The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old March 4th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Arrow Green Lantern issue #18 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

ē The epic, universe-shattering ďWRATH OF THE FIRST LANTERNĒ continues!

ē Donít miss the shocking fates of Hal Jordan and Sinestro!

ē And the First Lantern continues his cosmic life experiments, but with a great cost to the Corps.

Story by
Geoff Johns
Art by
Szymon Kudranski, Ardian Syaf, Mark Irwin
Colors by
Alex Sinclair, Tony Avina
Letters by
Dave Sharpe
Cover by
Gary Frank, Alex Sinclair
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, March 6th, 2013
ddf

Old March 5th, 2013   c-man is offline   #2
c-man
Neo Geoffan

Wow, that artwork is gorgeous.

Old March 6th, 2013   therealssjlink is offline   #3
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

So...I haven't read GL in a long while but that preview made me think I was reading a Bendis book O.o

What happened?

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old March 7th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Is it me or does Hal on the opening page kind of look like Geoff?

Old March 7th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #5
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Is it me or does Hal on the opening page kind of look like Geoff?
ddf
jafabian View Post
Geoff JohnsÖ Is Hal Jordan?

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old March 7th, 2013   Alan is offline   #6
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

That was a VERY good issue. But yes, Hal certainly looked a ...little familiar!

He's going out with a bang anyway.

Old March 7th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #7
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I've been thinking of something happens to Volthoom and the Dead Zone ceases to be what happens to everyone there? Do they return to life? That would be interesting.

And on the last couple pages, why is Hal the one who has to use the black power ring? Why can't Tomar use it?

Old March 7th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #8
Dr_Decipher

This issue did absolutely nothing for me. The whole series is just constantly grasping for straws now. Beating a long-dead horse.

At least the Animated Series is interesting, but they've already canceled that, so bleh.

Old March 8th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #9
jafabian
Iím not dead.

This issue did absolutely nothing for me. The whole series is just constantly grasping for straws now. Beating a long-dead horse.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post

So why did you buy it then?

Old March 8th, 2013   married guy is offline   #10
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Well, 4 issues into the Last Lantern story, and I'm completely underwhelmed.

They all read the same, and the story barely moved forward at all.
What's the Last Lantern's motivations?
Why was he imprisoned by the Guardians?
How does his power actually work?

There's either going to be a big ole info dump soon, or we're going to be left with a lot of unanswered questions...

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old March 8th, 2013   thbriboy is offline   #11
thbriboy

Well, 4 issues into the Last Lantern story, and I'm completely underwhelmed.

They all read the same, and the story barely moved forward at all.
What's the Last Lantern's motivations?
Why was he imprisoned by the Guardians?
How does his power actually work?

There's either going to be a big ole info dump soon, or we're going to be left with a lot of unanswered questions...
ddf
married guy View Post
I disagree. I HAVE been underwhelmed with some frequency ever since the New 52 reboot, but this story arc feels to me like Geoff is (finally) pouring his heart and soul back into GL, if only for his swan song. We got a taste of it with his GL Annual, but ever since Blackest Night I've felt that the guy has simply been too busy for his own good. JL, JLA, Aquaman, GL (plus Flash of old)... Add those to his TV and movie projects, and you've got some pretty thinly-spread Geoff.

IMO, his best work on GL has been when he clearly showed a need to prove something to everyone. In Rebirth it was the value of Hal Jordan, in Sinestro Corps and Blackest Night it was the Corps' place at the table of Big Event Headliners, and even with War of the GLs it felt like he was trying to prove that the characters are more substantial than their power rings.

Rise of the Third Army did absolutely nothing for me besides set up the current arc, but it's become immediately apparent that Geoff has placed this last storyline high on his list of priorities. There are no throwaway lines or panels, and he's delivering cosmic stuff side by side with character moments that have been too few.

My response to the above comment would be that considering Geoff's usual storytelling framework, wherein we get one or two issues of vague foreshadowing followed by a few issues of villain identification and threat realization before one last issue where it all comes to a head, this story is refreshingly fast-paced from the start. Perhaps it's because he has a lot of story to tell. All the cosmic stuff given in the first chapter (the hand, the great heart, etc.) will come around soon enough, but for now I'm glad he delivered on his promise to make Volthoom a character-attacking villain, rather than a generic universal threat defeated by Our Powers Combined or somesuch. The deconstruction and assault on these characters' pasts has been a story long in waiting, and this seems the perfect vessel with which to explore.

My bottom line is that the Third Army story caused me to finally ponder whether it was time for Geoff to step away, and so far the Wrath story is causing me to wonder if perhaps Geoff still has some good stuff in the tank after all. Here's hoping he delivers all the goods... And brings Hal back to the Justice League (and not as the jerk)!

If anyone needs me, I'll be hangin' out BEYOND PHOBOS!
Old March 8th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #12
Dr_Decipher

So why did you buy it then?
ddf
jafabian View Post
Because it's rude to stand there in a comic shop and just read the comics without buying them. Also, I do keep hoping that things might get better. In all fairness, though, I did enjoy the previous issue...

Old March 8th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #13
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Because it's rude to stand there in a comic shop and just read the comics without buying them. Also, I do keep hoping that things might get better. In all fairness, though, I did enjoy the previous issue...
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post

Thank you. Just a bit more contstructive than your last post and better for discussion. Even though you might not have liked it, and it's okay not to like a book, others might have enjoyed it. Just something to be aware of.