The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old June 28th, 2013   BART ALLEN is offline   #1
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Default how does your local store handle varient covers

As a retailer I am sick of varient covers. I have never marked them up but I am considering it because lately I have had people complain about never seeing them. So what is a good formula if it is on in twenty going ten bucks

The other half of this idea is donating any mark up to a comics related charity. Because that we make feel less sleezy about markimg them up

So what does your local store do

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old June 28th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #2
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

one mostly sells them for cover and the other jacks the price way up and sells on ebay or to you if you are dumb enough to pay the price...ok a very few times i was....

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old June 28th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

Depends; some only get them for subscribers (as near as I can tell). Others mark it up to the cost of getting the variant. Others just put a random high price on them. Some sell them for cover.

Old June 28th, 2013   Alan is offline   #4
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

When I go into FP in London they have a huge display of variants behind the tills at the front of the shop with variants on sale for between £10 and £100 on the whole. That Spider-Man one was about £600. God knows who buys them though.

Old June 28th, 2013   Green Guardsman is offline   #5
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

My LCS keeps them behind the counter. I have never felt the need to buy a variant cover, so far anyway.

Old June 28th, 2013   starks is offline   #6
starks
Geoffan

Mine puts it on the shelf (bagged/boarded) and marks it up.

Old June 28th, 2013   SmilingKnight is offline   #7
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

My store doesn't charge any different. With the Image ghost variants they give them to good customers

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old June 29th, 2013   Sentinel119 is offline   #8
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

Outside the big two I can snag them for cover price. Marvel can range from $4.99 up to $49.99. DC is $7.99 for most variants but can reach up to $49.99.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old June 29th, 2013   E2Brutus is offline   #9
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

At my LCS they are priced by the ratio--a 1:10 cover is $10, a 1:25 cover is $25, etc. It's arbitrary, but if someone is willing to shell out the cash for it, more power to 'em.

The only variants I bother with are 50/50 ones, and I just pick the art I like better. I don't have a need for wraparound lenticular sketch covers.

Old June 29th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #10
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

As a retailer I am sick of varient covers. I have never marked them up but I am considering it because lately I have had people complain about never seeing them. So what is a good formula if it is on in twenty going ten bucks

The other half of this idea is donating any mark up to a comics related charity. Because that we make feel less sleezy about markimg them up

So what does your local store do
ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
I could care less about "rare" variant covers, but I like Dynamite's equal printing of variants just to give me some choice.

By the way, I am lucky enough to have Bart's store as my LCS. With no hyperbole whatsoever, it is the best comic book store I have ever set foot in. Back issues at VERY, VERY reasonable prices, the largest selection of indie/non-Big 2 back issues I've ever seen, even in much larger stores, and the friendliest, most customer-friendly atmosphere imaginable. It's been a staple of our modest-sized college town since 1978. I really can't even heap an appropriate amount of praise on Nostalgia Newsstand. If I ever have to move away from here, I will miss that store tremendously.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 29th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #11
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I hate variants and their supposed "value". I understand why retailers mark them up.

Profit margins on comics are very slim. So I understand why publishers do variants. One of them is to reward comic retailers. Yes, the other is to sell tons of comics to willing customers.

I don't buy variants. If there is a 50/50 split, I go for the one I like best.

My old (defunct) lcs had them along the wall throughout the shop. I find it hard to justify their increased value since the "hard-to-find" variants have been sitting on the wall for years, some for many years.

My inner Thor once asked me, "Mayhap time for a sale, mortal?" He asks good questions. I tend to agree with him.

Old store gave good customers first crack at variants, and they were given a good price, some cover price depending if they were great customers.

New store: I have no clue. I never ask since I read comics and don't collect.

Old June 30th, 2013   thunderdude is offline   #12
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

Mine keeps them in a box on the counter in front of the store. At least the ones that are worth something. Some Dynamite comics have a ton of covers for one issue.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old June 30th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #13
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Mine keeps them in a box on the counter in front of the store. At least the ones that are worth something. Some Dynamite comics have a ton of covers for one issue.
ddf
thunderdude View Post
Old lcs had put variants in two short boxes for a long while. It didn't help sales. So they went back up along the wall (just out of hand reach).

I think displaying them does a better job of catching a (potential) buyer's eyes.

Old July 1st, 2013   therealssjlink is offline   #14
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

I used to pay quite a premium for some covers...that is until the companies themselves started publishing books not long after with just the covers in them. Why pay more for the covers when you can get a higher quality book that has more in them?

I basically accept that I won't make any return on the money I spent on any singles for MSRP or higher but I enjoyed it at the time that I purchased them so no big deal, I guess.

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old July 5th, 2013   Danny Perkins is offline   #15
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

My current shop keeps them and marks them up as one would expect.

My old shop did what I would do if I owned a shop.

He gave them to the people who had the book on their pull list for the longest amount of time. In the event it was a tie then it went to the longest customer. Only if they wanted them of course.

It was a good way to reward long time customers. I got a ton of variants back in the day since I was a charter customer. I didn't pay attention to that type of thing so I actually ahve some variants that I don't even know are variants.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old July 6th, 2013   stumpjs is offline   #16
stumpjs
Profound Rambler

I never really cared about variant covers until I saw Valiants 8 bit covers, which I loved.
My LCS doesn't carry them, I went to a different shop that had them. The owner of this shop loved the 8 bit covers as well, and said he had to get them. His shop has only been open for a few months, whereas my usual LCS has been doing it for decades and doesnt get variants because her usual customers don't usually go in for variants.

"Laissez le bon temps rouler!" ~Gambit