The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old April 11th, 2017   superfriend is offline   #81
superfriend
laughs at comics

I really can't say I have any interest in Secret Empire. So unless one of the titles I read tie in it or the reviews for the story are really, really good, I most likely won't be paying it any attention.
ddf
Amentep View Post
same.

i read Aaron's Thor and Dr. Strange and Lemire's MK. oh, and Daredevil. to my knowledge there hasn't been a mention of SE in those books.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old April 13th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #82
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I really can't say I have any interest in Secret Empire. So unless one of the titles I read tie in it or the reviews for the story are really, really good, I most likely won't be paying it any attention.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Likewise. I haven't bought much Marvel in the last five years, but I HAVE bought all the crossover event main titles. I've been so disappointed I really don't think I have any interest in another one right now.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old April 13th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #83
Amentep

I've bought a good bit of Marvel (I like off-beat characters and experimental art in superhero books so some of their fringe titles may be more to my taste than others).

But I usually buy cross-overs based on word of mouth or the subject. This subject doesn't really interest me though.

This kind of leads into the fact I read the most recent issue of HULK. Its not really a great Hulk (or She-Hulk either) title so far, but it has actually been a decent drama set in the Marvel Universe about characters dealing with PTSD from life altering events. Probably not for everyone though (in that way it reminds me of Patsy Walker in that it also wasn't really a superhero comic, but a look at romance comics through the MU lens of superhero stories; however unlike that title I find Hulk to be managing to hold together better.

Old April 17th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #84
[email protected]

X-Men Prime : After protesting the umpteen million X-reboots for the last ten years, I decided to dabble again. This was actually a pleasant read. Bringing Kitty back added some heart to the X universe. (Something sorely lacking in the charmless I vs. X mini). I still struggle with ancient Logan and time displaced originals, but this issue was a good reentry point.

[b]Champions #7 [b]: Loved seeing Vision in the father role, and also the ironic commentary on legal ownership of the Chapions name. (Mirroring real life where the name was tied up in courts for years before Marvel got it back). I continue to enjoy that this book doesn't rely on the 6 issue longform arcs that quickly kill new comics. The Champions remains unconventional in many ways and I'm hoping to God it doesn't get destroyed by Marvel's next big event, like every other book for the last 5-10 years.

Old April 18th, 2017   starks is offline   #85
starks
Geoffan

I'm going to be dabbling into the X books soon too. Going to try out Jean Grey, Mutant X, X-Men Blue & X-Men Gold.

Old April 20th, 2017   Matches is offline   #86
Matches
stepping aside

Well it sounds like I'm the only one reading Secret Empire but #0 came out this week, with

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Cap revealing his HYDRA allegiance to the world while betraying pretty much all the other superheroes.

One thing I do find interesting is the idea that the Cap-HYDRA timeline was the original timeline, and that the Allies altered history at the end of WWII to create the timeline with which we are familiar. Interesting twist, not sure where they're headed with that.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 26th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #87
[email protected]

X-Men Gold#1 : After many years away (despite collecting the first 400 issues of the original run), I was pleasantly surprized that the book felt both familiar and willing to acknowledge it's history. Haven't added it to my pull list yet, but I may. This was a great jumping-back-on point and renewed the character relationships without every last character feeling bitter and unapproachable (like they did in I vs. X).

X-Men Blue#1 : It took every bit of strength I had to buy this book. My hugest complaint about the Marvel U (that has slowly driven me away) is all the anachronistic characters like Ultimate Spidey, multiverse characters running around with no explanation and MOST OF ALL the timelost original X-Men who have stayed long past the story that got them here. (At what point does the timeline collapse in on itself? And why God why didn't Marvel do a reset when the Ultimate Universe died to sort all this nonsense out?) Anyway, that long diatribe aside, I enjoyed the book. If the originals are truly trapped here forever I can get behind them. The book had a nice youthful feel (why does Marvel do this better lately than DC?). Going to try a few more issues.

The Royals#1,2 : Really like the art, which makes the book feel quirky and unique. Issue #1 had a great focus on the Royal Family, which is who I am invested in and have wanted to read about all along. Unfortunately issue 2 started pushing the nuhumans again, which is going to make me drop it in a hurry. The problem with all the nuhumans like Flint, Reader, Iso, etc. is I have ZERO attachment to them. They'ra all void of personalities. They make great visuals but I can't even tell you what half their powers are or why they want to run around saving the world. TNaja's been around for quite a while yet and yet I still can't tell you why I'm supposed to care. The newbies have no apparent relationships with each other. I had added it to my pull list, but it's coming off just as quickly if it's more retreading of the blank slate nobodies. Marvel ought to take a hard look at how they used to introduce new X-men as a textbook lesson on how to get me invested in this franchise they're trying so hard to push. There's a reason to this day why I'm still invested in what happens to Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Rogue, and Sam Guthrie.

Old April 27th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #88
Amentep

The Royals#1,2 : Really like the art, which makes the book feel quirky and unique.
ddf
I really don't like the art. But I can tolerate it; I've liked Al Ewing's other books and I'm a big fan of the Inhumans so tolerating it will do.

Issue #1 had a great focus on the Royal Family, which is who I am invested in and have wanted to read about all along. Unfortunately issue 2 started pushing the nuhumans again, which is going to make me drop it in a hurry. The problem with all the nuhumans like Flint, Reader, Iso, etc. is I have ZERO attachment to them. They're all void of personalities. They make great visuals but I can't even tell you what half their powers are or why they want to run around saving the world. Naja's been around for quite a while yet and yet I still can't tell you why I'm supposed to care. The newbies have no apparent relationships with each other.
ddf
I don't disagree the NuHuman characters could use more development. One of the biggest problems I had with the last Inhumans run was that it had dozens of featured characters fighting for room. They tried to fix that with New Inhumans which concentrated on a core cast, but there were still a lot of characters to juggle.

That said, though, at least while they're in space this story shouldn't have any NuHumans in it beyond Flint and Swain (as they're the only ones who left on the ship). And given the small cast, I can't believe they won't be developed more.

As an aside, I don' think Reader technically is a NuHuman as IIRC he had powers before the Terrigen Cloud was released on earth (in fact I think he came from the same Attilan splinter faction that Lash did, both of them being some of the few in their generation deemed worthy to undergo Terrigenesis)

Old April 27th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #89
[email protected]

I really don't like the art. But I can tolerate it; I've liked Al Ewing's other books and I'm a big fan of the Inhumans so tolerating it will do.

I don't disagree the NuHuman characters could use more development. One of the biggest problems I had with the last Inhumans run was that it had dozens of featured characters fighting for room. They tried to fix that with New Inhumans which concentrated on a core cast, but there were still a lot of characters to juggle.

That said, though, at least while they're in space this story shouldn't have any NuHumans in it beyond Flint and Swain (as they're the only ones who left on the ship). And given the small cast, I can't believe they won't be developed more.

As an aside, I don' think Reader technically is a NuHuman as IIRC he had powers before the Terrigen Cloud was released on earth (in fact I think he came from the same Attilan splinter faction that Lash did, both of them being some of the few in their generation deemed worthy to undergo Terrigenesis)
ddf
Amentep View Post
Agree that too many characters fighting for space was a big part of the issue. The nuhuman characters would get an introduction...but then before they could be fully explored they'd be moved to the side to introduce the next new character. Then when they'd come back later my reaction was typically "I know I'm supposed to know them, but..."

I've always loved the Royals and feel like over the course of Marvel History their story hasn't been beaten to death like many other "teams". I get frustrated when i see characters like Gorgon or Karnak being shoved to the side because I'm not "bored" with them yet.

Hoping you're right that the space move will keep the cast manageable. Would have liked to see Ahura along for the ride since he's another younger character with actual ties to the family.

Old May 2nd, 2017   Amentep is offline   #90
Amentep

I can understand how you feel; sometimes I'd forget who certain characters were. There were a lot of dangling storylines as well with those characters. It felt like the production issues (changing writers and starting back over, the cross-overs that stalled out the story being told) really took its toll on the title.

I do feel like there has been a trend to try to introduce characters into the story that are outside the royal family (which I theorize is because writers don't always know what to do with them - see how many stories revolve around the Royal family either trying to maintain rule against outside agencies or regain rule that they've lost) and then those characters just disappear from the narrative.

Old May 6th, 2017   superfriend is offline   #91
superfriend
laughs at comics

there's something about the Inhumans these days where when i try to get into them i turn into one of those HBO Westworld robots when they look at something that's not from inside the park.

doesn't look like anything to me.

it's weird.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old May 9th, 2017   married guy is offline   #92
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

My last Marvel title is Dr Strange, and I'll be dropping that once #20 rolls around. I have loved every bit of this run.

Marvel just isn't releasing anything that interests me anymore.
I tried Spider-Man 2099, but it left me cold.
Same with the newest Scarlet Spider book.
I haven't read an X-Men book since the first couple of Morrison's issues (and the brilliant X-Force/X-Statix).
Even Spider-Man has been bland.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 12th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #93
[email protected]

X-Men Gold#2 : Still liking this title and probably going to add it to my pull list. Kitty continues to add the moral center to the team, and there's a respect for the X history that has long been missing. Nimrod is an intriguing choice for a villan here.

X-Men Blue#2,3 : Really liking this book and have added it to my pull list. While I've struggled with the timelost aspect (and WHY isn't time collapsing in on itself???), having the 5 together and seperate from the rest is helping it work. Curious if Belen will become a regular... the original 5 are kind of a sausage fest.

Black Bolt#1 : Tried it but...meh. Pretty standard fare. Not sure about this one.

Old May 28th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #94
[email protected]

Secret Empire#1,2. : Really struggled with picking this up, since I hate the whole Cap is Hydra twist. But I picked it up on the chance the story will undo the ruination of my favorite Marvel character. That said, I loved the first issue and hated the second. Overall, the story is good and has teeth. The problem with the second issue was the art. Totally ruined it for me. On a big bombastic story like this, I don't want to spend half the issue trying to decipher who the characters are. Between the distant depictions and washed out colors, I literally spent the whole second ish going..."I think that's Jessica Jones...I think...maybe?. ." This type of art is much better suited for a smaller single character book. The first issue had strong colors, close ups, and I never once had to question who was who. Probably keep picking this up, but hoping for more of Steve McNiven and less Sorrentino.

X-Men Gold#3,4 : The machinations behind the new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants made for great story. Liking the developments with Amara as well. Gambit's story looks promising.

The Royals#3 : Enjoyed the backstory on Black Bolt & Maximus childhood. (Had we ever seen their parents before?). Also, can we never use the name Blackagar Boltagon again? My God is that awkward!

Old May 31st, 2017   Amentep is offline   #95
Amentep

X-Men Blue#2,3 : Really liking this book and have added it to my pull list. While I've struggled with the timelost aspect (and WHY isn't time collapsing in on itself???), having the 5 together and seperate from the rest is helping it work. Curious if Belen will become a regular... the original 5 are kind of a sausage fest.
ddf
I enjoyed X-Men Blue as well so far.

I imagine the answer to why time hasn't collapsed is something like they'll ultimately be revealed to not be from the past of this universe and post-Secret Wars there is no 'original time' that they can go back to.

I try not to think about it too much.

I also liked the first two issues of Jean Grey. Solid art and I like that they're confronting the Phoenix force off the bat.

Secret Warriors is kind of shaky; I like aspects of the stories and the character interaction is great. Hard to see the long game for the title though.

Read X-Men Gold #2; have to catch up with 3-4.

Regarding the Boltagan parents I think this is the first time we've seen them as characters; I think they've been drawn in flashbacks, but not really used in a story, more like illustrated in a panel. I liked the development of Maximus. Even though I somewhat tire of him being a constant foil to the Inhumans, at least this story gave some layers to why that is.

Old June 2nd, 2017   Matches is offline   #96
Matches
stepping aside

Really digging Hulk so far. The first arc wrapped up this week. It's very different from most of the She-Hulk material from the last few decades but IMO very good. Jennifer is dealing with PTSD after the events of Civil War II, and so far it's a pretty insightful look at how PTSD works and what it does to people.

The end of #6 has a look at the cover for #7 as well and man it's really great work. Worth a look.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.