The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

View Poll Results: Which version of the DCU would you like to see coming out of next year's event(s)?
Old DCU 34 70.83%
New 52 3 6.25%
Combination of the two 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 30th, 2014   thbriboy is offline   #1
thbriboy

Default For the win: New 52 vs. DCU (poll)

I know there's isn't a shortage of locations to argue for or against the New 52, but I'm really curious to just get a simple vote count and see if it's a vocal minority or something more. Plus, I figure with all the stories planned for next year that could potentially shake things up, now would be the time for readers to voice their opinions (because it's no secret that DC has a history of changing storylines in reaction to readers, *Armageddon 2001*, *Nightwing's death in Infinite Crisis*).

So, can of worms time: which would you prefer to have around after the potential shakeups of the year to come? The old DCU, the New 52, or some combination? Comments optional.

If anyone needs me, I'll be hangin' out BEYOND PHOBOS!
Old October 30th, 2014   thbriboy is offline   #2
thbriboy

I'll say right now: I dearly miss most of the old DCU (especially the legacies and relationships that are now nonexistent). And let's not be fooled, DC knows that it's rich history is where it's bread is buttered (why else would DC draw so heavily upon its pre-reboot history for all it's REAL moneymakers, the TV shows, movies, and video games?).

But... Some characters have undeniably been improved in the New 52. I would love to see Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen remember that they were best friends for years, but at the same time I don't want to lose the new Arrow Cave gang.

If anyone needs me, I'll be hangin' out BEYOND PHOBOS!
Old October 30th, 2014   ronaldj is offline   #3
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

I voted old but just give me some good stories....

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old October 31st, 2014   Lucifer complex is offline   #4
Lucifer complex
expressway to Hell

A mixture could be good,but I also vote for some solid stories. And stop with these major cross-overs for at least one year.

Old October 31st, 2014   Jorge Galvan is offline   #5
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

the REAL DC Universe, where Clark Kent's best friend is Pete Ross and he wears a red sweater as a teenager! Where Bat-Mite hangs out with the Dynamic Duo, whether they like it or not! Where The Golden Eagle is a screw up and a member of TITANS WEST!! Where Ma Hunkel makes the best damn Berry Pie!! Where Red Tornado's creator T O Morrow was once SPLIT into TWO seperate entities!! Where Green Lantern once had a alien Genie in his ring!! Where sadly, Terry Sloan lost his life in a crappy pick up story, that was unresolved for years and even then given a crap ending, until John Ostrander did someting about it... Where Captain Comet was the ONLY real super Hero in the 1950's and NAMED his rocket ship: the COMETEER!! Where Superman ended up in the 30th century with AMBUSH BUG as a stoleaway and he entrusts the Legion of Substitute Heroes to guard him... yeah we all know how that worked out!!

YOU GET THE BLEEDIN POINT!!!

Old October 31st, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #6
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

No shocker, I voted old.

Actually, DC would have to either go WILDLY creator-driven, dumping continuity with the sole focus placed on great comics by the top creators in the business with little-to-no editorial interference, or go all the way back to a pre-Crisis, iconic all-ages-style line to rekindle my interest in their product.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old October 31st, 2014   Astro@work is offline   #7
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I voted mix.

Confusing continuity is mostly gone now, I don't want that back. But what I DO want back:
-Donna Troy
-JSA founded in the golden age, with legacies now.
-Dick/Donna/Wally/Garth/Roy as the Teen Titan founders (if not the current roster in younger incarnations).
-Raven not dressed as a bird.
(Please, God, lose that bird helmet!!!)

I'm okay with the current incarnation of the JL, and the "updated" versions of WW and Aquaman.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old October 31st, 2014   Scott Mateo is offline   #8
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Old DCU. Thankfully, DC Universe Online is still all about the old DCU. They just added the Kirby New Gods!

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old October 31st, 2014   Keith Dallas is offline   #9
Keith Dallas
At a Hockey Game

Old.

Old October 31st, 2014   JRM is offline   #10
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I would have adapted if there was more that was appealing to my tastes. What they gained, was not worth the loss of what they blindly tossed aside. So all in all (with a very few exceptions) have to make it the more or less the pre-Inf Crisis status quo.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old October 31st, 2014   Alan is offline   #11
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

If you are going to do something, do it. We are only three years in to the new thing, some of its good, some not so good, but it's certainly no worse than things were before. Three years is too soon to change drastically again. I miss parts of the old DCU as well but much of what I liked was long gone anyway. There isn't one DCU to go back to, there are several. I like my 60's and 70's DCU as much as the next fanatic, but we aren't going back there any time soon. I like a lot of the 80's stuff too, but that isn't where my heart is.

Jorge mentions Golden Eagle above as part of the 'real' DCU, and he is a character that barely registers with me at all. Captain Comet was only the only hero in the 50's in a certain revised timeline. As we know, as it played out there were many.

And Bat-Mite was pretty much expunged from Bat-history along with the original Batwoman as soon as Schwartz took over in 1964.

Different parts mean different things to us. I'd be reasonably happy if they rebooted to a New Frontier DCU, but that would be unsustainable going forward as you have to stay current.

But I am looking forward to them bringing back characters in the two month break - even if we probAbly never see them again!

Old November 1st, 2014   hurri-fan is offline   #12
hurri-fan
Advanced Geoffan

Please, please, please. Give me old DCU. I haven't been reading since the NU 52 began

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-M...7413068?ref=hl

Check out some of the comedy stuff I do, why dont'cha?
Old November 4th, 2014   Mackaybear is offline   #13
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I voted mixed. Though I mostly prefer 'Old DC' there have been some good come with Nu DC. WW is better than its been in awhile and Batman continues
to be good.

DC needs a consistent plan and approach. Warner Brothers finally got on for their DC films. Now its time for DC Comics to get one.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old November 5th, 2014   superfriend is offline   #14
superfriend
laughs at comics

New52 has kinda killed my interest in the line as a whole. i'm riding out WW and Swamp Thing and doing Multiversity but there ain't much else i even feel compelled to try.

i liked how even though the universe got rebooted or altered from time to time it seemed to build on what was before and evolve. the New52 doesn't play nice with DC history and that's a big turn off.

DC isn't quite as fun or weird or rich as it used to be for me. eh

observe everything, admire nothing
Old November 5th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

I really don't care to be honest; if the stories are to my liking I'll read it regardless of continuity because (ultimate) the only continuity that should be important when reading a comic is the continuity of the comic you're reading (if that makes sense).

Ultimately my problems with the New 52 haven't actually been about the reboot (per se) so much as the heavy editorial decisions that have made the line feel "the same" in each book, and that makes it impossible in some places to just read one book and enjoy it. Or when you could it was all grim tone (or, in the case of Demon Knights - grim action and people trying to drop pithy one liners).

There have been some bright spots, though, and some of the recent solicitations have made me think that some of the dictatorial editorship is going away I may enjoy more of the line than I have been.

Old November 5th, 2014   superfriend is offline   #16
superfriend
laughs at comics

not to derail the subject, but hopefully to keep conversation going...

from a character standpoint, who do you think the winners and losers were with the reboot?

i think Superman was terribly botched (even with the dream of Morrison on an in-continuity Superman book happening). and i really liked Superman. Loser

Winner=Batman. beyond the defacto flagship status that Batman pretty much enjoyed anyway, it seems like the entire line has taken on the grim tone of the Dark Knight Detective. and outside of the weird Robin compression thing, Batman was virtually untouched by the reboot. the Bat-titles are legion and they appear to have some of the best talent DC has committed to them.

unfortunately, even before Morrison (and he got me to follow along) i was very done with Batman.

so it almost seems like me and the reboot just weren't meant to be.

how bout you?

observe everything, admire nothing