The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics > The Punisher

Old September 2nd, 2011   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Smile SPOILERS The Punisher issue #3 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

Even 10,000 feet above New York, no one escapes the Punisher. As Frank trails the criminal underbelly of the city, he encounters the deadly, mob created villain: THE VULTURE for a brutal battle against death and gravity. Meanwhile as NYPD detectives get closer to understanding Frank Castle’s new relationship, one of New York’s finest is struggling keep his own Punisher association untraceable.

STORY BY
Greg Rucka
ART BY
Marco Checchetto
COLORS BY
Matt Hollingsworth
LETTERS BY
VC - Joe Caramagna
COVER BY
Bryan Hitch, Paul Neary, Paul Mounts
PUBLISHER
Marvel Comics
COVER PRICE:
$2.99
RELEASE DATE
Wed, September 7th, 2011
ddf

Old September 7th, 2011   Jared465 is offline   #2
Jared465
Neo Geoffan

You know its funny, I read the first 2 issues, and I thought they were good reads, but they didn't really resonate enough for me to drop a line here. I was surprised to see how dead these boards have been since I haven't checked in awhile. Maybe stuff has moved over the Ether board, I’m not sure.

Anyways, I really liked this issue. A lot. It was a simple premise, but here is a perfect example that a simple premise well executed, can be thoroughly entertaining. I think this was the first issue where the art really elevated itself to the level necessary for the book to succeed. Rucka is obviously using sparse amount of prose, and that being the case, that art need not only be aesthetically good, but it needs to communicate. I think this is the 1st issue where Marco has achieved this. The fight was visceral, and the art was a great vehicle for that. In past issues, I think there were scenes where certain emotions or story elements were meant to be conveyed by the art, but just weren't working.

This is definitely a book that as Rucka is writing it, needs that synergy of what he is writing in his script to be conveyed on the page, whether emotion or action.

There are other little things that bug me about the art, like the photoshopped backgrounds, or the elements done in Google Sketchup. But that stuff is so prevalent right now, I guess it’s what you need to keep a schedule nowadays.

I suspect that some may not like this issue cause it reads so fast, but for me, 5 minutes of cream rather than 10 minutes of crap.

One last thing if you are checking in here, Greg. Have you checked out Lee Childs Kindle single? Man that was SO good. Various curious to hear if you have had a chance to check it out.

Old September 17th, 2011   chairhead is offline   #3
chairhead
Bee-Otch

This comics reads fast but it'll be nice to sit down with the entire first arc of issues and go back and read them al together. It's an awesome book and a different, and for me, more exciting take on the Punisher.

The Shadow knows!