The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old June 18th, 2015   Greg Waite is offline   #1
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

Default Reading Tastes (my 6,000th post)

I've been reading comics for awhile (mostly super-heroes) and I still enjoy them but lately, my tastes have been dwindling down.

I gave DC a fair shot at the New 52 and so when I dropped all things DC, I didn't and still don't feel bad I'm missing out on anything.

That left me with Marvel and Image (I get 1 Boom! series: Sons of Anarchy).

Image has been really impressing me alot lately with their new series and from my buddy's recommendations but they still aren't my top comic book company.

Marvel, has been my absolute favorite since I started reading comic books. I used to get plenty of their series (at one point, I was reading pretty much every X book there was. Even after Morrison revamped them and left, I still stayed reading the various X books).

What I'm trying to say is my reading tastes have changed.

I still like heroes but lately, my reading tastes have evolved. I want new things to read.

Maybe it's because I'm older now and I'm not close to being done reading comics but I do think it's time for new comic books to read.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old June 18th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #2
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

May I suggest, in addition to finding new things to read that are outside the traditional boundaries of comics you look at back issues. I know people mock the 80's and 90's because of the big 2 (and Image), but there were dozens of publishers out there, putting out some pretty daring stuff that was better than they were often given credit for. Things like Elementals, Mage, Concrete, Zot!, The Badger, Nexus, Captain Canuck, Dreadstar, Boris the Bear, Elfquest and so many others. Some were superhero-ish but even they were less conventional than you'd think. Yes, there was some less than stellar work out there but indies really came into their own during that period.

IMO.

P.S. 6000 posts? How charming.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 18th, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #3
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

May I suggest, in addition to finding new things to read that are outside the traditional boundaries of comics you look at back issues. I know people mock the 80's and 90's because of the big 2 (and Image), but there were dozens of publishers out there, putting out some pretty daring stuff that was better than they were often given credit for. Things like Elementals, Mage, Concrete, Zot!, The Badger, Nexus, Captain Canuck, Dreadstar, Boris the Bear, Elfquest and so many others. Some were superhero-ish but even they were less conventional than you'd think. Yes, there was some less than stellar work out there but indies really came into their own during that period.

IMO.

P.S. 6000 posts? How charming.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Yeah, there was a lot of good indie stuff that was either hard to find in the '80s, or buried under the avalanche of crap in the '90s.

I really think that the best thing that could happen to comics would be the disassociation of superheroes from the medium. 99% of everybody thinks the medium is made up entirely of one genre. I know plenty of people who love crime fiction, sword & sorcery, scifi, westerns, etc., but they don't even think to investigate the possibility that the medium of comic books might actually present great stories from their favorite genres.

But then you'd have to convince them to pay 4 or 5 bucks a pop for 5-10 minutes worth of reading, which is an understandably hard sell when they can buy entire novels for 6-8 bucks a pop.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 18th, 2015   ronaldj is offline   #4
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

my comic reading has not lessened, but far more independents....but my post are fading away hopefully I am not.

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old June 19th, 2015   Trevor is offline   #5
Trevor
Geoffan

Yeah, there was a lot of good indie stuff that was either hard to find in the '80s, or buried under the avalanche of crap in the '90s.

I really think that the best thing that could happen to comics would be the disassociation of superheroes from the medium. 99% of everybody thinks the medium is made up entirely of one genre. I know plenty of people who love crime fiction, sword & sorcery, scifi, westerns, etc., but they don't even think to investigate the possibility that the medium of comic books might actually present great stories from their favorite genres.

But then you'd have to convince them to pay 4 or 5 bucks a pop for 5-10 minutes worth of reading, which is an understandably hard sell when they can buy entire novels for 6-8 bucks a pop.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
There always has been, and I imagine always will be, a TON of quality stuff available outside of Marvel and DC, in both the superhero and every other genre. You just have to be willing to look for it.

And I agree that $4 an issue is way too much. My maximum price per issue will always be $1.

Old June 19th, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #6
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

There always has been, and I imagine always will be, a TON of quality stuff available outside of Marvel and DC, in both the superhero and every other genre. You just have to be willing to look for it.

And I agree that $4 an issue is way too much. My maximum price per issue will always be $1.
ddf
Trevor View Post
I'm guessing you must be a digital reader. I'll pay 3 or 4 bucks for creator-owned or even indie-owned comics, but $3 is the absolute most I will give Marvel or DC for a regular-sized comic. I guess I cut Vertigo some slack, because I am paying $3.99 for Astro City, but, as much as I enjoy it, I'm on the fence about dropping it. I'm trying to make as many cuts to my comic-buying as I can, and hard choices must be made, unfortunately.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 19th, 2015   Trevor is offline   #7
Trevor
Geoffan

I'm guessing you must be a digital reader. I'll pay 3 or 4 bucks for creator-owned or even indie-owned comics, but $3 is the absolute most I will give Marvel or DC for a regular-sized comic. I guess I cut Vertigo some slack, because I am paying $3.99 for Astro City, but, as much as I enjoy it, I'm on the fence about dropping it. I'm trying to make as many cuts to my comic-buying as I can, and hard choices must be made, unfortunately.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I'm partially digital, but mainly physical copies.

I just wait a few months and buy those same $4 books for $1 or less out of the bargain bins.

Old July 5th, 2015   married guy is offline   #8
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

I'm down to reading the Flash, Aquaman, Secret Six and Section Eight on a monthly basis.

I collect Walking Dead in trades, but more & more I am hitting the local library and reading a pile of trades from everyone, including Image, Marvel, DC and Dark Horse.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old July 6th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

I think it was the 80s that really got me to realize there was a comic world outside of superheroes. I've always read a mix of superheroes and non-superhero stuff.

I think that's why I never had that "get out of comics" moment a lot of people have. When I ditched Superheroes for awhile there were non-superhero books I was reading that kept me in comics.