obsessions; Cavill plays his Clark Kent as still uncomfortable with bearing the weight of the world. Adam's Lois actually gets to be an active part of the plot and even though she ends up getting into danger (and thus needs saving) it doesn't feel as if she exists just for Superman to save. Godot's Prince seems to be the only character who actually is enjoying themselves (she seems to have fun bantering with Wayne at a party, and later seems to be enjoying a worthy fight). Eisenberg's Luthor appears to be on the edge of a nervous breakdown and highly in need of years of therapy and perhaps a nice vacation.

Snyder still has a sense of visual flair but seems to rely on a lot of the same things we'd seen in previous films. Also a lot of his problems from previous films carry over. There are several sequences I felt could have been paired down to be tighter (including the title fight which after a certain point I felt belabored the point; compare that to the fight with Doomsday which went on just about as long as it needed to to work as an exciting action sequence without feeling like the movie had lost all momentum). And I'd argue that tonally these films are going to become tedious if they continue to narrow the human experience to one without a sense of humor and Snyder in particular seems to have an errant need to try and shock the audience without really understanding whether the story needs the audience to be shocked at that point. And honestly the Dream Sequences feel like they hammer home things that would have been better addressed in real-time conversations rather than cryptic images of Blood and Thunder. The big egregious editing issue for me, though, is the order of the end sequence which frames Batman visiting Luthor in his cell by two different sequences of Bruce Wayne at Clark's funeral which seemed to be an unnecessary break in narrative time (Batman and Luthor could have easily happened prior to any of the funeral sequences to still allow for the end tease).

All that said, I think the film works overall and makes a solid follow-up to Man of Steel; it certainly isn't perfect (but neither was MoS0 but it does what it sets out to do and hangs together fine while doing it.

Old March 28th, 2016   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #259
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

I really loved the film and I'm wondering just what the heck has caused the massive critical backlash.

It was (to me) better than Man of Steel, Age of Ultron, or Dark Knight Rises. Not my favorite superhero movie - but pretty damn good and I'd argue the second half is about as good as superhero movies get.

Likewise, a lot of backlash against Eisenberg as Luthor. I'm wondering if I was watching a different movie, since he was a highlight to me.

And I saw it with my girlfriend, who's never read a comic and hadn't even seen Man of Steel. She loved it even more than me.

Old March 28th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #260
Amentep

I think there's a lot of unfair criticism against Eisenberg. His Luthor isn't Classic Luthor and not President Luthor. He actually reminds me the most of young clone Lex Luthor, but he's not exactly that either.

And I think the film does improve on a number of flaws that MoS has, so in that sense its "better".

As to why people hate it...well I think there are a lot of people who were primed to hate it and even had the movie been the metaphorical second coming of Citizen Kane (which it isn't) would have been panned.

Old April 1st, 2016   Elias is offline   #261
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Empire Podcast: Batman v Superman Spoiler Special with Zack Snyder