The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old June 2nd, 2014   Amentep is offline   #49
Amentep

I think part of the reason digital doesn't appeal to me is I like the experience of reading comics. And old comics certainly have their own charm (particularly when they're not secretly heavily water damaged, which is a different experience entirely!) in that respect!

Old June 2nd, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #50
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

I think part of the reason digital doesn't appeal to me is I like the experience of reading comics. And old comics certainly have their own charm (particularly when they're not secretly heavily water damaged, which is a different experience entirely!) in that respect!
ddf
Amentep View Post
I'm in the same boat as you....I want to hold a comic and turn the pages....not scroll through a comic on a screen.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 2nd, 2014   HushedRuin is offline   #51
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

The unhappy-with-DC snark and griping seems to have calmed down to a level that I find it hard to believe would still bother anyone. It's not like people are blasting threads about specific issues of titles and disrupting conversations about stories with broad-condemnations of DC as a whole (at least not very often).

It took a while for some people to "get over it". How long will it take for others (not directed at you) to grow a thicker skin and/or learn how to laugh at humorously-framed jabs at DC (or any other company)? The negativity regarding the New 52 is very tame at this point, or so it seems to me.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I agree that things are good NOW. However, if we're looking at "what happened to this place?", then I think that negativity/nu-boot drove some people away.

Scott Mateo's posts have been mostly links to articles elsewhere, often critical of DC, but also often provided without bombastic condemnations of everything DC. They certainly haven't been insulting to those who are enjoying the New 52.
ddf
I was commenting less on Scott's links (which are fine, on their own), moreso what happens INSIDE those threads.

Things are certainly better now though, very much agreed on that point.

What does the fact that people seem to be largely excited by indy titles you've never heard of have to do with "snark/near-trolling"? Who is "near-trolling" lately? I just don't see it.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Nothing against indy titles at all. I may have missed typing a connecting thought.

It was more about the seeming lack of thread-starters. People are enjoying indy titles that I don't see getting discussed. That was the point I was trying to make.

People actually do discuss the indy books a decent bit here lately. Granted, it's a small group, but the whole Bloc seems to be a small group nowadays.
ddf
Yeah, it's coming around. I like it and very much encourage discussion of whatever you guys are enjoying.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old June 3rd, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #52
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Me too. I'd have to turn those pages and smell that ancient ink and newsprint.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
That smell is called "old people smell". Lol.

Old June 3rd, 2014   JRM is offline   #53
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

That smell is called "old people smell". Lol.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Oddly enough, for most projects (there are exceptions), I actually prefer the older paper quality of the late 80's or so.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old June 3rd, 2014   ronaldj is offline   #54
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

“that smell is called old people” at first is was going to post I am old and don’t smell very good……referring to the working of the nose then I reread the sentence and thought that doesn’t sound very good, so I am old and do not smell very good…take it how you want…but I do love the smell of old comics in the morning…..

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old June 3rd, 2014   TJLamb0518 is offline   #55
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

TJ Lamb?
ddf
Mackaybear View Post

While true, you all didn't make me a mod as many people demanded (not ME, of course. I never would've taken the gig), I think the most salient point in this thread is that this board NEEDS to evolve to stay alive. Stop catering to Geoff and a few other DC centric writers (who NEVER POST HERE ANYWAY) or any specific pro and make it about comics. Heck, I'd take the suggestion to remove those sections and focus on DC, Marvel and Indies one step further....one solid COMICS forum. Someone mentioned a friend who only reads Batman. Well, if all the comics are being discussed in one forum and that person sees a thread on.....Hawkeye or Green Hornet for example, maybe that sparks a little interest.

Let's stop catering to promoting companies and start promoting the industry as a whole.

Not to say you're wrong. I do, in fact, rock. It's a scientific fact.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 3rd, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #56
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

While true, you all didn't make me a mod as many people demanded (not ME, of course. I never would've taken the gig), I think the most salient point in this thread is that this board NEEDS to evolve to stay alive. Stop catering to Geoff and a few other DC centric writers (who NEVER POST HERE ANYWAY) or any specific pro and make it about comics. Heck, I'd take the suggestion to remove those sections and focus on DC, Marvel and Indies one step further....one solid COMICS forum. Someone mentioned a friend who only reads Batman. Well, if all the comics are being discussed in one forum and that person sees a thread on.....Hawkeye or Green Hornet for example, maybe that sparks a little interest.

Let's stop catering to promoting companies and start promoting the industry as a whole.

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
So you don't roll then. That's highly disappointing.

Disappointment aside, I will not try to focus on my now broken heart, this site does need to evolve. The posters are slowly dropping away and the new ones we get don't make up for the traffic we lose. Cannot one or two of the ModMen email the ones with the keys to the kingdom and let someone that has any knowledge of this type of stuff change things up a bit? Things, like the creator stuff, need to disappear. The lack of involvement makes the site look like my neighbor's untended flower bed that had the same exact open bag of potting soil sitting next to the flower bed for months and months and months.

Then with a new and improved website maybe we can, well I don't have any contacts, but some of you might be in email contact with older posters that might be enticed into coming back.

Jfab...ChrisB...Mackay...can any mod contact those admins to either get involved again or let others try to improve things?

I have had a rebirth.
Old June 3rd, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #57
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I think one unified thread could work.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 3rd, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #58
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I agree that things are good NOW. However, if we're looking at "what happened to this place?", then I think that negativity/nu-boot drove some people away.

I was commenting less on Scott's links (which are fine, on their own), moreso what happens INSIDE those threads.

Things are certainly better now though, very much agreed on that point.

Nothing against indy titles at all. I may have missed typing a connecting thought.

It was more about the seeming lack of thread-starters. People are enjoying indy titles that I don't see getting discussed. That was the point I was trying to make.

Yeah, it's coming around. I like it and very much encourage discussion of whatever you guys are enjoying.
ddf
HushedRuin View Post
I'm glad it doesn't appear that you thought I was "calling you out" or being hostile with my questions. Re-reading my words, I can see how they ould be read as combative sounding.

I was definitely part of the problem for a while there. DC through me for a loop. The nerd rage has passed.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 3rd, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #59
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

[quote=HushedRuin;1895216]I changed my bookmark from the main forums page to Random Junk for faster access to 'The Official Wrestling Thread'. A thread about professional wrestling was, for a long time, the only place I saw ANY positivity that WASN'T focused on the past... a thread about faux-violent battles was my lone source of positivity. Let that sink in.

Yep. Basically.

This is one of the bigger issues I'd say The Bloc has right now. If you look at thread starters, I'd say there's a 50% split between "other people" and "Scott Mateo or Jafabian". Those two seem to be thread-starters and people will jump on most of Mr. Mateo's threads to continue the theme of "DCnU sux, lol" and Jafabian's frequent "preview" link threads seem to go quiet.

I started a thread called "What's Exciting You These Days" in a quest for positivity. People responded with indy titles I'd never heard of and ones we don't talk about. I don't know why we're just continuing the snark/near-trolling when the ABSENCE of that used to be A BADGE OF HONOR we had.

I WANT to like it, but it's very much not the same as before. I don't have a whole lot of comic folks to talk to, so I keep coming here. The negativity REALLY killed my enthusiasm for both comics AND the Bloc.

I half-agree because I think it'd give this place a shot in the "new posts" arm/department.

The other half thinks it'd be like napalming the entire Bloc. I'm pretty sure the Political Forum led to an initial exodus of folks before traffic just dropped off a cliff.

I agree with the first part. Those creators don't seem to be around anymore. They seem like busy guys though, so it's understandable.

SUGGESTION: If it's at all possible to get creators to swing by for something like a reddit AMA, then make a section for "Creator Questions". People can post in advance once the creator is announced or during the creator's time here. Then it's not, "C.B. Cebulski, how do you break into comics?" repeated 1,000 times. Being that a creator's presence would be in a thread, it could also be viewed after the creator has returned to their regular life for new members or people who couldn't be on at that time. A "Creator Questions" section and each thread is dedicated to a particular creator (example: "Ask KURT BUSIEK") could get us some of that "nice place" cred back. I remember Danny Bilson & Paul DeMeo were here for a bit and it went terrible for them.

I'd be down to try DC/Marvel/Indy sections, but I don't think it necessarily works out as well here as other places like CBR/Newsarama. We tried it once before and it didn't go so hot. Then again, if we're looking for a revamp, it's worth a shot.

THIS is the question we need to ask. The Bloc used to be "Geoff Johns' forums"/"a nice place". Now we're just "Comic Book Message Board #23".

It's like the site has stopped evolving/changing. Like Tim pointed out earlier, spoon and josh and any of those that might be able to make format changes don't, even when there is a SPECIFIC post "how to improve the bloc?" and suggestions are made, but for the most part nothing gets changed. Why waste time asking questions of what can be done to improve the bloc if you aren't going to at least try and change things?

As I said earlier, we have a lack of thread-starting these days. I'm not sure what it is. I think that's something that maybe fell by the wayside: If you want to talk about something and don't see it in the first page/don't remember it ever being a topic, make it a topic. At the very worst, the mods can merge it & resurrect a previous thread. I remember seeing a Rap thread and thinking, "Why DON'T we ever talk about music-type stuff on here?"

I always imagined Spoon and Dallas just had things to do in order to generally keep the site running and that was why the Mods were appointed for day-to-day/post-to-post duties. I have no idea if this is true though; I just made it up in my mind. [shrug]

Just some of my thoughts.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
You say a lot of good things here.

I did respond to your thread and I believe the only thing I mentioned was Lazarus. One main problem is a book like Lazarus garners nearly zero discussion even though everyone who reads it loves it. Not enough people here read it to hold a real discussion, most of you have no idea what is going on (you could say the same to me about any indy book you read, so this is not a criticizm), and also we as fans have almost nothing invested in it so there is nothing to complain about. I am just along for the ride and am willing to allow it to go wherever Greg Rucka takes it. When it comes to DC or Mavel we have our own idea of what characters should or shouldn't be doing and we have in many cases invested decades in the charcters to the point that we care a real lot about seeing our visions realized. That just isn't the case with indy books and unfortunately most of the best books in the market right now are indy.

I also addressed your point about creators coming by here earlier in this thread. Fact remains you are 100% right that the best thing about this place was the ability to interact with Greg Rucka or Geoff Johns. That worked for them too. They don't need this place anymore. There are way more effecient ways for them to accomplish this, Twitter being the most significant. So I think this is gone and not coming back unfortunately.

THis place can still exist, but it has lost what made it the best Comic book message board. ANd to be honest I don't think its Comicbloc or anyone elses fault. No more than its Kodak's fault people don't use film anymore. The world changed and I don't believe we could have done anything to adapt to it since our framework doesn't fit into the new framework.

Its too bad.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old June 3rd, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #60
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Here's the issue with getting creators to come here and do Q&A... what would be the point?

Now hear me out. With places like Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr and all of social media, which is a HUGE platform where more of your core fanbase will actually be involved it kind of makes doing that here seem irrelevant.

When it comes to comic book forums you have three options really, CBR, Bleeding Cool and Creator based boards (Byrne Robotics, Jynxworld etc...)
Sure their are niche forums which cater to a certain group and even those have there own place.
The thing is, those top three, excluding maybe Bleeding Cool, offer one of the last few places that are forum based for creative to go.
Even then it's extremely limited because of Social Media.

As I see it now, Comic Bloc doesn't fall into any of the categories. It's neither news site or creator based.
Nor is it it's own specialized niche.
What Comic Bloc is, is a former creator based forum that was DC-centric where people occasionally talk and usually in a lamenting manner.

Really, the only thing I can see as "saving" this place is one thing.
Since CBR and Bleeding cool have the news forum game pretty locked in... find a way to make this a creator based board again.
I don't know HOW, but for life to be given back and have this place not be random vbulliten forum #365,888, someone will have to adopt this place.

Just my two cents.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old June 3rd, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #61
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

[quote=Danny Perkins;1895361]
I changed my bookmark from the main forums page to Random Junk for faster access to 'The Official Wrestling Thread'. A thread about professional wrestling was, for a long time, the only place I saw ANY positivity that WASN'T focused on the past... a thread about faux-violent battles was my lone source of positivity. Let that sink in.

Yep. Basically.

This is one of the bigger issues I'd say The Bloc has right now. If you look at thread starters, I'd say there's a 50% split between "other people" and "Scott Mateo or Jafabian". Those two seem to be thread-starters and people will jump on most of Mr. Mateo's threads to continue the theme of "DCnU sux, lol" and Jafabian's frequent "preview" link threads seem to go quiet.

I started a thread called "What's Exciting You These Days" in a quest for positivity. People responded with indy titles I'd never heard of and ones we don't talk about. I don't know why we're just continuing the snark/near-trolling when the ABSENCE of that used to be A BADGE OF HONOR we had.

I WANT to like it, but it's very much not the same as before. I don't have a whole lot of comic folks to talk to, so I keep coming here. The negativity REALLY killed my enthusiasm for both comics AND the Bloc.

I half-agree because I think it'd give this place a shot in the "new posts" arm/department.

The other half thinks it'd be like napalming the entire Bloc. I'm pretty sure the Political Forum led to an initial exodus of folks before traffic just dropped off a cliff.

I agree with the first part. Those creators don't seem to be around anymore. They seem like busy guys though, so it's understandable.

SUGGESTION: If it's at all possible to get creators to swing by for something like a reddit AMA, then make a section for "Creator Questions". People can post in advance once the creator is announced or during the creator's time here. Then it's not, "C.B. Cebulski, how do you break into comics?" repeated 1,000 times. Being that a creator's presence would be in a thread, it could also be viewed after the creator has returned to their regular life for new members or people who couldn't be on at that time. A "Creator Questions" section and each thread is dedicated to a particular creator (example: "Ask KURT BUSIEK") could get us some of that "nice place" cred back. I remember Danny Bilson & Paul DeMeo were here for a bit and it went terrible for them.

I'd be down to try DC/Marvel/Indy sections, but I don't think it necessarily works out as well here as other places like CBR/Newsarama. We tried it once before and it didn't go so hot. Then again, if we're looking for a revamp, it's worth a shot.

THIS is the question we need to ask. The Bloc used to be "Geoff Johns' forums"/"a nice place". Now we're just "Comic Book Message Board #23".

You say a lot of good things here.

I did respond to your thread and I believe the only thing I mentioned was Lazarus. One main problem is a book like Lazarus garners nearly zero discussion even though everyone who reads it loves it. Not enough people here read it to hold a real discussion, most of you have no idea what is going on (you could say the same to me about any indy book you read, so this is not a criticizm), and also we as fans have almost nothing invested in it so there is nothing to complain about. I am just along for the ride and am willing to allow it to go wherever Greg Rucka takes it. When it comes to DC or Mavel we have our own idea of what characters should or shouldn't be doing and we have in many cases invested decades in the charcters to the point that we care a real lot about seeing our visions realized. That just isn't the case with indy books and unfortunately most of the best books in the market right now are indy.

I also addressed your point about creators coming by here earlier in this thread. Fact remains you are 100% right that the best thing about this place was the ability to interact with Greg Rucka or Geoff Johns. That worked for them too. They don't need this place anymore. There are way more effecient ways for them to accomplish this, Twitter being the most significant. So I think this is gone and not coming back unfortunately.

THis place can still exist, but it has lost what made it the best Comic book message board. ANd to be honest I don't think its Comicbloc or anyone elses fault. No more than its Kodak's fault people don't use film anymore. The world changed and I don't believe we could have done anything to adapt to it since our framework doesn't fit into the new framework.

Its too bad.
ddf
HushedRuin View Post
You are giving me far too much credit. Where you quoted me I think some of it was someone else. The first paragraph was me, the second two someone else. So I take it one of two ways. You are lumping ME in with someone with far more intelligence, which makes me look more intelligent than I am, or you are lumping THEM into my circle of idiots...and, my friend, since it's only myself, it's a pretty damn small circle.

I have had a rebirth.
Old June 3rd, 2014   jasonleo is offline   #62
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

Might want to rethink the whole idea that coffee is only for closers.

caught a ride with a trickster and a javelin man
to a town down by the sea
Old June 3rd, 2014   TJLamb0518 is offline   #63
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Here's the issue with getting creators to come here and do Q&A... what would be the point?

Now hear me out. With places like Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr and all of social media, which is a HUGE platform where more of your core fanbase will actually be involved it kind of makes doing that here seem irrelevant.

When it comes to comic book forums you have three options really, CBR, Bleeding Cool and Creator based boards (Byrne Robotics, Jynxworld etc...)
Sure their are niche forums which cater to a certain group and even those have there own place.
The thing is, those top three, excluding maybe Bleeding Cool, offer one of the last few places that are forum based for creative to go.
Even then it's extremely limited because of Social Media.

As I see it now, Comic Bloc doesn't fall into any of the categories. It's neither news site or creator based.
Nor is it it's own specialized niche.
What Comic Bloc is, is a former creator based forum that was DC-centric where people occasionally talk and usually in a lamenting manner.

Really, the only thing I can see as "saving" this place is one thing.
Since CBR and Bleeding cool have the news forum game pretty locked in... find a way to make this a creator based board again.
I don't know HOW, but for life to be given back and have this place not be random vbulliten forum #365,888, someone will have to adopt this place.

Just my two cents.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
I think we need to think outside the box. Like you say, these days creators interact in much more, much quicker ways than message boards. If this is to survive, WE need to generate unique things.

How about this? We all pick a movie a month (or week, but I think that's aggressive to start). We all pick a night and time. We all put that movie in our DVD players (or Netflix Streaming) and we create a thread where we run our own commentary during the film (or...gasp....use the chat room?!?). Like MST3K without the robots. Then we can start reaching out to former members when we do this so maybe THEY can join us. And then friends who like movies. And so on and so on.

Just a thought.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 3rd, 2014   jasonleo is offline   #64
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

How about this? We all pick a movie a month (or week, but I think that's aggressive to start). We all pick a night and time. We all put that movie in our DVD players (or Netflix Streaming) and we create a thread where we run our own commentary during the film (or...gasp....use the chat room?!?). Like MST3K without the robots. Then we can start reaching out to former members when we do this so maybe THEY can join us. And then friends who like movies. And so on and so on.

Just a thought.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
My favorite scary movie is Showgirls.

caught a ride with a trickster and a javelin man
to a town down by the sea