The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old October 13th, 2015   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #33
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

I'm getting caught up on about a month's worth of books, but here's some stuff that's stuck out to me.

Doctor Fate 4 - I love the art, and it's not BADLY written in any way, but I would love for this to actually get to some action. We have all the players in place, there's a huge conflict - but it just keeps dragging. Not a book I'll drop any time soon, but they need to pick up the pace for the next story arc.

Batman Annual 4 - Loved it. I'm really enjoying the amnesiac Bruce Wayne story as a whole. Good art, nice one and done story, and I enjoyed the teamup between Riddler, Freeze, and Clayface quite a bit.

Justice League 44 - Still continues to be awesome, and the first title I read whenever I pick up my books. Really enjoyable stuff, nice to get the New Gods in a major storyline, and I'm hooked on what happens next.

Old October 14th, 2015   starks is offline   #34
starks
Geoffan

Yeah, Justice League is always the first title I read too.

With Batman, how do you like Bruce not being Batman? Having Gordon be Batman doesn't suit me at all.

Old October 15th, 2015   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #35
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Yeah, Justice League is always the first title I read too.

With Batman, how do you like Bruce not being Batman? Having Gordon be Batman doesn't suit me at all.
ddf
starks View Post
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. At first I was skeptical, but they've exceeded my expectations. Gordon's personality is very different, he's a completely different kind of Batman, and that's all acknowledged in the book.

I'm also a sucker for any kind of sci-fi or super science stuff in my books, and there's been a lot of that since Gordon became Batman.

Old October 15th, 2015   starks is offline   #36
starks
Geoffan

Do you think he was the right choice to fill the role?

Old October 19th, 2015   starks is offline   #37
starks
Geoffan

Red Hood / Arsenal #5: Arsenal brings his MacGuffin arrow to battle Underbelly, as he & Red Hood battle with and against Gordon-Bats. The story overall was good, a lot of introspective from Jason. The end of this issue is very interesting also, with an abrupt appearance by The Joker's Daughter. Looking forward to see next month's issue.

Batman Beyond #5: Good issue, a good pace to things. Interested to see what Tim unlocks at this issue's end to battle Eye.

Cyborg #3: This issue just made a jarring jump, from getting lattes in the last issue to a full out war with the technosapiens in this one. I think I'll give this title one more issue to see if it's worth my time & money any longer. I don't know what will go first, the writer or this title. This title is a big disappointment.

Old October 26th, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #38
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Justice League #45
A nice breather issue, but I'm a little nervous about how long the Darkseid War may drag on. I don't want to be screaming "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY" by the end.

Superman/Wonder Woman #(?)
Interesting turn of events; not sure how they'll sustain this title minus the romance, but manages to stay interesting. The in-fighting among the supporting cast also seems well-motivated (a la Lana vs. Lois). Nice read.

Wonder Woman 45
Did NOT see the ending coming. Wondering whether this may play into events in Titans Hunt, as I suspect this isn't Donna's first life and there may be more.

Green Lantern 45 I added this title back to my list after Convergence, but may pull it back off soon. I don't mind the periodic change in the status quo, but this is another installment of a character I don't recognize, with a supporting cast I don't care about. THIS Hal may as well never have been born on Earth, and is only tenuously a Lantern.

Titans Hunt 1
I already waxed nostalgic about this in another thread, so I'll just say it was my favorite read of the week.

Teen Titans 12 (?)
As a longtime Titans reader, I have to say I've found the entire nu52 run unfathomable. Lobdell back on the title this ish made a little more sense out of this incarnation, but the characters are still flat out unlikeable.
Superboy: I can't have real feelings, I'm a super-weapon.
Me: Okay, so no reason I'll ever buy a Superboy book...the Connor I liked is clearly gone.
BART: Hi, I'm inexplicably back from the future where I was imprisoned; oh and just so I don't forget, I left Solstice there who's doing time now for my crime (long story).
Me: Wow, Bart's a sincere jerk. <-Nice word for what I really wanted to say.
Tim: We need to stay together because we're friends...even though we only demonstrated that about once in the old run, and mostly act like battle-hardened commandoes.
Me: None of these people are teens, they're all Deathstroke with botox.
Harvest: I'm baaaaack.
Me: Did you ever leave? I had to check the issue number to see how many issues we'd gone without beating this dead horse...hmmm, issue 12, so that makes it 11. OH GOD WHY DO I PICK UP THIS TITLE?! !!!
(And scene).
Last edited by [email protected]; October 26th, 2015 at 02:47 PM.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old October 27th, 2015   starks is offline   #39
starks
Geoffan

Green Lantern 45 I added this title back to my list after Convergence, but may pull it back off soon. I don't mind the periodic change in the status quo, but this is another installment of a character I don't recognize, with a supporting cast I don't care about. THIS Hal may as well never have been born on Earth, and is only tenuously a Lantern.

Titans Hunt 1
I already waxed nostalgic about this in another thread, so I'll just say it was my favorite read of the week.
ddf
I can't begin to understand what the thought process was to change Hal as much as they did. I read an interview on it, & still came away not understanding what the reason was other than they just felt like it and had no other reason beyond that.

It's just funny that in Justice League he looks like old regular Hal/Green Lantern.

As for Titans Hunt, I'm going to wait until it's collected.

Old November 2nd, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #40
[email protected]

Caught up on more reading this weekend...

Batman Annual
I'm normally not a big fan of the "put someone else in the suit" trope, but so far this is still clicking for me here. Bruce Wayne roaming around Wayne Manor and NOT knowing all it's secrets was a lot of fun. Also enjoying the use of Julie Madison as a supporting player. Any Bruce romance is always doomed, but this is playing out nicely.

Green Arrow #45/Annual
No idea where this series is going. Seriously. I added this back to my pull list when I saw they were bringing in Diggle and Felicity. Then Convergence happened, all that is dropped, and they seem to be wandering aimlessly. While the Flash book very succesfully makes use of the supporting cast and creates synergy with the TV show, this book does the opposite much to it's detriment. Everything that is RIGHT about the TV show is what's wrong with this book. I really scratched my head after reading this one afterward and asked "what's the point???"

Aquaman #45
I hadn't minded the new run (although not up to par with Johns and Parker's runs), but now it's seriously getting off track. After so many misguided runs in the past, it is hard to see someone finally "get it" and then see all that thrown out again. I think I can be more forgiving when big chances like this are taken with Batman or Superman, since there is more history of getting it right. Here I just get more angry that they're screwing it up again. Sigh.

Old November 3rd, 2015   starks is offline   #41
starks
Geoffan

Bunn's off the title. So perhaps there's hope. Will be reading the issue in the next day or so, will comment specifically on that later.

Old November 5th, 2015   starks is offline   #42
starks
Geoffan

Aquaman #45: Don't know what this title is even about anymore. This was one of the dumbest issues I've read in a long time. Geoff Johns & Company can't come back soon enough. I dropped this from my pull, but will be back when Geoff does his "Rise of the Seven Seas" story (if it's in this title, of course).

Cyborg #4: This title needs a new writer fast or this title won't be around for long. In this issue David Walker writes Vic Stone as an arrogant jackoff and brings in more stupid alien creatures for his Terminator-ish storyline. Giving this a couple more issues to see if he can right the ship or otherwise this title will be dropped as well.

Martian Manhunter #5: Nothing to see here folks as Rob Williams is continuing the split personality thing still. I had so much high hopes for this title. If he doesn't wrap things up by next issue, I might just drop it. It's getting laborious.

Sinestro #16: This is a title I hope Bunn sticks with, as right now this title is gold. Very interesting reveal at the end of this issue.

Deathstroke #11: Another well written title with strong artwork. Tyler Kirkham is one of my favorites, although his proportions of the character revealed on the last page was a bit out of whack. I'm enjoying this title quite a bit.

The Flash #45: Another title I'm enjoying on a monthly basis. Looks like Zoom is going to turn on his team, have to see who survives.

Batman & Robin Eternal #'s 1-4: Very good start for this weekly (getting this on a monthly basis, so four issues at a time). I enjoyed every issue. I might have to check out the We are Robin title, as their inclusion in the story was really well done.

Justice League #45: Probably the worst issue of this storyline, not because of the writing--which I thought was solid, maybe not grandiose, but solid nonetheless--but because of the art by Francis Manapul. It's just not dynamic enough.

Justice League - The Darkseid War: Batman #1: Now this is art I want to see, and the story was great.

Old November 19th, 2015   starks is offline   #43
starks
Geoffan

Red Hood / Arsenal #5: Looks like the "Hero Manifest" group didn't amount to much, especially with The Joker's Daughter (TJD) intro to the title. I liked the issue, but thought the buildup for these villains was lost. Maybe the Robin War event messed things up, don't know, but seems like a bit of a waste.

Will have to see how TJD's addition to the team affects the title. Will we find out who she is and given a back story?

Will be interesting to see if Jason equates his time with her with his time when he took Professor Pyg's lackey under his wings.

Batman Beyond #5: Interesting conclusion to this story arc. But I have to wonder, where does Tim go from here? Back to the past, or stay in this future? Don't know if this title is made to last long or not. Guess we'll find out.

Old December 1st, 2015   starks is offline   #44
starks
Geoffan

Batman & Robin Eternal #'s 5-8: The first few pages of Steve Orlando's script in issue #5 were good, but when we get to the part where Dick Grayson goes to see the Drakes, well this just baffled me.

Issue #4 ended with Tim on the phone saying, "Hello, mother." Perhaps it was trickery Orlando was trying to employ, to make the reader think Tim was talking to the story's antagonist when he was actually talking to his own mother, Janet Drake.

But the story itself just didn't lead to that conclusion, as there was no time for that type of conversation to take place between Janet & Tim. If we would have seen Janet Drake talking on the phone when her husband answered the door (or if she answered the door), then THAT would've made sense. Of course, this could've happened "off panel" but for me, the execution of this really fell flat.

Why Grayson needed to go to the parents' home to begin with (which we saw in issue #4), didn't make sense to me. I get the explanation in the issue, but I really think they just wanted to put some Grayson/Spyral into the mix in this storyline. That whole fight scene was a loss for me as well, since not reading the title, just took me out of this storyline temporarily.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the overall storyline in this month's issues, and the storyline as a whole thus far. I like that we see the villain early on and that we're getting more information & backstory as this event progresses.

Final nitpick: Don't like seeing The Orphan losing his hand, though. Seen so much of this lately in comics, nonsensical maiming and whathaveyou, that I'm just tired of seeing it. It's getting to be cliché.

Justice League: The Darkseid War (Green Lantern, The Flash, Superman & Shazam: grouping all of these one-shots together, as I thoroughly enjoyed each. Some really good storytelling, and some interesting backstory for Darkseid in the Shazam one-shot especially. I can't wait 'til Justice League #46.

Martian Manhunter #6: Felt like this issue was well done & moved the storyline along (finally). Actually looking forward to the next issue, as I was ready to drop this title. This issue was really well written.

Sinestro #17: I'm just enjoying this title a lot. Bunn is delivering the goods here. Sinestro, Black Adam, & Wonder Woman -- what's not to like?

Just don't know why there are so many pencillers & inkers for one issue (which is happening in Batman & Robin Eternal too).

Deathstroke #12: Deathstroke & Harley trying to find Waller, who herself is encountering a new villain named Snakebite. Good issue overall.

Just don't know why a snake has tendrils, but I admit that I don't know everything about snakes. Forgive my ignorance.

The Flash #46: Zoom's team learns of his deception & turn the tables on him with an interesting end to this issue.

I'm just enjoying a lot from DC right now, and this title is no exception.

Old December 2nd, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #45
[email protected]

Batman & Robin Eternal #'s 7-8:
So far enjoying this series a lot, and the focus on the Robins.
Really enjoyed the Bluebird & Cass at the ballet sequence.

Justice League: The Darkseid War (Green Lantern, The Flash, Superman & Shazam: Enjoyed these one shots more than I thought I would, the Shazam special in particular. Why oh why is there STILL not a Shazam ongoing??????

Wonder Woman #46:
Liked the resolution to the whole God of War thing. I don't care for a Diana who carries too many titles...it's what made the pre-52 version so hard to write well. I think this was a good step. Scratching my head a little over the Donna resolution, but, umm...ok?

Teen Titans #12:
Manchester Black and the Elite are gone...THANK GOD. Now let's see if the title can become readable again.

Titans Hunt#2:
Definitely a slow burn on this one...they're writing the characters pretty well...but hopefully the pace will pick up sooner rather than later.

The Flash #46:
Still one of my fave reads, and the synergy between screen and comic helps as well. Am enjoying the use of Henry Allen since he's mostly done nothing for the last 10 years but sit in jail.
Last edited by [email protected]; December 2nd, 2015 at 02:37 PM.

Old December 2nd, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #46
[email protected]

PS. Also really enjoyed the latest issue of Supergirl...oh, wait.

DC, how can the TV show have put together a great iconic version of Supergirl in a few episodes that has gotten great ratings...but the comic still can't figure it out.

Hint: the show is giving us exactly what we've wanted all along...
1. A NICE, likeable Kara.
2. History with the Danvers.
3. Her own supporting cast-which is also neither Aliens or limited to other costumed characters. (Remember those 2 seconds in the pre-52 when she went to work under a secret i.d. and it all clicked? Well, I do).
4. A confident Kara, but one who also shows her youth.

Get on it DC. Hopefully when she reappears we'll learn Clark set her up with his friends the Danvers as a host family, and you'll be smart enough to add Alex as a supporting player too.

All ready to add it to my pull list...you say when...

Old December 2nd, 2015   Amentep is offline   #47
Amentep

It does seem when I've read the recent Supergirl that every time they tried to establish a supporting cast (do editors not realize how important they are for books?) that they would pull a status quo change leaving the proto-supporting cast behind.

Old December 2nd, 2015   flashsuper is offline   #48
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

It does seem when I've read the recent Supergirl that every time they tried to establish a supporting cast (do editors not realize how important they are for books?) that they would pull a status quo change leaving the proto-supporting cast behind.
ddf
Amentep View Post
That just shows how good of a writer that they aren't when they can't use what is there and build upon it.

I have had a rebirth.