The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old June 10th, 2007   The Scribe is offline   #1
The Scribe
Neo Geoffan

Default The Scarlet Spider.

He's back in The Initiative: Avengers #3.

He's wearing the Iron Spider armor.

There are two others with the same Iron Spider armor. Are they robots or are other heroes in them?

I can't remember if I said it on this site or not, but I did say it before that the Scarlet-Spider would be back in the Iron Spider armor.

Old June 10th, 2007   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #2
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

There are two others with the same Iron Spider armor. Are they robots or are other heroes in them?

I can't remember if I said it on this site or not, but I did say it before that the Scarlet-Spider would be back in the Iron Spider armor.
ddf
The Scribe View Post
tell me you're kidding.

Please...i didn't buy this, please tell me i didn't miss Ben Reilly.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old June 10th, 2007   ConnorFan is offline   #3
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

Ben Reily back?!? Please let it be true!!! I'm about to do a happy dance here folks.

Old June 10th, 2007   The Scribe is offline   #4
The Scribe
Neo Geoffan

tell me you're kidding.

Please...i didn't buy this, please tell me i didn't miss Ben Reilly.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
I'm not. Get out and buy it.

Avengers: The Initiative #3

Old June 10th, 2007   Scottifer is offline   #5
Scottifer
Cooler than you...

i thought they were all just called "the scarlet spiders" much like "alpha team" or "bravo team"

I don't have an ego, I just love how awesome I am.
Old June 10th, 2007   The Scribe is offline   #6
The Scribe
Neo Geoffan

i thought they were all just called "the scarlet spiders" much like "alpha team" or "bravo team"
ddf
Scottifer View Post
Yes, I said there were two others. But, one is Ben.

Post-Civil War, the Scarlet Spiders are a group of three unknown people of the Initiative who identify themselves as "Red Team" on the field, first appearing in Avengers: The Initiative #3. All three of them wear the 'Iron Spider' Stark armor which Spider-Man formerly wore pre-Civil War and during the event. During their first appearance, they took down the Shocker, Boomerang, and Hydro-Man. War Machine identifies them as "Scarlet Spiders" when contacting them. He has also implied that they will be the successors to the Spider-Man identity once Peter Parker's powers are removed permanently.
ddf
the Scarlet Spiders

Old June 10th, 2007   ConnorFan is offline   #7
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

o so maybe one of them is ben?

Old June 10th, 2007   ADGood is offline   #8
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I'm willing to stake money on, "no, it's not the original Ben Reilly." I would not, however, put it past Tony Stark to have, let's say, stolen a sample of Peter's DNA and used it to create Spider-clones, which he then put in the Iron Spidey armor (which, oddly enough, now has four extra legs coming out of the back instead of three...actually, the fact that it used to be three is the part that's odd). Spider-clones are easy to create, as we all know. You can do it in your garage with a combination of common household cleaning products, provided you have a sample of Peter Parker's DNA.

Basically, capturing the real Spider-Man is priority one. Also important, however, is the fact that Stark and company lost their poster boy. But, luckily for the Initiative, Spider-Man isn't a man; it's a mask (as far as they're concerned). Anyone can wear it. So - presto, new Spider-commandos, new poster-children.

It's a little like when the government put someone else in the Captain America suit after Steve Rogers quit due to disagreements with the administration's policies. And when I say, "a little," what I mean is, it's exactly like that. Eventually, people realized that USAgent could never really be Captain America, and Marvel itself learned in the 90's that only Peter Parker could ever really be Spider-Man. Tony and the Initiative just haven't learned that particular lesson yet. Though I was actually kind of fond of ol' Ben. Maybe they can have a clone dressed up as USpider.

Old June 11th, 2007   Leaf93 is offline   #9
Leaf93
Geoffan

Before people jump to conclusions, there was no indication whatsoever that any of the three "scarlet spiders" was Ben.

Read Noble Causes and Dynamo 5 or face the wrath of... um... that guy who has lots of wrath.
Old June 11th, 2007   ADGood is offline   #10
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

They're all Hawkeye.

Old June 11th, 2007   fabiank22 is offline   #11
fabiank22

They're all Hawkeye.
ddf
ADGood View Post
Bah, they are all distant relatives of Randy Robertson, that first appeard in Amazing Spider-Man v1 365.5, and nobody but john byrne knows.

Old June 12th, 2007   BenTinsley is offline   #12
BenTinsley

Default No it's not -- is it?

ddf
The Scribe View Post
Not to be critical or anything, but where did you get the slightest inkling --- even the smallest hint -- that one of them was Ben Reilly? I read the comic several times, once more after reading your post, and I can't see a trace of anything that would lead you to that conclusion.
Last edited by BenTinsley; June 12th, 2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Damn Scarlet Witch

Old June 12th, 2007   Human Bong is offline   #13
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Yeah, so far there is absolutely no reason to believe Ben is back. It seemed obvious that it was 3 highly trained soldiers in Iron Spider armor acting under the code name of 'Scarlet Spiders.' I'd like to see Ben again too, but let's not jump to conclusions.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old June 12th, 2007   Valheru1 is offline   #14
Valheru1

clearly not ben
and if it was - i'm pretty sure they would not have ignored how close him and peter were and would have had some interaction with the 2
ben is highly unlikeley to just turn his back on peter

ben/s spider was much preffered to me over peter/spiderman, but still dont think it will be him. i can see these scarley spiders been a sub plot for normie loosing his mind, rather than actually redeveloping the character

Old June 12th, 2007   Jay West is offline   #15
Jay West
Advanced Geoffan

The only chance that one of these are Ben is if Dan Slott is writing a Spider Man book in the future and wants to bring back Ben. I doubt that Ben would return if there wasn't a direct connection to a Spider book.

Old June 14th, 2007   nacho is offline   #16
nacho
just a superboy fan

i was just going to put up a post to see if there were any hints if scarlet spider/ben reilly would come back i dont collect marvel but if he was coming back then i would start collecting everything he was in.