The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old September 16th, 2007   Marky is offline   #1
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Thumbs up In Search Of Steve Ditko

Just watched an awesome documentary on BBC Four about Steve Ditko.

Presented by Jonathan Ross and featuring Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Mark Millar it documents Ditko's carrer and the influence and admiration he created with professionals and fans.

The whole thing was very interesting with Jonathan Ross' straight interview with Stan Lee on the creation of Spider-Man being of particular note. Stan still thought he was the real creator but that he was more than ready to credit Ditko as co-creator because that's what Ditko wanted.

Other Highlights included Alan Moore reciting lyrics about Ditko that his band had wrote and a look at Jonathan Ross' extensive comic book collection!

The programme ended with Jonanthan Ross and Neil Gaiman trying to meet with Ditko himself. I had no idea that Ditko was such a recluse with only a handful of photos available of him. Standing outside his office building Ross phones Ditko and gives him heratfelt thanks and asks for an audience which Ditko refuses. At this point Ross asks Gaiman if he they should just go up and knock on his door anyway with out cameras and Gaiman, saying he's Speedy to his Green Arrow/Etta Candy to his Wonder Woman (!), agrees.

Twenty five minutes later the two return beaming having had a good long chat with Steve Ditko, great stuff

Anyone else catch this?

Here's hoping BBC repeat it.

Heroes Reborn 2: V Neck Boogaloo!
Old September 16th, 2007   Capt America1941 is offline   #2
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

Hopefully BBCAmerica will show this. It sounds fantastic. I know Ditko was never one for publicity and I think I've probably only seen one photo and never read any interviews, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

fight the power !!!!! don't register!!!
Old September 16th, 2007   Jay West is offline   #3
Jay West
Advanced Geoffan

. Standing outside his office building Ross phones Ditko
ddf
Marky View Post
What does Steve Ditko do these days? I figured he was some recluse in a retirement home somewhere. For some reason I picture him with Bruce Campbell's Elvis in Bubba Ho-Tep. Hiding out from everybody.

Old September 17th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
I’m not dead.

All I know about Steve is that he lives in NYC. He's very much the recluse. I would love to hear what he thinks about the Spider-Man movies. I'm sure he has an opinion.

Old September 17th, 2007   Lion Blade is offline   #5
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

Just watched an awesome documentary on BBC Four about Steve Ditko.

Presented by Jonathan Ross and featuring Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Mark Millar it documents Ditko's carrer and the influence and admiration he created with professionals and fans.

The whole thing was very interesting with Jonathan Ross' straight interview with Stan Lee on the creation of Spider-Man being of particular note. Stan still thought he was the real creator but that he was more than ready to credit Ditko as co-creator because that's what Ditko wanted.

Other Highlights included Alan Moore reciting lyrics about Ditko that his band had wrote and a look at Jonathan Ross' extensive comic book collection!

The programme ended with Jonanthan Ross and Neil Gaiman trying to meet with Ditko himself. I had no idea that Ditko was such a recluse with only a handful of photos available of him. Standing outside his office building Ross phones Ditko and gives him heratfelt thanks and asks for an audience which Ditko refuses. At this point Ross asks Gaiman if he they should just go up and knock on his door anyway with out cameras and Gaiman, saying he's Speedy to his Green Arrow/Etta Candy to his Wonder Woman (!), agrees.

Twenty five minutes later the two return beaming having had a good long chat with Steve Ditko, great stuff

Anyone else catch this?

ddf
Marky View Post
That's cool of Stan to share credits with Steve, IMO! Technically speaking, Stan did come up with the Spider-Man idea, but if it weren't for Steve, then Stan's vision would have never been fulfilled as Stan's first choice (Jack Kirby) didn't fulfill what Stan had envisioned. Besides, Superman had two creators instead of one, so it doesn't hurt for Spider-man to have two creators (a writer and an artist) instead of one. However, even if Steve gets credit for a lot of things and even more, it will still be tough to get him to appear at a con as well as get involved in media projects due to him being so private.

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old September 17th, 2007   Thunderflash11 is offline   #6
Thunderflash11
Supreme Geoffan

I Missed it!!
But the good news is I taped the midnight repeat of it, so i'll probably watch it today.
I caught the last five minutes and it looked pretty cool.

Old September 17th, 2007   bholliday is offline   #7
bholliday

I watched it and it was great! Nice to see comics getting exposure on tv. Ross really knows his stuff, and his face was beaming after he met ditko.

Old September 17th, 2007   greenflameuk is offline   #8
greenflameuk
What Would Jack Bauer do?

damn i missed this last night, i'll have to check if it's repeated.

Listen To The iFanboy Pick Of The Week Podcast!!...It's Grrreat!!.
Old September 17th, 2007   Marky is offline   #9
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

What does Steve Ditko do these days? I figured he was some recluse in a retirement home somewhere. For some reason I picture him with Bruce Campbell's Elvis in Bubba Ho-Tep. Hiding out from everybody.
ddf
Jay West View Post
It wasn't made clear what Ditko does day to day but he has an office somewhere in LA (IIRC but it may have been NYC). They showed a black and white fanzine type book he had put out or contributed to relevantly recently but it wasn't made clear when that was put out.

Jonathan Ross did ask for a picture with him but he refused. Apparently Ross and Gaiman asked about the creation of Spider-Man and probably the movies but they both honoured his privacy and were quite smug in keeping thier newfound secrets! "The first rule about Ditko is you don't talk about Ditko!" said Ross

Heroes Reborn 2: V Neck Boogaloo!
Old September 17th, 2007   zooom! is offline   #10
zooom!

i only caught the last 20 mins!

will anybody upload it?

Old September 17th, 2007   zooom! is offline   #11
zooom!

ah repeat!

Thursday 20 September 12.30am-1.30am (Wednesday night)

Old September 17th, 2007   Jim Beard is offline   #12
Jim Beard
Batman '66 Lives!

Ditko has always had very strong philosophical, political, and societal opinions which have ket him a self-recluse, and many of which have been part of his the characters he's created over the years. I believe he's a big follower of Ayn Rand, too, if you want to gain some insight into his outlook.

Personally, I think there's a time where everyone has to at least acknowledge in some way the people that made you who you are. One interview here and there wouldn't kill him.

Jim!

Old September 17th, 2007   Angelschilde is offline   #13
Angelschilde*
Fletching in Sherwood

I knew next to nothing about Ditko and now I know why.

It's nice that Wossy and Gaiman got to meet him, and although it was a little peeving that they wouldn't say what he said, you have to honour the code

Makes me want to go and seek him out and be told a secret!!!!!!

I have to be honest though, halfway throught the documentary I was thinking "Wow, he is such a bizzaro" - simply because the impression I was getting was that his creations were tools to put across his views, rather than the light hearted fun fantastical creations I would expect of such people.

That takes nothing away from his contribution to Spider-Man. I can understand what Stan Lee was saying, but at the same time, even if you are a credit-hogger, I think he's a rude man.

Ditko doesn't help by being tucked away, but what's done is old and dusted, unless we want Superboy round two...

Very insightful.

Here's to the image of me reflected in your eyes.

COME TO THE HOME OF NIGHTWING!
http://www.nightwingfanclub.com/
Old September 17th, 2007   Lion Blade is offline   #14
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

Ditko has always had very strong philosophical, political, and societal opinions which have ket him a self-recluse, and many of which have been part of his the characters he's created over the years. I believe he's a big follower of Ayn Rand, too, if you want to gain some insight into his outlook.

Personally, I think there's a time where everyone has to at least acknowledge in some way the people that made you who you are. One interview here and there wouldn't kill him.

Jim!
ddf
Jim Beard View Post
I agree with you, Jim! Even Moore will do things here and there in regard to interviews and stuff, so Ditko should do (at least) few things per year in regard to either interviews or conventions.

I knew next to nothing about Ditko and now I know why.

It's nice that Wossy and Gaiman got to meet him, and although it was a little peeving that they wouldn't say what he said, you have to honour the code

Makes me want to go and seek him out and be told a secret!!!!!!

I have to be honest though, halfway throught the documentary I was thinking "Wow, he is such a bizzaro" - simply because the impression I was getting was that his creations were tools to put across his views, rather than the light hearted fun fantastical creations I would expect of such people.

That takes nothing away from his contribution to Spider-Man. I can understand what Stan Lee was saying, but at the same time, even if you are a credit-hogger, I think he's a rude man.

Ditko doesn't help by being tucked away, but what's done is old and dusted, unless we want Superboy round two...

Very insightful.
ddf
Angelschilde View Post
Who's the rude man ?

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old September 17th, 2007   Angelschilde is offline   #15
Angelschilde*
Fletching in Sherwood

Stan Lee - because he skirted around the Ditko/creating issue.

Here's to the image of me reflected in your eyes.

COME TO THE HOME OF NIGHTWING!
http://www.nightwingfanclub.com/
Old September 17th, 2007   Big Bad Voodoo Lou is offline   #16
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
I am the Law... Librarian

I recently read DC's Action Heroes Archive Volume 2, which reprints all of Ditko's Blue Beetle and Question comics from Charlton in the late '60s. It is very interesting to see how Vic Sage (and even Ted Kord, who we know so much better as a lighthearted, happy-go-lucky character from later writers) are mouthpieces for Ditko's objectivist views. While I mostly despise Ayn Rand and her philosophy, I have to give credit where credit is due and thank Ditko for creating or co-creating three of my all-time favorite characters (Blue Beetle, Question, and of course Spidey).

My website, including comics and toys for sale or trade: http://www.geocities.com/bigbadvoodoolou .