The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 2nd, 2014   HushedRuin is offline   #49
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

This may not be Wally West: Kid Flash, but rather Wally West: Impulse. I have no idea what DC is thinking.
ddf
Sp33df0rc3 View Post
Is there anything inherently wrong with Wally becoming Impulse?

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old June 2nd, 2014   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #50
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Is there anything inherently wrong with Wally becoming Impulse?
ddf
HushedRuin View Post
Not at all. I'm just surprised by the development. I didn't mean "this is stupid! What are they thinking??" but "I have no idea what they're thinking, they could literally go anywhere with this".

I actually think that if Wally does become Impulse, it will help a lot of people see this as a new character rather than just WINO. It's A wally west, not THE NEW Wally West. Because this wouldn't be Wally as Kid Flash.

Plus, if Wally is going to be introduced in The Flash TV Show, then I can see them wanting to have his codename be Impulse over Kid Flash: Kid ______ is a fun thing in comics, but I bet casuals would be more inclined to not make fun of a character if they have a stand-alone name like Robin or Speedy or Arsenal. And the CW seems big on one word names.

So, actually, I'm in favor of this wally being Impulse. Even though he looks like Cyborg.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old June 3rd, 2014   Amentep is offline   #51
Amentep

You'd figure that DC would use the reboot to rename him Speedy though (unless they already established Arsenal was Speedy). :P

Old June 6th, 2014   married guy is offline   #52
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

What I'm still trying to figure out is WHY call him Wally West?
DC KNOWS the Wally Flash has a huge often fanatical fan base.

Making such a radical change to a character who has been in publication in one form or another since 1960 was always going to **** some people off.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old June 6th, 2014   married guy is offline   #53
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Would DC Comics Give The Flash To Grant Morrison?

At this point he couldn't do any worse...?
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
I would LOVE to read a Grant Morrison Flash book!

His issues with Mark Millar started OK (The Suit was a fun read) but I've heard Millar did most of the writing through that run.

I thought his take on the character during his JLA run was great, and I figure a writer of his calibre wants a shot? Give it to him!

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old June 6th, 2014   JRM is offline   #54
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

What I'm still trying to figure out is WHY call him Wally West?
DC KNOWS the Wally Flash has a huge often fanatical fan base.

Making such a radical change to a character who has been in publication in one form or another since 1960 was always going to **** some people off.
ddf
married guy View Post
Valid point, best I can think is that either they wanted to lock in this version the best they could, or that this continuity has a built in lifespan and they wanted to us the character before it expires. Cynical me, thinks, or DannyD just wants to screw over one set of readers, once again. Less cyncial guess, is that creators threw out an idea and the editorial chain gave it the green light. Choose which fits best for you.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old June 6th, 2014   Penny Dreadful is offline   #55
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

Valid point, best I can think is that either they wanted to lock in this version the best they could, or that this continuity has a built in lifespan and they wanted to us the character before it expires. Cynical me, thinks, or DannyD just wants to screw over one set of readers, once again. Less cyncial guess, is that creators threw out an idea and the editorial chain gave it the green light. Choose which fits best for you.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Rumor has it that DD wanted Wally to be the new Reverse Flash, but Booch and Manapul said, "No way!" That's how we ended up with Daniel West, Iris' brother. So it could've been worse.

The race change doesn't bother me. As long as a character's personality and character are the same, it's fine. The Wests are African-American in the new Flash series, so it fits. But making Wally a stereotypical troubled, fatherless black kid? URK.

But this probably isn't an attempt to screw over readers, just more change for the sake of change. See also: Bar Tor, Tim Drake, Black Canary. And the race change came from editorial. FWIW, they also made Helena Bertinelli black.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old June 12th, 2014   J-Liv is offline   #56
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
The creative team has been pretty open that the race change was editorial mandate, and not their idea. They aren't neccesarily opposed to it, but it wasn't their original concept.

The general character personality and changed background, however, was apparently all them.