The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 2nd, 2015   BrianT is offline   #1
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Default Gotham By Midnight

I just jumped on GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT with the latest issue, #6. Concept in a nutshell: Jim Corrigan (human host of The Spectre) leads the Midnight Shift, a special unit of the GCPD focused on paranormal activity.

I think the issue made a fairly good entry point and Juan Ferreyra's art style is well suited for this type of book.

And there's the real reason I picked this issue up: It introduces Kate Spencer into the post- Flashpoint DCU.

http://www.examiner.com/review/gotha...ernal-judgment

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old July 6th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #2
Amentep

I enjoyed the issue; picked up the threads of the first five issues and kept plugging along. I really like this series.

Old July 6th, 2015   BrianT is offline   #3
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

This is my first foray into this series, though I read BATMAN ETERNAL Volume 1, so am familiar with Fawkes' Jim Corrigan. I'll likely stick around as long as Kate Spencer is involved and at least until we see Ferreyra's Spectre.

Subscribe to my page
Old August 28th, 2015   BrianT is offline   #4
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Hoping to see Ferreyra get the chance to render some more established DCU characters (Solomon Grundy?). Shame he didn't get to handle the Gentleman Ghost's appearance in the recent Annual.

The Spectre being the team's greatest asset, as well as danger is a compelling component of the series. Couple that with Ferreyra's art and a continued role for Kate Spencer and I'm onboard with this series.

Review of #8:
http://www.examiner.com/review/the-n...-by-midnight-8

Subscribe to my page
Old October 14th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #5
Amentep

Read 8 & 9; they're really packing on the trouble for our crew.

Old November 4th, 2015   BrianT is offline   #6
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I really can not stress enough how amazing Ferreyra's work is on this book. Go read #10 and see how fantastic that car chase scene is. This title may be ending, but it's worth it to check out the remaining issues.

Subscribe to my page
Old November 13th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

Yeah I liked the Annual, but Ferreya was missed.

I can't help but wonder if the title might have fared better with Ferreya as artist; Ben Templesmith can be an acquired taste (I talked to at least one person whose interest was killed by Templesmith's art). Ferreya matches with the expected DC art and "feel" I think people would look for picking up a DC comic.

Old February 19th, 2016   Face Hugger is offline   #8
Face Hugger

This sounds good, along with the glowing comments I'm going to add it to my list of trades to catch up on.

An aside: do you all recommend The Doom that Came to Gotham? I like Lovecraft, Mignola, and Batman, so this seems up my alley - but I haven't seen any opinions about it, and I am guessing it's similar in tone to this book.