The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 21st, 2014   Call Me El is offline   #17
Call Me El
Geoffan

Worlds' Finest is listed as Final Issue in the August solicits.

I haven't been reading Earth 2 and I'm not sure if I want to start now - especially not if the weekly takes its place.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old May 21st, 2014   Alan is offline   #18
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

See above. It hadn't been cancelled after all.

Earth 2 has been one of the better books in fact, and the weekly is as well as the monthly. If you like good books then give it a go.

Old May 21st, 2014   starks is offline   #19
starks
Geoffan

I would love to see a solo Black Canary book written by Gail Simone. Like Batgirl, Gail seems to truly understand the character of Black Canary and to see her being given a shot at a solo title would be great.
ddf
mmk123 View Post
IDK, I actually would like to see someone else write Batgirl. Other than the issues with James Gordon Jr., the Batgirl title has been average.

Old May 21st, 2014   Scott Mateo is offline   #20
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Interesting analysis:

"DC couldn’t find an audience for these books. That may be because that audience couldn’t find these books, rather than because the audience isn’t there. DC’s monolithic house style and devotion to event-driven storytelling do not create an inviting environment for new or diverse readers. That would be fine if DC’s old familiar readers could support a 52-title line (or something close to 52 titles), but the rate of cancellations suggests this isn’t the case. DC’s core audience can’t support such a sprawling line, but DC’s editorial approach can’t reach a wider audience."

DC COMICS’ NEW 52 EDGES TOWARDS LANDMARK 52ND CANCELLATION [ANALYSIS]

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old May 21st, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #21
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Interesting analysis:

"DC couldnít find an audience for these books. That may be because that audience couldnít find these books, rather than because the audience isnít there. DCís monolithic house style and devotion to event-driven storytelling do not create an inviting environment for new or diverse readers. That would be fine if DCís old familiar readers could support a 52-title line (or something close to 52 titles), but the rate of cancellations suggests this isnít the case. DCís core audience canít support such a sprawling line, but DCís editorial approach canít reach a wider audience."

DC COMICSí NEW 52 EDGES TOWARDS LANDMARK 52ND CANCELLATION [ANALYSIS]
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
It seems like DC kind of pulled a LOSH with their whole line in terms of dividing their audience. I think they may have alienated too much of their core audience to make up for with whatever new/lapsed readers they brought in, long-term at least. I certainly can't say for sure. I do agree with the article in terms of the "monolithic house style". Not every title has fallen into that category, but a whole lot of them sure seemed to. I don't think DC has had such a rigid house-style since the early '80s or even earlier. Again, that's just from my perspective, so at this point it's based on reviews, preview pages, and word-of-mouth. I'm not currently reading any of the New 52-labeled titles, so I am far less qualified to really judge with a fully informed opinion at this point. But, from the outside looking in, there does seem to be an aesthetic sameness to many titles, and, as the article points out, that probably isn't helped by the seemingly never ending event cycle.

I hope they aren't too stubborn to make whatever adjustments they need to to bring their numbers back up. I'm not sure what they could do, though. They seem to be a little bit boxed in. They can't just go back to "classic" DC or even do another reboot so soon without losing readers that really enjoy the New 52, and one has to wonder if they could even recover very many of the post-New 52 lapsed-readers at this point if they tried. I'm really enjoying focusing more on non-superhero titles nowadays, so barring some kind of virtually impossible creator-coup that I just couldn't pass up, I can't think of anything that would cause me to drop the wide variety of titles I'm getting in exchange for more comics with characters and ideas I feel like I've read enough of...

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 24th, 2014   married guy is offline   #22
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

I started out enjoying Earth 2 quite a bit, and with an Aussie writer & artist I stuck around too. But I have to say I am OVER the current storyline!!! It's dragging along and I see in the latest solicitation that it's STILL unfinished!!!

This current plot can't end soon enough.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 24th, 2014   achilles140 is offline   #23
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

I actually think I'm about done with Earth 2. Really don't want yet another book about Batman and Superman, which it is quickly turning into.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
Oh...yeah...about that. Well, while Worlds' Finest hasn't been cancelled, it WILL undergo what Levitz calls a "format change". Which is to say it's no longer going to be about Power Girl and Huntress, who presumably will either no longer appear at all in the book, or in minor roles occasionally, but about the old adventures of Earth 2 Superman and Batman. So...you are getting another book about Batman and Superman, whether you want one or not.

PG and Hunts BTW are shunted off to the Worlds' End weekly---which likely itself will still be mostly a Batman/nuGoodSuperman book. No word on what PG and Hunts be doing, if anything, when that series ends, or where they'll be doing it.

Try my Blog!

Visit me on Facebook here!
Old May 24th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #24
jafabian
Iím not dead.

From CBR: Levitz Confirms "Earth 2: World's End" Exit, Announces "Worlds' Finest" Format Shift

Old May 24th, 2014   halqueen is offline   #25
halqueen

Early E2 Superman and Batman??? They should have just made it a teamup comic. Lots of fun combinations that can be done for the 1st time in the new 52. Flash/Atom, newish GL/GA, Superman/Flash, and others. Also new team ups-Firestorm/Black Lightning, Blue Devil/Constantine, etc. Connect all the stories (loosely) to the bigger story of Anti Monitor or Darkseid

Old May 24th, 2014   Haven is offline   #26
Haven
Decompressing

"They can't just go back to "classic" DC or even do another reboot so soon without losing readers that really enjoy the New 52"

Maybe not. However, since the Multiverse has been re-established, why not put out different lines with different eras/versions of the characters? Say, they keep the 10 best selling current titles under the 'New 52' banner and try 10 titles with versions from the Golden Age under a banner that says 'Golden' or something similar, 10 titles with versions from the Silver Age, 10 titles from the post Infinite Crisis era, 10 titles from the post original Crisis era and so on under appropriate banners/logos/what-ever so people can tell which version they are. Heck, start with limited run titles in each group and see which titles fans like. Do shorter storylines in each book and refrain from 'epic' crossovers and 'world changing' events every other month and see where it goes.

P.S. And NO more than ONE title per Character per reality! One Superman title, One Batman title ect. They can be in a Team book or make guest appearances in other books, but do ANY of them really need Multiple Titles just to tell their own personal adventures?
Last edited by Haven; May 24th, 2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: P.S.

Old May 24th, 2014   achilles140 is offline   #27
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Early E2 Superman and Batman??? They should have just made it a teamup comic. Lots of fun combinations that can be done for the 1st time in the new 52. Flash/Atom, newish GL/GA, Superman/Flash, and others. Also new team ups-Firestorm/Black Lightning, Blue Devil/Constantine, etc. Connect all the stories (loosely) to the bigger story of Anti Monitor or Darkseid
ddf
halqueen View Post
I get the impression that while it seems to be early E2 Superman, pre-evil; it's Hourman Bats, which leads me to believe it's not really going to be a team-up book, but rather a series of solo stories.

But maybe it was just the way he worded it that threw me.

Try my Blog!

Visit me on Facebook here!
Old May 26th, 2014   Call Me El is offline   #28
Call Me El
Geoffan

From CBR: Levitz Confirms "Earth 2: World's End" Exit, Announces "Worlds' Finest" Format Shift
ddf
Well, that's one less book for me to buy, anyway.

Old May 26th, 2014   Alan is offline   #29
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Depends how good it is at the end of the day.

Old May 27th, 2014   Call Me El is offline   #30
Call Me El
Geoffan

It depends on how much interest it holds for me to read in the first place.

Old June 7th, 2014   Komic_Brew is offline   #31
Komic_Brew

Too bad for All Star Western. Really liked it, especially the first story arc.