The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 22nd, 2015   Call Me El is offline   #1
Call Me El
Geoffan

Default Some DC titles to go bi-weekly

http://www.newsarama.com/27269-repor...y-in-2016.html

I don't know about you but I only have a certain amount of money. I may have to drop some titles if they expect me to buy more than twice as many of others.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old December 23rd, 2015   hurri-fan is offline   #2
hurri-fan
Advanced Geoffan

I don't read many DC titles much anymore to begin with. I understand a large contingent will keep getting their books, but this is kind of turning me off of DC even further. Gotta wait and see if the titles I get are gonna go bi-weekly.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-M...7413068?ref=hl

Check out some of the comedy stuff I do, why dont'cha?
Old December 23rd, 2015   ronaldj is offline   #3
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

they make it harder and harder to keep supporting them

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old December 23rd, 2015   Amentep is offline   #4
Amentep

If its a series I really love, I'll keep getting it. If it was one at the bottom of the stack - a title I enjoy reading but am not currently strongly invested in - might slip out of my buy pile.

My guess though is this will be titles I don't read (Batman, Superman)

Old December 23rd, 2015   SamIAm is offline   #5
SamIAm
Geoffan

I think Batman will be one of the bi weekly titles, Maybe one or two other top selling titles as well.

I'm not reading much DC these days but this will make it easier for me to drop stuff I'm not hugely into or enjoying all that much.

Old December 23rd, 2015   superfriend is offline   #6
superfriend
laughs at comics

generally speaking, this kind of thing makes it harder to maintain quality and consistency but darn if they won't make more money off those old fans who have to buy 'em all.

it's interesting to see the appeal by Marvel and DC to the new guard only to come to find out that the new guard is much more casual/spastic in their penchant for sticking with something once it hits a rough patch. the new generation doesn't seem to be afflicted by the same things that held the older fans in sway through thick and thin.

it's kind of hilarious.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old December 23rd, 2015   John is offline   #7
John

I was buying about 25 DC books every month. The price mixed with the total crap writing and art made me give them up altogether, except for Titans Hunt. I don't mind paying for a comic with good art and a good story. Honstly, ever since the "New 52", DC has really blown chuncks. All the multiple ad after ad makes me think I'm reading a Marvel. Pick up a DC comic from circa 2000 and you will see the difference.

Old December 24th, 2015   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #8
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

I don't put very much stock into this given the source, but I'd prefer this to Marvel's annual #1 all new-all different all-the-same-crap relaunches, at least.

I wonder how they'd do it. A regular creative team most likely couldn't keep up the quality with that schedule. So do you have half the book be one team, the other half be another? Or do you alternate issues and tell two stories simultaneously? Either way seems to cause some pacing issues, I think.

Old December 24th, 2015   leonmallett is offline   #9
leonmallett
comics fan

I don't put very much stock into this given the source, but I'd prefer this to Marvel's annual #1 all new-all different all-the-same-crap relaunches, at least.

I wonder how they'd do it. A regular creative team most likely couldn't keep up the quality with that schedule. So do you have half the book be one team, the other half be another? Or do you alternate issues and tell two stories simultaneously? Either way seems to cause some pacing issues, I think.
ddf
WeirdoLegionnaire View Post
[Emphasis mine]

Arguably many writers could manage one book every two weeks or so, especially given those writers who are proven to be able to handle 2, 3, or 4 books in a month on a regular basis. Those writers doing comic books alongside other writing (TV, novels, games) may struggle of course.

As for artist, how many arcs have the same artist throughout these days? yes many do, but just as many seem not to in my experience, so varied artists across several issues is very much a common thing these days.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old December 24th, 2015   John is offline   #10
John

Not sure why/how I double posted, sorry. Uh and it's "chunks" not "chuncks". No edit button here?

Old December 25th, 2015   JRM is offline   #11
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

generally speaking, this kind of thing makes it harder to maintain quality and consistency but darn if they won't make more money off those old fans who have to buy 'em all.

it's interesting to see the appeal by Marvel and DC to the new guard only to come to find out that the new guard is much more casual/spastic in their penchant for sticking with something once it hits a rough patch. the new generation doesn't seem to be afflicted by the same things that held the older fans in sway through thick and thin.

it's kind of hilarious.
ddf
superfriend View Post
Yup - but once an old guard type packs it in, they are pretty much gone for good.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old December 25th, 2015   JRM is offline   #12
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

ddf
WeirdoLegionnaire View Post
My thoughts exactally, especially the general trend for trade-based arcs lasting 5 to 8 issues. Yes, anything is possible, but it seems to have a lot of potential for heartache.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old December 25th, 2015   jafabian is offline   #13
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Not sure why/how I double posted, sorry. Uh and it's "chunks" not "chuncks". No edit button here?
ddf
John View Post
I've seen you've been having some issues posting. I'm limited in what I can do since I'm not an admin but I'm going to pass on to Spoon what I've seen from your posts. You might try a different browser and/or server and see if that makes a difference.

Old January 5th, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #14
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Seems like the bi-weekly thing will mean more single issues with random pages rendered or finished by multiple artists. That's not the worst thing in the world, but sometimes it really detracts from the overall experience, especially if it's not done as an intentional story device. DC's insistence on shipping on time seems to have led to that happening even in regular monthly books, which is good or bad depending on how much one values timeliness, I suppose.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old January 7th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

Seems like the bi-weekly thing will mean more single issues with random pages rendered or finished by multiple artists. That's not the worst thing in the world, but sometimes it really detracts from the overall experience, especially if it's not done as an intentional story device. DC's insistence on shipping on time seems to have led to that happening even in regular monthly books, which is good or bad depending on how much one values timeliness, I suppose.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I think the better way to do it would be to have two artists rotating arcs. If the writer can have two story arcs done so art production can overlap, there should be no reason to have multiple artists on an issue.

Old January 11th, 2016   Penny Dreadful is offline   #16
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

it's kind of hilarious.
ddf
superfriend View Post
I'm curious: who is this "new guard"? And how would you define "old guard"? There are people born post-COIE who would call themselves "old guard," but DC certainly doesn't think so. They seem to define "old guard" as Silver/Bronze age fans.

A non sequitur, I know. But DC has desperately wanted that old guard back. Did they get what they wanted, after all?

Topic? I read this news and think about Earth 2: World's End, Future's End, and Countdown to Final Crisis. 52 was the only weekly series from DC that anyone liked. Is there a reason they keep doing this?

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.