The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 19th, 2014   Alan is offline   #1
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Default DC cancels SEVEN books

Bleeding Cool have noted already that All Star Western, Batwing and Birds of Prey have been cancelled, but actually the death toll this month is a mighty seven books according to the August solicits.

As well as those three, Worlds Finest gets the chop as PG and Huntress make it back to Earth 2 and appear in that book as well. Also Superboy, Phantom Stranger and Pandora are put out of their misery.

I seem to recall some of those books having a September issue in the Five Years later thing, so I don't know what's happening there.

Old May 19th, 2014   Alan is offline   #2
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Oh, it's six. Apparently Worlds Finest was a mistake and is not cancelled.

I wonder what happened there. Paul Levitz must have just had kittens.

Old May 19th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #3
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

That's a big winnowing.

Old May 19th, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #4
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Hopefully they'll replace them with titles that are more successful. I hate to see All-Star Western go, but I dropped it when the Gotham thing see was never going to end.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 19th, 2014   Alan is offline   #5
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Come to think of it the Earth 2 weekly is starting in October (?) so that is four books right there. They just need to replace two I think.

If there is an Earth 2 weekly do we need Worlds Finest as well, especially as they are now back on their mother planet according to the solicits?

Old May 19th, 2014   Werehunter is offline   #6
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

I actually think I'm about done with Earth 2. Really don't want yet another book about Batman and Superman, which it is quickly turning into.

Old May 19th, 2014   mego joe is offline   #7
mego joe
Geoffan

I actually think I'm about done with Earth 2. Really don't want yet another book about Batman and Superman, which it is quickly turning into.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
I think after this arc it will head back to the other group of characters. I think...

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old May 20th, 2014   WonderGirlReturns is offline   #8
WonderGirlReturns

Hopefully they'll replace them with titles that are more successful. I hate to see All-Star Western go, but I dropped it when the Gotham thing see was never going to end.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Ugh, I know. I loved the Pre-Nu52 Jonah Hex book, which was mostly done-in-one issues in a style completely distinct from the main DC Universe.

As soon as the All-Star Western series started it was tied to the main universe. I understand that was probably done to boost sales (the Jonah Hex title was never a big seller) by connecting it to Batman and the Court of Owls and stuff, but it lost its unique flavor.

Old May 20th, 2014   starks is offline   #9
starks
Geoffan

ddf
Werehunter View Post
I'm giving it an issue. Tired of the mass killings.

Old May 20th, 2014   starks is offline   #10
starks
Geoffan

I was trying out Superboy, but it didn't seem to have a focus. Switching writers from issue to issue didn't help either.

Already dropped Pandora. Forever Blight destroyed the purpose of the character, so there wasn't really a point for having a title.

It's weird how DC did all of this promotion for the character, then completely destroyed her.

Of all of these cancellations, I'm really bummed out about Phantom Stranger. Would be great if this cancellation was just a plan to rename it back to Phantom Stranger (take the Trinity of Sin tag off) & start it over again with a new #1 issue. It has been my favorite comic each month and I'll miss it.

Old May 20th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

I didn't mind Hex in Gotham, but they lost me with Hex in present day DCU (I wasn't a big fan of the post-apocalypse Hex in the future either; really prefer him in the west.).

Old May 20th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #12
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

All this talk of Hex makes me not regret going past issue 7 (?) of All-Star Western. Read the whole pre-Nu52 Jonah Hex. I like that Hex.

Old May 20th, 2014   WonderGirlReturns is offline   #13
WonderGirlReturns

I didn't mind Hex in Gotham, but they lost me with Hex in present day DCU (I wasn't a big fan of the post-apocalypse Hex in the future either; really prefer him in the west.).
ddf
Amentep View Post
You prefer a western character's stories taking place in the Old West? I am shocked!

In all seriousness, putting Hex in modern day stories might have been fun before, but that doesn't mean DC has to do it every few years -- and especially for so many issues! Hex was in the future from #21-29, and is still in "fixed face" form back in the past now so we haven't seen "classic Hex" in almost an entire year.

Old May 20th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #14
Amentep

I know its a contrary opinion, but yeah old west characters work best for me in the old west. That's just how I roll.

Old May 20th, 2014   Greg Waite is offline   #15
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

After Forever Evil ends and Nightwing ends, I was planning on cutting my last 2 DC books.

Thanks to DC for cancelling Batwing, I have no issues cutting Batman out of my life.

I can no longer care for DC.

I gave them a fair shake but no more.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old May 20th, 2014   mmk123 is offline   #16
mmk123
Geoffan

out of all the books cancelled, the only one I was buying was Birds of Prey. I do hope that this means that Black Canary is not going into limbo. It seems that when a book is cancelled in the Nu52 universe, we seldom see the characters again (where have Hawk and Dove and the 20th century Legionnaire's been?) . I would love to see a solo Black Canary book written by Gail Simone. Like Batgirl, Gail seems to truly understand the character of Black Canary and to see her being given a shot at a solo title would be great.

I do have to admit, DC has been boring me lately. I do enjoy the books I buy but this is the first time I am not buying their major event book. I just have no desire to read Future's End. I might even skip the September Five Year's Ahead month and save myself a lot of money. For the first time in my 3 decades of buying comics, I am actually buy an equal amount of Marvel books to DC books.