The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 7th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #273
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Didn't read much this week, but here goes:
Batgirl Annual #1 : The highlight of this for me was the beginning of the new Babs/Kara friendship. This honestly hasn't been a thing since COIE 32 years ago, so glad to see it make a comeback. Babs making fun of Kara's passwords was a classic.
I was curious about the convict getting broken out NOT being Saturn Girl as solicited. Unless "Gayle" was Imra playing a mindtrick on everybody. Seems like there was a last minute switch made.

Justice League of America #2 : The story is good, but I still feel like the Extremists are getting far too much page time at the expense of the brand new team members. We should see the characters working out the kinks of being a newly formed team. And since my LCS didn't carry the solo prequel one shots, I'm coming in w/o the benefit of anybody's backstories.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old April 8th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #274

^Oops, meant JL of A #3, not #2.

Old April 10th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #275
Amentep

I dropped Justice League of America; The Extremists are a group of villains I don't really like, and as you say the lack of dealing with the characters in the team made it an easy drop for me.

Titans Annual was kind of rough in that ultimately it didn't really do anything. Sure there's some mysterious bad out there, but...did we need an annual for that?

Batman - Batman vs Bane. Lots of trips into Bruce's psyche but...wasn't all that interesting really.

Detective - still feel weird about Batman - DC's greatest detective - declaring there was no conspiracy to attack Gotham two stories ago and now there is that conspired attack on Gotham. That and the fact that the team is just being beaten up left and right - not really feeling this.

Mother Panic - dropped it as Batwoman jobbed to the new character to prove how awesome the new character was. But she wasn't.

Superman/Action Comics - liked the wrap up to the Superman Reborn storyline even if it all was a giant handwave to put continuity together in a way to make sense of using the characters fans liked. And we're getting somewhere on the farmer and mysterious town angle.

Wonder Woman - While I liked it, I don't think the title ever really made sense of why Diana checked herself into the mental health institute.

Flintstones - ripped from the headlines political commentary. Great Steve Pugh art, funny story in typical Russell style.

Old April 10th, 2017   starks is offline   #276
starks
Geoffan

Titans Annual #1: The Key pits four Titans against four JLers to get an emotional response from them to free an unknown mystery figure. Looking forward to who it turns out to be.

JLA #3: the team is going after individual members of the Extremists while the locals rise up to face Havok. Decent issue.

Superman #20: Okay—that was interesting. Something is up with Grandpa Cobb. Maybe whatever is going on has to do with the swamp.

Batman #20: If there is an award for Best Comic issue, this issue would win it hands down. Absolutely brilliant.

Nightwing #18: I don’t know if the Pyg/Grayson relationship happened in the Grayson title, or things are coming from Morrison’s Batman run. Regardless, this was a really well written issue. This title would be amazing with a better art team though. If they got the team that did the Titans Annual, I’d be happy.

Aquaman #20: Love the horror vibe to the cover. Good story developing regarding Dead Water.

Deathstroke #16: Good issue. Twilight might just have a future.

Old April 10th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #277

Superman #20: Was very curious to read the first post-Reborn issue to see the new status quo. Was very glad to see the Hamilton County stuff is still in, as I really like Jon getting this upbringing. It sets him apart from the urban citydweller son of Batman. Interesting doings with Grandpa Cobb. I suspect he's been taken over by something - and hopefully isn't evil at heart.

Hal & The GLC #17: Happy to see Kyle restored as a GL, but hoping this doesn't mean he gets shoved to the sidelines. Really enjoyed the heart to heart between Hal & Kyle.

Green Arrow #20: My big complaint about this arc was that it was too short! I loved every second of it, and really enjoyed getting a fully fleshed out backstory for Roy. The writing was stellar on Roy's story, and hopefully he'll show up sporadically in these pages again (versus being invisible during the nu52).

Old April 11th, 2017   Matches is offline   #278
Matches
stepping aside

Nightwing #18: I don’t know if the Pyg/Grayson relationship happened in the Grayson title, or things are coming from Morrison’s Batman run. Regardless, this was a really well written issue. This title would be amazing with a better art team though. If they got the team that did the Titans Annual, I’d be happy.
ddf
starks View Post
The current Nightwing arc is VERY heavily steeped in the Morrison Batman stuff. That's where Dick & Damian first encountered both Pyg and the guy who shows up at the end of Nightwing #18.

Green Arrow #20: My big complaint about this arc was that it was too short! I loved every second of it, and really enjoyed getting a fully fleshed out backstory for Roy. The writing was stellar on Roy's story, and hopefully he'll show up sporadically in these pages again (versus being invisible during the nu52).
ddf
[email protected] View Post
Couldn't agree more. This series has been really solid since the relaunch. Seems like they've tried about 12 times since the New 52 started to explain the relationship between Oliver and Roy, and finally they got it right.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 17th, 2017   starks is offline   #279
starks
Geoffan

Action Comics #977: This was an awesome issue. Great writing, with art to match. In the issue, Clark gets a history of his life, as he feels something is missing from his memory, while someone or something is gathering a group of his enemies.

Detective Comics #954: I have to admit, I got a bit confused. I thought Colony Prime was locked up in the Belfry. And I thought Ulysses was off world. I don’t even remember the other two. And is R’as saying the League of Shadows are the Talons (referencing a “bed time story”)? I’ll probably have to go back a bit to refresh my memory. Lastly, I’m not a fan of the art.

JLA #4: Pretty good conclusion with an interesting last couple of pages.

Suicide Squad #15: I hate when new characters are introduced and are killed off (Ravan). And I think there could’ve been a lot more stories that could be told with Rustam. This issue was Waller-esque, but the dialogue—and even more so for the backup—really needed work. On a positive note, no more Romita!

Hal Jordan/GLC #18: The Greens & Yellows try to get along, although there are a few hiccups to get to that point, while two of them are attacked on patrol. Interesting end with Rip. I wonder who from Earth will get a blue ring.

Old April 18th, 2017   starks is offline   #280
starks
Geoffan

So another DC title is going to cost $3.99. Aquaman, which has been published twice a month since Rebirth, is now only going to be coming out once per month, according to DC's July solicits.

Dropping it from my pull list at my LCS after June, but will still get it from an online retailer at a discounted price.

This is a bad omen, as it seems more & more DC titles are going to be costing $3.99.

Old April 20th, 2017   Matches is offline   #281
Matches
stepping aside

Action Comics #977: This was an awesome issue. Great writing, with art to match. In the issue, Clark gets a history of his life, as he feels something is missing from his memory, while someone or something is gathering a group of his enemies.
ddf
starks View Post
I just find Jurgens' writing soooo bland. It's always technically proficient and clear - always professionally done, but there's never any oomph to it. (At least IMHO where the H is silent.). I'm digging Superman far more.

Detective Comics #954: I have to admit, I got a bit confused. I thought Colony Prime was locked up in the Belfry. And I thought Ulysses was off world. I don’t even remember the other two. And is R’as saying the League of Shadows are the Talons (referencing a “bed time story”)? I’ll probably have to go back a bit to refresh my memory. Lastly, I’m not a fan of the art.
ddf
The League of Shadows is, as far as we know, unconnected to the Talons or the Court of Owls. The reference to a bedtime story was Ra's letting Batman know that his memories have been tampered with (apparently Zatanna-style by Ra's). You might be confusing Ulysses (aka The General) with the Superman character of the same name.

This week - Batman # 21 - first part of "The Button" - and there's a ton to unpack, particularly for an issue whose events take place in a little more than one minute. Batman vs Reverse-Flash, a Flashpoint tease, King & Fabok using the 9-panel Watchmen grid extensively, Batman saying "hm" as a nod to Rorscach's "hrm", and Thawne returning from wherever he went looking a lot like Barry Allen in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Not a lot of answers here yet but such a well-executed issue.

Nightwing # 19 was really cool also. Love seeing Dr. Hurt back.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 25th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #282
Amentep

I'm not terribly happy with the mindwipe idea in Detective - but I've missed a lot of batcontinuity and maybe this is something more like modern Ra's would do. But overall the story isn't working for me.

Batman...I know I read the last issue with Bane and all but that didn't seem to be the end of the story but now we're on to a story about the Button. Don't really care about it, but the story was told well. No plans to get the Flash so maybe I should sit this one out?

I liked Action Comics but it was a weird comic being an excuse to restate Superman's origins and to move some villains around setting up a later storyline. Superman with the second issue of the swamp & farm mystery was stronger IMO.

Old April 25th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #283

Aquaman #20 : Enjoying the Dead Water story, but also feeling like we need a little shakeup here. Won't spoil anything, but am hopeful about the solicits for the next arc. It's also about damn time that Arthur and Mera get married. (Hint: GET ON WITH IT).

Justice League #21 : Feel like this title has finally found its footing. The Timeless arc continues to deliver, maybe because its more character focused (versus "idea" focused) than previous arcs.

Titans #8 : Still have a bad taste in my mouth from the annual and the bunglng of Donna's origin, but I am enjoying the focus on Karen and Mal. It's about 30 years overdue. Enjoying seeing these characters lovingly restored. (Well, except for Donna the anachronistic walking pile of goo).

Wonder Woman #20: Really enjoying the Veronica Cale and Dr. Cyber backstory. Will be sad to see Rucka go.

Batman #21 : The Button. Great first installment and hoping we get more of Thomas Wayne. The one minute battle was a great angle.

Superwoman #9. : Superwoman is suddenly interesting thanks to Reborn. The new writer eased up on the million side characters and it's helping. Anxious to see where this goes next.

The Flash #20 : Good issue and enjoyed Iris finally having something to do! The Barry/ Iris relationship is what this book needs right now to energize the book.

Old April 27th, 2017   superfriend is offline   #284
superfriend
laughs at comics

I liked Action Comics but it was a weird comic being an excuse to restate Superman's origins and to move some villains around setting up a later storyline. Superman with the second issue of the swamp & farm mystery was stronger IMO.
ddf
Amentep View Post
i'm still waiting to see if Clark is vegetarian or if his favorite dish is still beef bourguignon.

i kid.

but yes, i agree...i liked Action in that very Dan-Jurgensy-old-school-paradigm way that he's explaining all of the minutiae here. i can't really think of any better person to handle the task, and if it's for you then you're loving the almost Roy Thomasy kind of care that Jurgens is channeling. this kind of comic is a relic now, which makes it kind of novel in a weird way. very throwback.

Tomasi's book is the one that's advancing the Superdad status quo. in a more contemporary and probably a more pleasing way than the kind of dissertation style that Action has indulged in with the Reborn storyline.

all in all though i'm pretty pleased with the 2 Superman books and losing the trunks forever makes it an indelible period for the character, you ask me.

now if i could just shake this phantom feeling i get when i see all of the new Titans material and then there's Cyborg shlepping with the Justice League when everybody knows that's supposed to be Martian Manhunter in that spot. tongue firmly in cheek.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old April 28th, 2017   married guy is offline   #285
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

What really sucks is not being able to buy a copy of the lenticular covers here in Australia!
I managed to jag a copy of Batman #21 at Supernova Con on the Gold Coast (for $15!) but no store in Queensland got any issues of either Batman or Flash #21.
All because of the bloody smiley face button.

Ah, the dramas of a comic nerd......

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old April 28th, 2017   Call Me El is offline   #286
Call Me El
Geoffan

Supergirl #8: A nice between-adventures issue. I'm a bit disappointed that Kara doesn't seem to have merged with her pre-Flashpoint self and that once again her first meeting with Lois has happened off-panel but thankfully her personality seems to be largely fixed. The juvenile art style is still a major distraction (and detraction) though.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old May 1st, 2017   married guy is offline   #287
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Aquaman has been consistently great. That said, I'm not sure if I'll stick with it past #25 and the change from fortnightly to monthly and the $1 price bump...

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 2nd, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #288

New Super-Man #10 : I keep getting sucked back into picking up this book. ANOTHER Reborn aftermath, but not as much retread here as some others. Still baffled about how both Kenan and Lana got their powers, since nuSuperman never died to pass on his "energy". Kenan's hero worship of Kal was fun though.

Super Sons #3 : Continues to be one of my favorite titles. It's FUN, and reminds me why I got hooked on comics. The interplay between Jon & Damien really is enjoyable.

Green Lanterns #21 : Liked the Dr. Polaris appearance, he hasn't been used well in forever. The summoning to Mogo at the end looks to be interesting, although I have much preferred reading about earth-based lanterns.

Aquaman #21 : Kind of ready for the Dead Water story to be over, it's ran it's course. Most interested in the breakaway scene with Tula, and the political unrest in Atlantis (far more interesting).

Green Arrow #21 : Lots of set-up here, but interesting developments with Cheshire & Brick. Cheshire hasn't been this scary in a while.

Hal & The GLC #18 : The teaming of the Green and Sinestro Corps is as rocky as I was hoping. Curious how long this story will take to play out. Wouldn't mind a long game on this one.

Trinity #8 : Reborn Aftermath. Lots of retread here if you haven't already read Action Comics, but I suppose necessary for continuity purposes. Looking forward to getting back to the dark trinity storyline.

Superman #21 : The Damien/Jon sleepover, and Damien not being a morning person was possibly the best scene of the year. Jon continues to be my favorite character of the Reborn era, and the Superman family angle continues to be great new territory we've never seen before outside of elseworld type tales. Evil Kathy and her dad are making for a nice angle in this arc, but I hope they survive the story!

Action #977 : The New World. While this may feel a bit Roy Thomasy at his Roy Thomasiest (as others have commented), it really is necessary to get the current Superman on his feet. Unifying the two versions is no easy task, and perhaps most important was establishing that Jon isn't 10 within a 5-7 year timespan. The Superman Revenge Squad also looks promising. I'm all in!