The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 16th, 2014   Trevor is offline   #465
Trevor
Geoffan

Huge Image Eisner nominated series sale on Comixology website only. Saga, Manhattan Projects, Zero, Pretty Deadly, Lazarus, Rat Queens, Sex Criminals, East ofWest, and Nowhere Men.

Old April 16th, 2014   Alan is offline   #466
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Can't work out why they have these only on the website - I never use the website but use their app all the time. There is currently a couple of Warren Ellis bundles on offer too. But I don't even know what my password is for the site as a whole as I have never had to use it since I joined!

Old April 16th, 2014   Trevor is offline   #467
Trevor
Geoffan

Can't work out why they have these only on the website - I never use the website but use their app all the time. There is currently a couple of Warren Ellis bundles on offer too. But I don't even know what my password is for the site as a whole as I have never had to use it since I joined!
ddf
Alan View Post
Nothing rated M or above can be advertised in an Apple app. I'm thinking at least Sex Criminals qualifies.

Old April 16th, 2014   Alan is offline   #468
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Ah, yes I'd forgotten about that. Ta. Did I ever do it that way? Maybe not. Might just be worth signing up from scratch.

Old April 16th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #469
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I always buy on the site so publisher/creators get their money. I don't want to purchase via app as Amazon gets a percentage. Plus, I don't want problems/unavailability of controversial comics.

Recent sale of Ennis' Crossed is an example.

Old April 16th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #470
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Huge Image Eisner nominated series sale on Comixology website only. Saga, Manhattan Projects, Zero, Pretty Deadly, Lazarus, Rat Queens, Sex Criminals, East ofWest, and Nowhere Men.
ddf
Trevor View Post
These titles are not in the sales area. I had to search each title.

Bought Pretty Deadly, East of West, & Sex Criminals.

I already read Lazarus and Saga.

Old April 17th, 2014   Matches is offline   #471
Matches
stepping aside

I always buy on the site so publisher/creators get their money. I don't want to purchase via app as Amazon gets a percentage. Plus, I don't want problems/unavailability of controversial comics.

Recent sale of Ennis' Crossed is an example.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
This. Just to be clear - when you buy in-app on an iOS device, Apple takes a cut (most believe it's around 30%). When you buy on the web, Apple gets nothing (though the comics are still readable in the iOS App). For a Kindle Fire substitute "Amazon" for "Apple" and it's the same thing.

Also - if you buy via a retailer storefront (identical to the comiXology site but affiliated with a brick-and-mortar store), the retailer gets a cut. This is my preferred method of buying. I'm really big on comiXology subscriptions too as they deliver the issues to you automatically when they're released, and you can alter them at any time.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 17th, 2014   Trevor is offline   #472
Trevor
Geoffan

Bought Pretty Deadly, East of West, & Sex Criminals.

I already read Lazarus and Saga.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Yeah, sales often don't show in that area, but in various other locations on the main home page. I try to scroll the whole page daily and often find sales in one of the middle panels, or new bundles at the bottom.

Old April 17th, 2014   LastSun is offline   #473
LastSun
Master Geoffan

Also - if you buy via a retailer storefront (identical to the comiXology site but affiliated with a brick-and-mortar store), the retailer gets a cut. This is my preferred method of buying. I'm really big on comiXology subscriptions too as they deliver the issues to you automatically when they're released, and you can alter them at any time.
ddf
Matches View Post

Also if you use DCBS's comixology store they give you a credit for 5% of your purchase that can be used towards orders on there site

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old April 17th, 2014   charlesknightime is offline   #474
charlesknightime
Decompressing

Hi there,

As an academic and a massive comics fan (mainly big two but also some stuff like Pilgrim), I'm undertaking academic research in Digital Comics buying as I'm investigating how digital goods are changing habits - I thought after reading this thread, you guys would be interested.

Everyone who responses can win (via random draw):

1* £100 Amazon voucher (or similar local equal if amazon not available)
4 * £50 Amazon voucher
20 * £10 Amazon voucher
1 * mystery price of a comics related item (not Team America 22 or similar...)

The survey takes 5-10 minutes. It includes some demographic questions, as well as some questions about digital and physical comics (don't worry if you only read one type as you don't need to answer questions about other type!).

survey can be found at:

http://www.sogosurvey.com/survey.aspx?k=YsQVUWRsS

Happy to answer any questions here or drop me an email via my contact details on survey and if I can get a decent response rate, I plan to share results with people.

Best,

Charles

Old April 17th, 2014   charlesknightime is offline   #475
charlesknightime
Decompressing

This. Just to be clear - when you buy in-app on an iOS device, Apple takes a cut (most believe it's around 30%). When you buy on the web, Apple gets nothing (though the comics are still readable in the iOS App). For a Kindle Fire substitute "Amazon" for "Apple" and it's the same thing.

ddf
Matches View Post
Do the subscriptions have any discounts?

Old April 17th, 2014   Alan is offline   #476
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Interesting. Have done that. I will buy digital comics but won't buy other media that way. I have bought precisely 1 music file in my life but have vast numbers of LPs and CDs. I have very few digital books. I do on the whole buy new comics in print, but will buy digitally when there are offers on things. The discount makes up for the fact that you have nothing permanent and nothing to sell on as you do with print. You also have nothing taking up ever increasing amounts of space in your house though, and after a while that becomes quite a convincing argument in favour if getting more digitally.

And of course your partner will never notice the increase....

Old April 17th, 2014   Matt Olsen is offline   #477
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

ddf
manwithnoname View Post
They created an Image sales page just this afternoon:
https://www.comixology.com/Image-Eis...Sale/page/1673

Thanks for the heads up on this sale. I'll grow my Manhattan Projects collection and am tempted by East of West, Pretty Deadly and Zero.

Do the subscriptions have any discounts?
ddf
charlesknightime View Post
Nope, it's just a matter of convenience. I started my first one last week and it seems pretty useful, especially since it's for a comic that comes out on an unusual schedule. I don't have to keep track.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old April 18th, 2014   Trevor is offline   #478
Trevor
Geoffan

A couple new sales: Carnage vs Deadpool from Marvel for Good Friday only, and a sale on all of Invincible thru the 21st.

Old April 18th, 2014   Call Me El is offline   #479
Call Me El
Geoffan

Interesting. Have done that. I will buy digital comics but won't buy other media that way. I have bought precisely 1 music file in my life but have vast numbers of LPs and CDs. I have very few digital books. I do on the whole buy new comics in print, but will buy digitally when there are offers on things. The discount makes up for the fact that you have nothing permanent and nothing to sell on as you do with print. You also have nothing taking up ever increasing amounts of space in your house though, and after a while that becomes quite a convincing argument in favour if getting more digitally.

And of course your partner will never notice the increase....
ddf
Alan View Post
I'm a collector by nature and finding the space can become a problem. But sometimes there's a story that sounds interesting but I don't necessarily want to own. so I've recently started sampling some titles digitally. If figure if I find I do want a hard copy I can get the trade later or there's always back issues.

Digital is also good for reading crossovers without having to find extra space for those odd issues of a series I wouldn't normally buy at all .

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old April 19th, 2014   Trevor is offline   #480
Trevor
Geoffan

New sale from Dynamite today on a bunch of Warlord of Mars stuff.