The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 2nd, 2013   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Arrow Remender responds to M-word controversey in Uncanny Avengers

From Newsarama: Remender Responds to UNCANNY AVENGERS 'M-Word' Controversy

I didn't know there was one. I did like how Alex was written here though.

Old April 2nd, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #2
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

From Newsarama: Remender Responds to UNCANNY AVENGERS 'M-Word' Controversy

I didn't know there was one. I did like how Alex was written here though.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Wow. People are mighty invested in the whole mutant=real-world minority analogy.
My thoughts:
1- It's just a comic book. Maybe the problem is Marvel takes the whole mutant-hatred thing too far, and too seriously?
2- Is what was said really that different from MLK Jr.'s "by the content of our character not the color of our skin" statement? Does the average modern day black person really want me to think of them as black first, then whatever else (a father, a mother, a soldier, an engineer, a Christian, an American, etc.)? I'd like to think pigmentation and ancestral genetic makeup have very little to do with who a person really is inside. Maybe I bought into too much of the "color blind society" concept that I was raised to believe in...

And then the response to Remender's tweet... I take him at his word that he was being sort of intentionally over-the-top in response to being called a racist on Twitter. After all, you're slightly more popular being branded a child molester or cannibal than a racist these days. That's a career-ending, life-destroying label if it sticks. People would do well to save the power that word wields for the truly worthy, lest they water down its efficacy to the point that it is eventually met with little more than an eye roll.

Ah well. I'm sure everyone here really missed my soap-box sermons while the servers were down. Forgive me

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 3rd, 2013   anthony_lynch15 is offline   #3
anthony_lynch15
aka. Anthony Lynch

Twitter - where your random off the cuff remarks come back to beat you to death over & over again.

Personally I liked what Remender was trying to get across with Alex's speech.
But I don't think the speech itself was written very well.
But at the end of the day I didn't really care.

The whole incident definitely comes under the category of - "that escalated quickly!"

Old April 3rd, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #4
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I liked the speech. It's never made sense that in a world with Hulks, Galactus and Dr. Doom people would be driven into a blind panic by Maggot.

I've waited years for SOME character to just publicly say Mutants are not as different as every writer paints them to be.

For me, the speech was the best part of the issue.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 3rd, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #5
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

I liked the speech. It's never made sense that in a world with Hulks, Galactus and Dr. Doom people would be driven into a blind panic by Maggot.

I've waited years for SOME character to just publicly say Mutants are not as different as every writer paints them to be.

For me, the speech was the best part of the issue.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I agree....Another thing I always found silly was why Spiderman was the only super hero in NY wanted by the police.

But really is there any difference between any super hero who was given powers by accident and a mutant who was born with that power?

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old April 3rd, 2013   anthony_lynch15 is offline   #6
anthony_lynch15
aka. Anthony Lynch

Yous didn't find the speech a bit cheesy?

Old April 3rd, 2013   starks is offline   #7
starks
Geoffan

ddf
anthony_lynch15 View Post

Nope. I thought it was on point.

IMO the critic from Comics Alliance was completely wrong, but that's the thing about opinions. Everyone has them.

Old April 3rd, 2013   anthony_lynch15 is offline   #8
anthony_lynch15
aka. Anthony Lynch

Nope. I thought it was on point.

IMO the critic from Comics Alliance was completely wrong, but that's the thing about opinions. Everyone has them.
ddf
starks View Post
Yeah, the Comic Alliance guy is way over thinking the whole thing.

All I know is when Havok said "How about Alex?" - I definitely rolled my eyes. LOL

But then I roll my eyes every time Claremont has someone say-
blah blah blah "Body & Soul".
And I definitely get the impression Remender is tapping in to the 70s & 80s type writing style for Uncanny Avengers. So I suppose it fits.

Old April 3rd, 2013   Matt Olsen is offline   #9
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

ddf
anthony_lynch15 View Post
Yes, but deciding that "Mutant" is an offensive slur all of the sudden is the real problem. It's a problem in-universe (hopefully all the other writers ignore it) and it's analogous to a problem in the real world where declaring that a commonly used word is offensive out of the blue is largely about controlling other people.

Silliness.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old April 3rd, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #10
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Yes, but deciding that "Mutant" is an offensive slur all of the sudden is the real problem. It's a problem in-universe (hopefully all the other writers ignore it) and it's analogous to a problem in the real world where declaring that a commonly used word is offensive out of the blue is largely about controlling other people.

Silliness.
ddf
Matt Olsen View Post
Interesting take. I would have to say I tend to agree with that.

Old April 3rd, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #11
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Silliness.
ddf
Matt Olsen View Post
I hardly see it as "all of a sudden". People in universe were using "mutant", "mutie", "genefreak" and various other terms to describe X-related characters in not so flattering ways since the 60's. What IS all of a sudden is that someone called them on it. I don't find it an analogue for "declaring that a commonly used word is offensive out of the blue", but saying that certain words that WERE meant in a derogatory fashion (the N-word, the F-word, certain words to describe Jewish people or Chinese people...hey, I'm not getting banned just to make a point) are offensive.

Also, just because Alex feels that way (or said he did to make a point about unity) doesn't mean Scott or Ororo or Magneto or Maggot feel that way. Which is kind of the point the character is making.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 3rd, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #12
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I hardly see it as "all of a sudden". People in universe were using "mutant", "mutie", "genefreak" and various other terms to describe X-related characters in not so flattering ways since the 60's. What IS all of a sudden is that someone called them on it. I don't find it an analogue for "declaring that a commonly used word is offensive out of the blue", but saying that certain words that WERE meant in a derogatory fashion (the N-word, the F-word, certain words to describe Jewish people or Chinese people...hey, I'm not getting banned just to make a point) are offensive.

Also, just because Alex feels that way (or said he did to make a point about unity) doesn't mean Scott or Ororo or Magneto or Maggot feel that way. Which is kind of the point the character is making.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
This. It's about pointing out a problem that went unaddressed for a long time, and due to the fact that the X-men have always been seen as analogous to various minorities, it's strange that it's only just been addressed when the first thing that any civil rights group does is point out the offensive terms used to describe the persecuted group.

Also, is it just me or has Cyclops started to become Magneto while Alex has become Xavier? It would be really cool if these two developed into those new roles, especially since Magneto/Xavier were "like" brothers versus these two being actual brothers, and additionally the fact that in the 90s you would have guessed that they would have ended up in the opposite roles.

I like the second point you make, because it's true, and I would like to see Cyclops' reaction at some point.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old April 3rd, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #13
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Seriously?

Kind of reminds me of something I saw a while ago....

Hardcore fans of anything never cease to find ways to amuse the outside masses, do they?

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old April 3rd, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #14
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I was always under the impression (correctly or not) that "mutant" was an accepted term, as the mutants referred to themselves as mutants (and not ironically or in some "own the slur" type of way).

Now "mutie" was always obviously meant to be derogatory.

Regardless, I wish (and this sounds so naive and pollyannaish) that in reality people were just people and their racial (not cultural, mind you; that's different) ancestry only mattered at all to anyone when it came to medical issues that differ for people of varying genetic backgrounds.

Old April 3rd, 2013   Werehunter is offline   #15
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

I was always under the impression (correctly or not) that "mutant" was an accepted term, as the mutants referred to themselves as mutants (and not ironically or in some "own the slur" type of way).
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
While true, if you look at history you will see that words which have been used for years or decades, becoming less acceptable. Just in the past 100 years, both the words Negro and Colored, which at one time were used frequently and without insult by people of all races, now would get you a quick punch or dressing down.

Old April 3rd, 2013   Amentep is offline   #16
Amentep

Now "mutie" was always obviously meant to be derogatory.

Regardless, I wish (and this sounds so naive and pollyannaish) that in reality people were just people and their racial (not cultural, mind you; that's different) ancestry only mattered at all to anyone when it came to medical issues that differ for people of varying genetic backgrounds.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
In a way isn't that Alex's argument though?

Whether you think "mutant" is a slur or not, classing people as mutants is a way of creating an "other" out of a segment of humanity. Sociologically people are less likely to feel empathy for society's others than they are for individuals they know.

So Alex's point is that he's an individual, not a monolithic group of people which really exists as an artificial construct to group together disparate individuals (and in Alex's opinion, dehumanize them).