The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old March 26th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Question Flash writers discuss the nu52 Wally West

From Newsarama: New FLASH Writers: WALLY WEST Changes 'Not Surprise For the Sake of Surprise'

Old March 26th, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #2
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

When I saw this quote from Venditti..."For me, much like a lot of the characters that I've worked on in comics, I didn't grow up reading comics. I think this is another part of the problem. Writers who didn't read them as kids can't quite grasp what a fan really needs, because let's be honest, when we all read comics today, we want to be as excited about them now as when we were little. Having someone write it that doesn't understand that feeling or never had it? I don't hold too much hope for it.

I have had a rebirth.
Old March 26th, 2014   Scott Mateo is offline   #3
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Venditti: For me, much like a lot of the characters that I've worked on in comics, I didn't grow up reading comics. I don't have a deep background reading them when I was younger, or anything like that. So my knowledge of Flash would be what people would know through general, sort of pop culture immersion, whether it's the Justice League cartoons or the TV show they had back when I was younger.

Jensen: I read more comics than Rob did, growing up, but never read The Flash just because it wasn't really available where I bought comics.
ddf
And that my friends is everything that is wrong with DC Comics.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old March 26th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #4
Amentep

Hmmm, how many Flash Comics had Gardner Fox and Harry Lampert read when they were kids?

I'm not sure being a fan of a character is a pre-requisite for being able to write a character well.

Old March 26th, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #5
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I think it's a case-by-case type of thing.

Some fanboys-turned-writer crank out what could be considered little more than sanctioned fanfic. Others' reverence for the characters enhances their stories.

Sometimes writers with personal distance from the characters bring new approaches that make for stories that are unique and highlight previously undiscovered depths to the characters. Some come in and are so clueless about what makes the characters work that it's a disaster.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old March 26th, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #6
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

Hmmm, how many Flash Comics had Gardner Fox and Harry Lampert read when they were kids?

I'm not sure being a fan of a character is a pre-requisite for being able to write a character well.
ddf
Amentep View Post
However, he said he never read comics as a kid, let alone Flash, so he doesn't have the mentality of what a fan might be looking for.

I have had a rebirth.
Old March 26th, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #7
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

Some fanboys-turned-writer crank out what could be considered little more than sanctioned fanfic. Others' reverence for the characters enhances their stories.

Sometimes writers with personal distance from the characters bring new approaches that make for stories that are unique and highlight previously undiscovered depths to the characters. Some come in and are so clueless about what makes the characters work that it's a disaster.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
And this is a good response too. However, I think those that have read comics have a better understanding and love for them than those that have not read them.

I have had a rebirth.
Old March 26th, 2014   Alan is offline   #8
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Exactly. It would easy to argue that it's the total takeover of the fan that has taken the real writer out of comics and lessened the quality of the material.

If someone can write well and do their research it shouldn't matter. How many people have actually read every Flash story ever written anyway? Judge them on how good the comic is going forward.

Old March 26th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

However, he said he never read comics as a kid, let alone Flash, so he doesn't have the mentality of what a fan might be looking for.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
I seriously doubt most of the early comics pioneers had read comics as we know it (a few of the youngest coming in at the tale end of the Golden Age did. H.G. Peter? Doubt it - if he had it was newspaper stripts).

Its a bit like saying that the only good writer is one who grew up with Doctor Who - except the people who made the Doctor Who stuff that launched the series wouldn't have watched any Dr. Who)

Exactly. It would easy to argue that it's the total takeover of the fan that has taken the real writer out of comics and lessened the quality of the material.

If someone can write well and do their research it shouldn't matter. How many people have actually read every Flash story ever written anyway? Judge them on how good the comic is going forward.
ddf
Alan View Post
I think that's the thing to me, its more about the ability to write and not the ability to fan.

Old March 26th, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #10
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

ddf
Alan View Post
And I would argue that a person that has read more Flash stories than the person that hasn't has a better understanding of the character and can write a better product than the guy who didn't read the comics and only watched an cartoon and a TV show.

I have had a rebirth.
Old March 26th, 2014   mego joe is offline   #11
mego joe
Geoffan

I seriously doubt most of the early comics pioneers had read comics as we know it (a few of the youngest coming in at the tale end of the Golden Age did. H.G. Peter? Doubt it - if he had it was newspaper stripts).

Its a bit like saying that the only good writer is one who grew up with Doctor Who - except the people who made the Doctor Who stuff that launched the series wouldn't have watched any Dr. Who)

I think that's the thing to me, its more about the ability to write and not the ability to fan.
ddf
Amentep View Post
But those classic strip guys are the best- Caniff, Raymond, Foster? 'Nuff said.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 26th, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #12
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

Hmmm, how many Flash Comics had Gardner Fox and Harry Lampert read when they were kids?I'm not sure being a fan of a character is a pre-requisite for being able to write a character well.
ddf
Amentep View Post
What kind of argument is this? They created the Flash, how are the supposed to read it beforehand? And I'm sure that a fan of said character that has read a lot of the character makes for a better storyteller than the one that hasn't.

Mr. Kroc, you haven't made a Big Mac before. Are you sure you know what the hell you're doing?

I have had a rebirth.
Old March 26th, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #13
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

And as far as Venditti is concerned, from what I have read regarding the reaction of his Demon Knights...it was less than stellar.

I have had a rebirth.
Old March 26th, 2014   Alan is offline   #14
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

His GL isn't great either. It wasn't the assignment I was hoping for honestly, and quite frankly I would rather have someone who DID love Flash as a kid. But it can be awful or good either way. You get enough writers on Newserama telling us how this new job is their 'dream gig' as they have grown up with the character and then they rip the whole history of the character out, kill off his girlfriend and then run off to Marvel leaving a huge gap where a legacy used to be.

It's all a crap shoot.

Old March 27th, 2014   SamIAm is offline   #15
SamIAm
Geoffan

None of Venditti's DC work has been all that great in my opinion. Just felt kind of flat to me for whatever reason. But his X-O Manowar for Valiant has been consistently good since it started.

As for the return of Wally, I feel weird about it because I really feel indifferent about his return at this point, Purely because at this point I know it won't be the Wally that I enjoyed for years. But I'll still read it because I am a fan of the Flash and the current series hasn't been all bad.
Last edited by SamIAm; March 27th, 2014 at 01:10 AM.

Old March 27th, 2014   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #16
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

On the topic of Vendetti, I think that it's a bit rough to have someone who has no real experience write the character. I've read every Wally Flash story, and a fair number of Barry comics (I'd say roughly half his run), so I don't think it's too much to ask for someone in this day and age to have some familiarity.

However, at the same time, this is meant to be a clean slate. For that sake, I think that having little experience is a good thing.

I've gone back and forth on the idea of a new Wally, but ultimately he is what the New 52 was meant to be originally: a totally fresh start. I know other people have grown up with the various flashes, but I'm 24 and read Wally already grown up. The Wally I grew up with was not the original Wally: original Wally was a norman rockwell kid, while "my" Wally was a troubled kid who came from a troubled home and found a way to literally outrun his problems as Kid Flash. He's already been re-invented once, so I don't see a problem re-inventing him again. And this time, I get to see him grown from the start. That's an exciting prospect.

I also strongly believe the "future flash" is actually a grown up Wally, which would be funny because i originally thought the Reverse Flash was Wally grown up, so it would be a bit ironic to me if that's the case, make the story about Barry trying to avert the future where this troubled kid (assuming Wally is spray-painting a wall) doesn't become a major problem for him and the time stream.

Once again, it would seem, Wally may embody the spirit of what DC should be, rather than what it is. I don't think he will actually be all that different, in spirit. Maybe not physically, or emotionally, but I only need that troubled kid who loves the Flash and gets a chance to outrun his problems.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!